iPhone 5 just died on me....need your suggestion

officelurker

May 18, 2014
Visit site
My iPhone 5 just died on me. It was a 32GB model.

Currently my whole eco system revolves around Apple. I have heard many good things about Windows Phone 8.1

I need a new phone. I can either go to the Apple store and pickup a iPhone 5s or run to the Microsoft Store and buy a new Nokia 1020.

Your suggestions as to why I should I pickup a 1020 would be appreciated. I have heard the lag on the camera is a big negative on the Nokia. Other than that, I don't see much difference. I know about the Apps and the disparity between the who OSs.

Also, if going over to the Windows Phone side, would the 1020 be my best bet? Is it the best windows phone?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would check the apps store because for me this is the only difference. IIf you own a MAC, Apple TV, iPad, if I were you I would stay with your iPhone.

Please check out The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) and look for the apps you need. There is a big app gap even thou this platform is almost 4 years old (including windows phone 7) Even the new apps that come out come out on iOS and Android way before windows phone and of course there are exceptions to the rule. More banking apps are out for windows phone now.

I personally like the Windows Phone OS much better than IOS, but I also like having apps. If you don't have an outlook.com account I would start setting one up (this would be your xbox, windows phone, outlook.com email, one drive, office)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Also, if going over to the Windows Phone side, would the 1020 be my best bet? Is it the best windows phone?

It has the best camera but it is not the best phone. On at&t in the US the Lumia 1520 is the best phone. Fortunately or unfortunately it has a 6" screen so if you want a big screen you should be happy. If you don't want a big screen you will be less than happy. On Verizon the Icon is the best and it has a 5" screen. Unfortunately you lose the microSD slot that is present on the Lumia 1520. That may or may not be a big deal to you. I take a lot of pictures with raw DNG files for later editing. That fills storage fast.

Currently my whole eco system revolves around Apple.

I am not sure what that means. I am leaning towards stick with Apple. We really would have to know what critical services you use with apple. If you just happen to have an iphone, ipad, and Mac book then maybe you can switch. If you are heavily integrated with Apple's cloud services and use imessage a lot, etc you are going to have issues with Windows Phone. It really all depends. Also make sure the apps you rely upon are available on WP... or at least there are legitimate alternatives.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
1320 - 1520 also isn't bad...unless Camera is a primary reason for using a phone. Then go with the 1020.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1!

officelurker

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I do use iMessage a lot because the people I text to have iPhones.

But you guys make some good points. Losing iMessage would be huge. I didnt think about that. I use use Reminders on my phone which are synced with Reminders on my MBPr and on my iPad. Now grant it I could use some other service for tasks that syncs across devices.

For my files I use Dropbox which would work with WP.

Would WP handle my Gmail accounts properly? i.e sync my email ,calendar and contacts without any issues?

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say the 1020 is the best windows phone. I guess that depends on what you're looking for. On paper, it has a better camera than other phones out there. But the start up lag is an issue for some. Honestly, I do wish it would start up faster. I guess it is a trade off I made.

In terms of app support, just want to warn you that even though there are apps on Windows Phone, it doesn't mean that it supports all the features that iOS or Android version has. For example, I use Endomondo app. I want to use the heart rate monitor with this app. Unfortunately, Endomondo doesn't support heart rate monitor. I actually have a Nexus 4 I use when I do my runs. It's dumb but oh well.

I have a friend that got the 1520. The phone is much larger than the 1020. I tested the camera quality briefly during the day. The quality of the image seems to be comparable. But I read somewhere that for night shots, the 1020 is still better. The 1520 has a much faster camera start up time. He said that's important since he needs to take pictures of kids some times.

My guess is that in the future, AT&T will release updates for 1520 sooner than 1020 since the 1520 is a newer phone. But I'm just guessing.

If you can live with the bigger form factor on the 1520, I'd say go for that.

My $0.02...

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
If your passion for photography using a camera phone, hands down get the Lumia 1020. There is no camera phone out there that rivals it. Not even close. As for apps, depending on what you use on iPhone. Some locality apps might not be available (Banking apps, country specific ones for e.g) I myself found it hard when I first switch. However, there's always the full browser support for accessing those websites anyway. If you are into games, I suggest you head down to windowsphone dot com to browse and see for yourself the equivalent apps or games if they are available.

It's been a year since I've switched from iOS and Android to Windows Phone 8.0, now 8.1DP2, and I say its worth it.

If I could choose again, I'd go with Lumia 1020 or Lumia 925. 1520 has big screen and nice for video but I don't do video as much. 1520 is also good for work as Excel, Word, PDF is easier on a big screen.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_sea_206 using Tapatalk

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I do use iMessage a lot because the people I text to have iPhones.

But you guys make some good points. Losing iMessage would be huge. I didnt think about that. I use use Reminders on my phone which are synced with Reminders on my MBPr and on my iPad. Now grant it I could use some other service for tasks that syncs across devices.

For my files I use Dropbox which would work with WP.

Would WP handle my Gmail accounts properly? i.e sync my email ,calendar and contacts without any issues?

My gut reaction was that you should get a new iPhone to stay consistent with your ecosystem, but I guess now would be a good time to try Windows Phone because if you don't like it you could switch back to the iPhone when the new ones come out this fall. I can tell you that Gmail works seamlessly for me on Windows Phone. I don't know about the calendar and contacts because I use Outlook. Good luck!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 5s has a very good camera. Out of all devices out there it is easily a top 5 camera. It had the dual led flash to make your photos at night look more natural.

As for drop box there are some. Third party apps but you be best to go with one drive as it offers two way sync. Drop box you can only download the documents but can't upload them to Dropbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
It will pull your Google contacts down as well, along with calendar if those are ticked in the email accounts bit. I think in 8.1 it can grab your iPhone contacts via iCloud now as well, but I haven't tried it (I don't own a relevant iDevice lol).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that you must deactivate iMessage, which is best done from an iPhone with your SIM in it (which is of course difficult if your iPhone is broken). This Apple oddity surprises and frustrates a lot of people moving to other platforms, because it isn't obvious why text messaging, which always worked so well inside the Apple bubble, doesn't work outside it.

I'd say if you want to switch things up and try something new, the sooner you do so the better. Apple will only make changing more inconvenient going forward. The services you mentioned should be fine, with the exceptions of DropBox and iCould. WP is a very cloud centric OS and it is designed to interface with OneDrive. The alternatives are simply far less elegant.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget that you must deactivate iMessage, which is best done from an iPhone with your SIM in it (which is of course difficult if your iPhone is broken). This Apple oddity surprises and frustrates a lot of people moving to other platforms, because it isn't obvious why text messaging, which always worked so well inside the Apple bubble, doesn't work outside it.

I'd say if you want to switch things up and try something new, the sooner you do so the better. Apple will only make changing more inconvenient going forward. The services you mentioned should be fine, with the exceptions of DropBox and iCould. WP is a very cloud centric OS and it is designed to interface with OneDrive. The alternatives are simply far less elegant.

Or you might find yourself in this position: someone has taken it upon themselves to try and sue Apple for up to $5m because the claimant feels that Apple are withholding some messages sent via iMessage to her since she switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S5 and kept her number.

Source: iPhone-stroker-turned-fandroid sues Apple over iMessage text-slurpery • The Register

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My iPhone 5 just died on me. It was a 32GB model.

Currently my whole eco system revolves around Apple. I have heard many good things about Windows Phone 8.1

I need a new phone. I can either go to the Apple store and pickup a iPhone 5s or run to the Microsoft Store and buy a new Nokia 1020.

Your suggestions as to why I should I pickup a 1020 would be appreciated. I have heard the lag on the camera is a big negative on the Nokia. Other than that, I don't see much difference. I know about the Apps and the disparity between the who OSs.

Also to mention... Not knowing what's the specific problem but based off of what you said your cheapest option might be changing the battery in your iPhone. changing an iPhone battery is also a fairly easy and straight forward 5 minute fix.

Subserved_Meteor

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am using a Lumia 925 and love it! camera is great, optical image stabilisation and the whole look is really top notch. battery lasts me easily a day when I'm at uni from 9am - 6pm or sometimes even longer. It also isn't as "big" as the Lumia 1020, light and fits into your hand very easily. But as others already mentioned, if you are fully utilising the apple ecosystem with iPad, iMac etc...i'd suggest you stick with it and go for an iPhone...camera is not as good as with lumia, but easily better than many other phones. Maybe go to a Microsoft store and play around with some of the phones and see how you like it? ;-)
Hope I could help

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I suggest highly that you go to a store and look at the phones in person. The 1020 feels huge in comparison to the iPhone.

Also keep in mind that the 1020 is on the market for almost a year now, and apart from the camera it has the hardware of the 920 which was released 18 months ago. It won't give you disadvantages using the phone, Windows Phone 8.1 runs very well on the hardware. It's just not top notch anymore.

Also have a look at the apps, I'm always a little jealous when I see how good and regularly updated my iPad apps are. Else I think Windows Phone 8.1 is definitely worth a look.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've owned a fair number of Windows Phones so hopefully this feedback helps:
1- WP 1020 - Great phone, the camera is blow your f'ing mind away good. There is a visible delay between pictures, which you will feel intensely coming from an iPhone. However, the picture quality of the larger files cannot be overstated. The amount of zooming you can do before the picture degrades will amaze. I eventually upgraded my phone, but I still miss the insane power of this camera. Also, the giant camera hump makes the phone slightly awkward to hold. A great phone, but something to keep in mind.
2- Nokia Icon - I see this as being an ideal phone for a lot of people. It's bigger (5"), but not so big as to give people problems as the 1520 may be. The camera is quite good and will annihilate anything that you can get from the apple world.

Last week at happy hour we were taking some pictures and because of the lighting (dimly lit indoors, setting sun in the background causing silhouettes) my friends with iPhones couldn't take a single picture worth keeping. I busted out the Icon very quickly had several good pictures, despite the lighting challenges and messaged them to the whole group.

That is one of the things that is so radically better with Nokia WPs that it's hard to describe. The camera and camera software quality is so much better than what you get with iPhones. Especially in low light situations. It will blow your mind.

tldr - I'd recommend phones in this order to the average user - Icon, 1520, 1020, 920 (everything else would be too old).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077