question beofre buying 1520!!!!!!!

Zohaib Ayyaz

May 11, 2014
Visit site
1. if i update to 8.1 update which is unofficial till now, will i able to update officially when it is released?? and which softwares or tweaks this unofficial update lacks from the final build??????

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
1. if i update to 8.1 update which is unofficial till now, will i able to update officially when it is released?? and which softwares or tweaks this unofficial update lacks from the final build??????

This is not consider as a unofficial update it is the beta version of the official update as a beta it is little buggy.
So in final version the most of the bugs will be rectify and moreover it will come with the firmware update which will optimize the update for your device too.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral Zohaib :smile:
With dev preview ,one can get early acess of the OS update , this isn't not a beta or unofficial release , it's a early final , RTM release which does have some minor bugs but they are all manageable and one can enjoy the phone with ease. Yes if you applied for dev preview you will get the final OS which will include bug fixes and performance improvements along with Nokia firmware update (cyan update ) which will further refine the OS by new drivers , tweaks and optimisation for lumia devices.

Dr Love PhD

Banned
Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
The second update is 8.1. It will take some time. You will see the gears spinning, that is how you know something is going on in the background, and a progress bar. After it downloads the update, it will ask if you want to install.

Dr Love PhD

Banned
Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
One last note. Please do a factory reset as soon as the update is complete after you remigrate your old apps, settings, etc. In other words, just before you begin to really play with it, do the reset. Else, things may not settle in the right place. I reset mine and files were moved in a way that I could no longer choose background task settings because some are automatic and handled better. I would not have known this had I not done a reset. Others also suggest the same.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
calling dr. love >>early kiss tune. wish you had posted this back in april
when i updated my 1520 to DP. i'm good now, but this is the simplest
explanation i have seen.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
WinPhone 8.1 Dev Preview updates the OS. Missing is the firmware from the manufacturer which helps the OS run more efficiently. This is WHY you read of battery drain, etc. - the firmware is not there.

When it's released (for your device or from your carrier) you will go to SETTINGS >> PHONE UPDATE to start the process. Phone Update (automatically) will:
- take a backup of EVERYTHING (for restore in FINAL steps)
- re-flash your OS with the corrected (bug fixes) version of WinPhone 8.1. Also coming along will be the firmware (Lumia Cyan from Nokia) to tie everything together as well as carrier software (if phone is carrier locked).
- restore your backup - fixing Start Screen, favorites, Apps, texts - everything as it was B4 the update WITH the FULL update.

I can speak to this (it was seamless) because I took the last Dev Preview, then waited for Lumia Black to tie everything together. I reiterate, it's totally seamless, just make sure you're plugged in to a charger (or have a full charge), connected to WiFi.

... and for safety's sake, take your own backup before starting, in case anything inadvertently fails. (WiFi drops, server loses connectivity, etc.)

Gurkaran93

May 14, 2014
Visit site
what about the warranty....will it be voided if i install DP? and will i get it back if i install the final 8.1 update once it is released....i dont want to lose the warranty coz my 1520 is just 2 weeks old!!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
what about the warranty....will it be voided if i install DP? and will i get it back if i install the final 8.1 update once it is released....i dont want to lose the warranty coz my 1520 is just 2 weeks old!!
If there's an issue, you can flash the phone (NSU) back to WinPhone 8.0.
If the phone bricks - read the previous sentence.
... but, if you're that skittish, wait till July / August for the official release. Me, I'm enjoying WinPhone 8.1 (and took the update TODAY).

dino73n

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Have a question before buying 1520. Had a L920 and it was more than good. I gave it to my wife and buy myself a nexus5 which I am not happy with. I looking forward to come back on WP and eyeing on the 1520. Do you guys consider swipe/tap bug as a deal breaker and is there a chance to sneak out without it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786