Debating on whether to get an ATIV S or maybe a Neo

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia 820, and have been wanting a phone with a higher resolution screen but still wanted to keep my SD support as I keep all my music on my card. The 1520 is just too big (and expensive) for me right now. So I started to look at Samsung.

And as much as I bag on them, I'm intrigued by these devices. Has anyone used these devices for any extensive period of time? How are they? Should I get the Ativ S or the Neo? Have you installed 8.1, how does it run? I've heard problems about the Ativ with 8.1 and random resets.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Ativ S (model T899M) for a year and a half now. It's a fantastic device. Great battery life, smooth & consistent operation, no random resets even with 8.1... The only bug I've encountered since updating to the preview is the camera bug, which only happened once and was cured by a restart. No regrets with this phone whatsoever.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Have used the Ativ S(t899) for close to a year and have nothing negative to say about it. Beautiful screen, no lags, good sound, decent camera, lightweight and great battery life. Use an sd card without issues. Currently running 8.1 dev preview and only issue is camera glitch which should be fixed with firmware update. Have received all gdrs and use several of the Samsung apps(which are updated regularly). The price of this phone is crazy cheap right now!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry a ton about the camera bug. That was loaded with the developer version of 8.1. If you intend to wait for the official update, hopefully any bugs will have been ironed out.

I can vouch for the Neo. I really liked it and was very impressed with the screen. I love the look of it, although I agree with what Mary Beth staated- it is a slippery little bugger. Otherwise, smooth, responsive, and everytime I played with it I liked it more. A stupid cheap new in box L920 was the only thing that kept me from getting it, and I feel as though I may regret it.

Never used the orignal "S", but I trust Mary Beth and Free State Rocker a ton, so I have no doubt it rocks (pun intended, Free State). I think the internals of the Neo are a tad upgraded, but I doubt it is a big deal in real world use.

Sammy has done well with supporting their devices. I think you will be happy with either.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Also I concur with Mary Beth: It's slippery. Get a case. I found a gel case on Amazon for about $6 CAD which I've been using with no issues for about a year.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Never used the orignal "S", but I trust Mary Beth and Free State Rocker a ton, so I have no doubt it rocks (pun intended, Free State). I think the internals of the Neo are a tad upgraded, but I doubt it is a big deal in real world use.

Sammy has done well with supporting their devices. I think you will be happy with either.

I appreciate the tip of the hat, snowmutt! 👏

IIRC the Neo has a smaller battery, and I'm unsure of any other spec differences. As I mentioned already, battery life on the Ativ S is fantastic. I finish only the heaviest of days with less than 50% remaining, and it charges really quickly, so even those extra heavy days aren't too big of a deal. I carry a 2600mah portable charger when I know I'm going to out late or on my phone a lot, but I rarely have to use it...

And Samsung is VERY underrated in terms of post purchase support. I enjoy frequent firmware updates, as well as frequent updates to the Samsung exclusive apps. The exclusive apps themselves are a mixed bag. Nothing as groundbreaking as Nokia city lens, for example, but App Folders is fantastic, and little things like extra call settings etc add some practicality as well.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! I will probably be purchasing one or the other in the next couple of days. The S is the T899m model and is unlocked, where as the Neo is AT&T. Both are viable options for me. Im leaning more towards the S because of the bigger battery 🔋 and I like its look a little more than the Neo. Can't wait to get it!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You will have to let us know. Sounds like you are leaning to the unlocked "S".

As a side note, I need to amend my comment about the internals. Free States comment on the batter got me curious:

The Neo:
-Slightly heavier (5.1 oz VS. 4.76 oz)
-Has a slightly better graphics chip
-Has the ability to take pictures during video recording, and some other tools for the camera like burst mode and high dynamic range (whatever that is) out of the box.

The ATIV S:
-Bigger battery (2300 Vs. 2000 mAH)
-Higher resolution front facing camera (1.9 VS. 1.2)
-Slightly faster (1500 VS. 1400), though a year older processor.
-Is Super AMOLED screen tech, while the Neo is not.

Everything else- resolution, internal memory, rear camera, RAM, and such are all equal.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just got the phone last night and I have to say that I love it so far. Having Nokia devices for so long, I forgot what a thin and light device felt like! It is slippery though, so I can't wait for my case to come in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99