Update to 8.1 DP as soon as I get the phone?

diego9016

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll finally get my Lumia 1520 in a few hours, and I was wondering if you guys recommend updating my phone to the 8.1DP as soon as I get it or better wait a few days to do it?

Thanks in advance.

azteca911

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for the official consumer release. Let them work out the bugs. I'm still learning all the cool stuff in Windows 8.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to wait, then wait for the official release.

If you intend to install the developer preview before the official release, then do it now, while you are free to do hard resets without loosing anything. IMHO anyone that isn't willing to do a hard reset (at least once after installation) shouldn't install the developer preview at all.

Last edited:

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll finally get my Lumia 1520 in a few hours, and I was wondering if you guys recommend updating my phone to the 8.1DP as soon as I get it or better wait a few days to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure your apps (including camera apps) and system apps (glance, network + etc) are up to date first. Do a couple of restart and update.

Planet X

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat like diego9016. Any minute the doorbell will ring and it will be delivered. If you do a hard reset after install 8.1 DP will that help with gaming performance? I really like the features of WP 8.1 but gaming is also important for me.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't wait. Although I agree with royz. Make sure everything is up to date first. I have had 8.1 beta for several weeks and love it. Have only had one bug which was minimal and didn't affect performance. Fixed it myself, so can't say if first update for dv wp8.1 wohl have done it for me. If you don't like it you can revert back to wp8.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Finally got my Lumia 1520 last night... This thing is huge! I love it!

Awesome, congrats :)
What color you ordered? Is the size an issue while handling?
Howz the overall experience? ;)

I am tired of waiting for 930..and this thing has kept me drooling for quite some time :p
I am gonna get it by this month end :D
Thinking of red as all my past smartphones have been black/gray.
Suggestions from red 1520 owners ?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

diego9016

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, aso soon as I saw it I was really shocked... It's so big, so beautiful. I ordered a white one, with some screen protectors.
I showed it to my gf and she was mad at me because of how big it is, but as she played with it, she was getting in love (pun intended). Now she's telling me to get her "a phone with the squares (tiles)".

This device is so awesome, I'm coming from a Sony Xperia Z1, but now I'll never leave WP.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard. It's an addictive phone with a nice platform. Do keep an open mind about it as most people who transfer platforms tend to look for what they have previously. I'd say learn it then see what you need and then take it from there. Oh and nice you have the white one. Been itching for that color but I bought black several months ago. Still... That white one looks gorgeous

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I think you should go for 8.1 preview. Most of the bugs are fixed. I don't think you'll bother coming back to 8. If you do someone has already posted the link how to.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd go for it, so you won't get used to some WP8 features that have been removed in WP8.1. Except for some bugs with Music app (sometimes it wont open in first try) I have no issues with 8.1 on 925.

Planet X

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
And then the games are lagging like hell isn't it? I will wait. My first 1520 I have updated the first day the 8.1 DP was out but after that Subway Surf wasn't nice to play anymore.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
And then the games are lagging like hell isn't it? I will wait. My first 1520 I have updated the first day the 8.1 DP was out but after that Subway Surf wasn't nice to play anymore.

I haven't noticed that. I like the game, but probably not coordinated enough to survive long. Stupid trains... LoL

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For the past week, I have been in two minds in getting the 1520 after having helped set my friend up on his after installing 8.1 DP (he would not be able to live without the action centre lol and the features in 8.1 sold him). Yup I managed to convince a mate to pull the trigger and get one.. sim unlocked :D. The screen is absolutely amazing damn, I have done the region / keyboard trick and put Cortana on it but left the region on UK as it would annoy him having to switch regions just to buy apps through carrier billing - which I explained to him and he opted to keep it on UK for the time being. So far all I have heard is nothing but praise for WP and complaints about his old Note lol.

So yes, If you are willing to reflash the device back to WP8 if you have any issue with the preview, go for it while the device is fresh. However if you are not one to get your hands dirty and dig in, best wait for the Lumia Cyan Update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss