Nokia 920 Melted USB port

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue. My phone is about 8 months old. Still in very excellent physical condition. On Friday night I plugged my phone in to charge with the supplied USB cable and charging block. When I got up Saturday Morning I went to unplug the phone and the USB cable was hot hot. It has never even felt warm before. Phone was fully charged so I never thought anymore of it. I used it all day played some games etc went to plug it in that night and it was a super tight fit and but it popped up saying it was charging. Woke up in the morning and the phone was off. I wiggled the plug around phone turned on with the dead Battery screen then it went to the charging screen and it charged to full.

When I unplugged it Sunday morning I looked at the cable the mini USB end was soft and had melted you could see where the sealing glue had come out with the heat. I looked at the port on the phone and it was yellow (Phone is white) and looked deformed. No matter what I do It won't charge and any cable I plug in and even into my computer it gets instantly hot and I can smell it.

I am waiting to 10am EST to call Nokia support but is this common issue?

CoopII

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Never had it happen, but I have been afraid to look if it did. There are times when they phone got so hot, not warm nut hot! I have found myself using wireless charging more and more... I keep a charger at the office and at home. It may be slower to some, but it not slow and it is pretty efficient. It still gets a little warm, but hot.

I also noticed that it will get extremely hot I'd you are charging it and using it on a call. W/bluetooth, playing a game, music, etc.

I have had my 920 since launch... Though I want a new phone like the 1020 or the 1520, nothing has been a real reason to replace it. I am waiting for a real WP flagship later this year.. I am looking for a 1020 to have on the side too, lol

Good luck with support. I would not settle for less because this is scary... Can cause fire if not electrocution....

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... An update... I was asked to take it to Rogers since it is under warranty. They shipped it off to be repaired but warned me they have never heard of this issue and I will likely have to pay to fix it. They tested my cable and the cable was fine even with the trauma and looks of it. The phone itself was smelling very very burnt so we will see.

CoopII

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I know there have been others up here who reported this happening to them with their 920s as well. Hope you are able to get your phone fixed or a replacement!

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Got my phone back from Rogers. Same phone which is nice. The work order says hardware fault of USB assembly and replaced. Phone works fine charges now and only fault is the same case so the port is yellowed a bit from where the phone over heated. It works well didn't take me to long to load my apps back up hate that I lost all my save games but not a big deal. Just glad it's fixed and at no cost.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar