AIO won't release Lumia Black for the 620

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
What Microsoft/Nokia should do is if you are part of the Developer Preview, release the Cyan update via the same channel. That way you can keep the being screwed by the carrier to a minimum.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
A carrier/manufacturer not supporting a phone with updates made much more sense back when each carrier had a special version of a phone. i.e. Sprint had the Evo 3D, T-Mobile had the Amaze 4G, Verizon had the Rezound, etc. If the carrier wasn't selling the phone any longer and the existing userbase of the phone was locked in for another 1-2yrs, the carrier didn't have an incentive to update, and the manufacturer didn't have an incentive to work on an update for a phone that was not available anywhere else.

However, with phones like the 620, it's the same phone the world over. Nokia already has the firmware complete. aio/Cricket just don't want to release it for whatever reason. In a case like this, Microsoft/Nokia should step in and not let their brand be tarnished.

I'm looking at upgrading from my 620 and my Amaze 4G to something new. I've narrowed it down to the Lumia 930 or the HTC One M7 (unlocked edition). With the 930, my only real avenue to get a version here in the US will likely be AT&T, and I'll be damned if I buy another carrier branded phone. My 620 (and my 521 before that) were just 'toys' to play around with WP8, and even with 'just toys' I'm still very annoyed with not getting updates. If I had paid $500-$600 for the phone, I'd be much more upset.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This is my thought as well. I don't understand this whole carrier approval process. Clearly the phone still works on the network. AT&T's towers haven't fallen over because we manually forced Black onto our phones just now. So why do they have to restrict it from us? Hopefully now that Microsoft acquired Nokia we'll see the firmware become part of the preview as well.

In regards to the aio ringtones and sounds, I don't know if there's some way to get it off. I think you might end up losing those, unless anyone else know of some way to tap into those files. Alternatively, I suppose someone could use an audio cable to connect the phone to the line of a computer and capture the audio that way. It's not a trivial task though...

For the visual voicemail, I don't think you'll get it on Net10. I used to be on Straight Talk (which is basically the same thing under a different name) and they didn't support visual voicemail. Unless things have changed in the past few months that I'm not aware of.

With the tethering, it's interesting that you got it to work. I could never even get it to toggle on in the settings since Aio had disabled it.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This is my thought as well. I don't understand this whole carrier approval process. Clearly the phone still works on the network. AT&T's towers haven't fallen over because we manually forced Black onto our phones just now. So why do they have to restrict it from us? Hopefully now that Microsoft acquired Nokia we'll see the firmware become part of the preview as well.

In regards to the aio ringtones and sounds, I don't know if there's some way to get it off. I think you might end up losing those, unless anyone else know of some way to tap into those files. Alternatively, I suppose someone could use an audio cable to connect the phone to the line of a computer and capture the audio that way. It's not a trivial task though...

For the visual voicemail, I don't think you'll get it on Net10. I used to be on Straight Talk (which is basically the same thing under a different name) and they didn't support visual voicemail. Unless things have changed in the past few months that I'm not aware of.

With the tethering, it's interesting that you got it to work. I could never even get it to toggle on in the settings since Aio had disabled it.

Visual voicemail isn't that big of deal for me, though it is nice. I used to have it forwarded to my Google Voice number, so had VM services through GV.

I can't recall testing the tethering on a stock aio ROM, but I know it works now after my 8.1 update.

Solo842

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Im with you dunn... I believe that Phones should be treated as Hardware and not just an emissary of overpriced carrier services.. its honestly gotten alot better over the past few years. can you imagine an iPhone with a At&T logo under the front glass and a "4G" icon next to The Apple on the back.... i think not... J.Ive, would have thrown a fit..

Luckily we have now networks like "cricket" and other prepaid services that will allow you to BYOD.. but does it really mean we own the device..
You wouldnt ask DirectTV to provide you with a television right... you get my example..

I think the Carrier snobery is best exemplified in the Lumia Icon Release... look at it.. everywhere else it is known as the Lumia 930, yet Verizon, with its brand image, Slapped its logo Everywhere on the Front and back of it, and Restricted Lumia Colors to Black and White Only. Yes Verizon got it first.... but it didnt have to treat the hardware with Bloatware and Branding, the firmware for it does not even have the "peek" option.

I believe that Carriers are Still holding on to the perspective of "the phone is just a way for consumers to access our services". and that if consumers want our serivce they will "update" their hardware every 2 years. which is why we see a blatant disregard for OEM firmware updates and design choices. Consumers now are more savvy and self conscientious when it comes to smartphones, as such, OEMs such as Nokia, Apple, Samsung, LG. have a vested interest, to interact with consumers directly and protect their brand. because now people don't just say, I want a phone on AT&T. They say, "i want an iPhone", or "I want a Lumia" etc..etc...

If the 620 were available on other carriers, we probably would have gotten Black and other updates sooner, but since its an "exclusive" to aio, they could have done as they pleased, luckily our Hardware RM-846 is the same everywhere else, so firmware flashes are easy.

I have thought about looking at the aio ROM to see if i can extract the sound files, but i wouldnt know were to begin with that, seems encrypted.. maybe just try and send the files via email from a aio display phone in a store, to your current phone.. maybe that would work..

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I've not flashed mine yet, so if there is a way to get the sound files off the phone, let me know and I'll zip them up for you guys. I also created a thread on xda, maybe one of the wizards over there will know how to do that.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to update and say that I'm ready to declare the 8.1 battery drain issue fixed with Black (for me at least). I was able to get through a full day today without needing to recharge, which is something that I haven't been able to do since I first updated my phone to 8.1.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site

If you take a look, I was able to get the ringtones. Actually, you can get whatever you want off a ROM. You download the ffu files via the Nokia Care Suite, and there is a tool call FFU ImgMount that will take a downloaded FFU and create a drive in Windows Explorer. I have the wma files, but I'm not sure where to upload them to.

(FFU) ImgMount Tool v.1.0.15

Feels kinda dirty linking to xda, but I think xda and wpcentral serve two different purposes.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Other than the ringtones, boot splash screen, 4G/H indicators, and visual voicemail, I wonder if the aio 620 has anything else different from the global 620?

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to update and say that I'm ready to declare the 8.1 battery drain issue fixed with Black (for me at least). I was able to get through a full day today without needing to recharge, which is something that I haven't been able to do since I first updated my phone to 8.1.

I have the same experience as you. After updating to the GB CV ROM, and installing the 8.1 preview, this phone has had awesome battery life. This is with cortana enabled, wifi always on, no messing with what apps are allowed in the background, etc.

I tested for a few days without my SIM installed and I'd get several days on a charge. Now, I'm using it as my phone, and even several hours after taking it off the charger, it's only dropped a few percent.

AIO/Cricket just ends up looking really bad through all of this. Black update alone didn't add much, but going forward, WP updates are huge and a shame most AIO/Cricket users will be left behind.

Sinjin Lewis

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I realize I am a bit late to this party but since I had an extra AIO Lumia 620 I used the tutorial and Flash Tools found here:
hxxp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515453 (change the hxxp to http)
From the XDA-Developers community to update to Denim (a 2 step update) first to Cyan then to Denim using the current Denim Firmware from Colombia in Central America. I wanted an Americas Country Variant that I knew would work in the US and play nice with Cricket. This process also de-branded the phone (not unlock) the AIO boot screen is now gone.
Product Code for Lumia 620 Country Variant from Colombia is: 059S2D8 (you need this for the firmware download)
Installs OS Version 8.10.12393.890 CYAN
then it OTA updates to 8.10.14219.341 DENIM
Firmware Version 3058.50000.1425.0004
This should enable the ability to get the official Win 10 update when Colombia does, long before the USA. You get all the certified updates this way and are not stuck with a developers Beta version on your phone.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster