Lumia 925 TMO Flash Different Firmware

Luiskp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have 2 important Questions, as tomorrow i will get a new Lumia 925 from Tmobile unlocked.

1) Anything I need to care about the phone? Heating? Battery issues? or everything is great?

2) Can I flash a different Firmware from a CV, so I dont need to wait for Carrier Updates someday to 8.1? Which CV would you recommend?

Thanks for your help, and is nice to be back in the WP world (left to the dark side with a Moto X, 3 months ago)

Luiskp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks worldspy.

I understand the possibility to stay with Tmo Firmware, and go with Developer Preview, But in June when 8.1 its official released with Nokia Cyan I know Tmo will take decades to update.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Not on the 925. Also you can pretty much update the little tweaks via Nokia Sys App Pusher for the individual Nokia bits and ATT is not that great with pushing out updates as well. I do not know how to flash the international version Firmware on the 925, if you know it, more power to you.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I ran a Latin American country variant firmware (specifically 059T883 RM-893 VAR LTA MV WHITE) on my T-Mobile 925 for a while. It gets firmware updates within days of international release.
Almost everything works. Cellular reception (LTE HSPA AWS) all works with no issues.
Wifi calling expectedly does not work, but that usually isn't much of an issue.
The only feature I missed on that firmware was the ability to tether. Even if you pay for tethering on T-Mobile, the 059T883 firmware will not work to tether, you WILL get an error trying to enable it. From my experience, the only firmware that allows tethering on T-Mobile with any Lumia is a rogers or at&t firmware with the international sim trick.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I ran a Latin American country variant firmware (specifically 059T883 RM-893 VAR LTA MV WHITE) on my T-Mobile 925 for a while. It gets firmware updates within days of international release.
Almost everything works. Cellular reception (LTE HSPA AWS) all works with no issues.
Wifi calling expectedly does not work, but that usually isn't much of an issue.
The only feature I missed on that firmware was the ability to tether. Even if you pay for tethering on T-Mobile, the 059T883 firmware will not work to tether, you WILL get an error trying to enable it. From my experience, the only firmware that allows tethering on T-Mobile with any Lumia is a rogers or at&t firmware with the international sim trick.

Can you post the link(s) to how to put a different firmware on the phone? I am trying to attempt to put 820 firmware on an 822 just for grins....

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you post the link(s) to how to put a different firmware on the phone? I am trying to attempt to put 820 firmware on an 822 just for grins....
I set up nokia care suite so long ago I don't have any of the information to set up again, but I know I found most of the information on xda-developers forums.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to go from ATT to T-Mobile firmware? It would be nice to have Wi-Fi calling since I'm using my $5 ATT 925 on T-mo...

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to go from ATT to T-Mobile firmware? It would be nice to have Wi-Fi calling since I'm using my $5 ATT 925 on T-mo...

As far as I know, AT&T locks their phones down so you can't change firmware. I know that's the case with the 920 and 1020. There is a workaround for the 920, but it involves using a rogers ROM. Since rogers never sold the 925, I doubt there would be a way to change the firmware on an AT&T 925.

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, AT&T locks their phones down so you can't change firmware. I know that's the case with the 920 and 1020. There is a workaround for the 920, but it involves using a rogers ROM. Since rogers never sold the 925, I doubt there would be a way to change the firmware on an AT&T 925.
Locking doesn't prevent flashing another variant. But you won't get 3G AWS band.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Locking doesn't prevent flashing another variant. But you won't get 3G AWS band.

I'm aware of that, I'm not talking about the phone being sim locked.
AT&T uses a different radio firmware and baseband that disables the AWS band, even though the hardware supports it. With the 920 and 1020, that firmware can NOT be flashed by nokia care suite. (This is AT&T locking down the firmware; it has nothing to do with the phone being sim locked.) There is a workaround for the AT&T 920 currently, but I don't know about the AT&T 925.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans