Question for people using 8.1 Developer Preview

Awbridgers

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I really want to try the developer preview for 8.1, but as you all know it voids your warranty. Has anyone had any problems due to 8.1? And once the 8.1 update actually comes out can I update to that and basically unvoid my warranty because no one will know i had the dev preview on my phone?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I really want to try the developer preview for 8.1, but as you all know it voids your warranty. Has anyone had any problems due to 8.1? And once the 8.1 update actually comes out can I update to that and basically unvoid my warranty because no one will know i had the dev preview on my phone?

Since windows is almost completely done buying Nokia and they offered it it would be silly to **** off owners by voiding their warrenty especially when they are trying to build their WP user base. If that was the case they would have explicitly warned that. And you have the ability to revert to wp8 if you want.

Awbridgers

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't disagree that it would be really dumb for a company that Microsoft is buying to void a warranty for installing something that Microsoft made, but companies do really stupid things all the time to save a few bucks

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Nokia device I would suggest you have about a 70 to 80% chance the warranty won't be voided. If you have a device by another manufacturer (HTC or Samsung for instance) I think your chances are much higher that they will say it voided the warranty.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just reflash using NSU and they wouldn't even know you used DP. That's what's nice about Nokias is that you can do this. Other brands you would be SOL since there really is no way of going back.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I really want to try the developer preview for 8.1, but as you all know it voids your warranty.

Personally I think the discussion of warranty is rather irrelevant. Like others mentioned, if you do run into trouble, all you need to do is revert back to WP8.0 and nobody, not even Nokia, will know WP8.1 was ever on the device.

I'd recommend you start off by doing a hard reset, then follow the guide you'll find on this site for upgrading to WP8.1. When finished, do another hard reset. Note that the upgrade process can take quite some time. You might have to update multiple times and often you'll have to wait up to five minutes, during which time the device appears to be doing nothing. Just be patient. I've upgraded multiple devices this way and have had good success, with none of the battery problems often mentioned.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten dev preview phones replaced for free by VZW under manufacturer warranty (intermittent sound issue that was well-discussed in these forums related to a creaky corner)

I'm confused by the above suggestion to revert to WP8.0, the dev preview as I understand is irreversible.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think what he is asking is if he puts it on now 8.1dp when the general release of 8.1 comes out will his device just update to that or does it not?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I cant understand how people are so baffled about the DP and warranty. You know why its like that? DP might have some bugs and the service centers are not owned by MS, so when people take their handsets for warranty, someone else pays than MS. As DP has not been tested by Nokia,ATT,Verizon whoever, you cant expect them to fix those handsets for free.

That said, you can use a flash tool to revert back to older rom. I have reverted back once with my Ativ S. Nokia has NSU (nokia software updater) for this process. If you want to be sure, before the upgrade download the older rom and NSU so you have them ready if you would need them.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
When I was having issues on my 1520 on the first time of installing the DP I took mine to the local Microsoft store and they flashed mine back to 8.0 for me. They were exceedingly helpful and courteous to me even though they didn't have the software on hand to do this.They downloaded it and called me later in the day to come back,which I did. Total cost $ 0.00

The folks who work at my Window's store went above and beyond to help me,and I have nothing but praise for them there.

If your having problems,I suggest calling and making an appointment to see them if available in your area.

Mac

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The folks who work at my Window's store went above and beyond to help me,and I have nothing but praise for them there.

That kind of service is only possible if few require it. If we'd all need that kind of support, they simply wouldn't be able to provide it. I'd say if you aren't comfortable fixing these sorts of problems on your own, you probably shouldn't be looking to install the developer preview in the first place.

If you aren't comfortable downloading a tool to flash your device, or you think you won't be able to deal with a hiccup or two when using the developer preview, then it's better to wait for the official release.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
That kind of service is only possible if few require it. If we'd all need that kind of support, they simply wouldn't be able to provide it. I'd say if you aren't comfortable fixing these sorts of problems on your own, you probably shouldn't be looking to install the developer preview in the first place.

If you aren't comfortable downloading a tool to flash your device, or you think you won't be able to deal with a hiccup or two when using the developer preview, then it's better to wait for the official release.

I disagree whole heartedly with you.

My Microsoft store has great employees who actually cares about us. Kudos to them.

As to being comfortable doing the DP, I am more than combatable but was unable to get the Nokia Care Suite to run on my outdated PC with Vista on it,and elected to see if they were willing to help,I was even prepared to pay for their assistance if necessary.

I think you aren't giving the folks who work at the various Microsoft stores enough credit,besides,the majority of people using these phones aren't running the DP and won't ever need this service,however they will have a need once 8.1 is out publicly and they will need to have the means to repair or reflash the firmware at the store as they normally have for the other firmware. There are always issues directly related to bad OTA downloads for some folks,since it is not always perfect.

Mac

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
How about we agree to disagree then ;-)

In what regard?

Everything I posted is 100% accurate.

Full Microsoft stores offer support for Microsoft branded devices,do they not?

Granted you are entitled to your opinion,but when voicing something that is not factual, it's better you not voice said opinions........

Mac

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What? Samsung has flash tool for WP.
I must have missed that. Could you kindly point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find it. If there is one, I'm guessing its somewhere on XDA but I couldn't really find anything like NSU like there is for Lumias.
I've gotten dev preview phones replaced for free by VZW under manufacturer warranty (intermittent sound issue that was well-discussed in these forums related to a creaky corner)

I'm confused by the above suggestion to revert to WP8.0, the dev preview as I understand is irreversible.
Being "irreversible" is a tactic to divert consumers from taking the dive and trying DPs. Technically they're all reversible just need the proper tools to reverse it. The reason for reverting is because Microsoft clearly stated it does void warranty as these have bypassed both carrier and OEMs so they are no way optimized for hardware, and there is the slightest chance things can go wrong. If things go wrong for a ginormous amount of users, this would be a financial burden for OEMs, carriers and Microsoft to take responsibility for. Basically, they said it voids warranty as a disclaimer not to take any responsibility for any hardware damages if any should occur due to software. Suggesting to revert merely "satisfies" when you request warranty service that you "didn't" modify software so they can't go "oh you installed beta software that clearly said it voids your warranty" and then refuse service. If you revert before hand they can't make the claim it was your fault for using DP even if it wasn't the DPs fault. It's just to make the process easier in case they try to make it more complicated. In your case VZW reps who helped you weren't aware or just know that its easy to refurbish by flashing so they just didn't care. Now imagine if a ton of people suddenly started having trouble around the time DP releases and were doing this, they'd start saying "nope you all installed 8.1 which Microsoft warned you beforehand that it voids warranty" then just shoo you out the door with your defective device even though it probably wasn't DPs fault.
I think what he is asking is if he puts it on now 8.1dp when the general release of 8.1 comes out will his device just update to that or does it not?
You're correct, it went off topic a little. Updating to official 8.1 would just be like flashing back to 8.0 in the sense of satisfying warranty. No one would even know you had DP 8.1 on there once you update to it, unless they could probably access the update logs in the phone (I'd imagine it works similarly to how Win8 has logs when it updates), which I doubt they'd take the time to even do that, even then, only OEMs and Microsoft probably could do that, and it isn't worth their time.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
You're correct, it went off topic a little. Updating to official 8.1 would just be like flashing back to 8.0 in the sense of satisfying warranty. No one would even know you had DP 8.1 on there once you update to it, unless they could probably access the update logs in the phone (I'd imagine it works similarly to how Win8 has logs when it updates), which I doubt they'd take the time to even do that, even then, only OEMs and Microsoft probably could do that, and it isn't worth their time.

So I'm now confused, so your saying even when the official 8.1 comes out a phone with 8.1dp wont pick it it up and we will be stuck on the preview until we flash a rom on there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12