Should I take off the screen protector?

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is now 5 months old, and I'm thinking of not using screen protector anymore (it's been there since day one). But I take it in and out of my pocket pretty often, so could it be a disaster?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I used it once but had issues with proximity sensor. No issues here (it depends on how you handle/use your phone ? do you keep your phone with keys in same pocket ? use it with oily hand) . Don't forget when you remove the protector clean the screen every week :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It will be fine, but when gravity strikes above a gritty floor, it won't be too pretty. I'd keep the screen protector on. I foregone one from September up to recently, and there were a couple accidents causing significant scratchage (by my standards) but the microscratches were present. I'd keep it on. Unless its gotten ugly.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Nothing stays in the same pocket, and my hands ain't oily. The screen protector is looking a little shabby now though.
There has been only one drop so far (and it's not caused by me), and I still clean the screen every week lol.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
No. Don't take the screen protector off your 920. That glass doesn't scratch but the coating over it, does. And from appearances, it looks like any other scratch. If you have it protected, leave it on. If you have a cheap protector, invest in quality protection.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
No. Don't take the screen protector off your 920. That glass doesn't scratch but the coating over it, does. And from appearances, it looks like any other scratch. If you have it protected, leave it on. If you have a cheap protector, invest in quality protection.

I've seen a video on pocketnow, after 3 months the screen is almost scratch-free.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I don't understand. The protectors get scratched, wrinkled, bubbled, and often just look crappy. I generally hate them.

But it is better then your screen being scratched, which just looks crappy.

I vote leave it on. Messed up a lot of screens. Trust me.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
The 920 has a curved screen - the screen protector must be made with the exact dimensions of the screen, otherwise I found that it's difficult to stick it on as it keeps fraying along the edges due to the curve. So when going for a screen protector, make sure to get one from a reputable brand. I got a Nillkin screen protector along with my Nillkin snap case, and I was very happy with it as it is cut perfectly according to the 920's screen size. It was a bit hard to align it correctly at first, but the fit was perfect - don't even know that it's there after applying it.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Some batches of 920 definitely had bad screens which were prone to easily being scratched, my previous (newly supplied by tmobile) ) 920 mysteriously acquired lots of fine scratches on the screen even though I was very careful about looking after it, when the phone then became faulty I received a new replacement and the screen immediately felt different, it felt much 'slippier' to the finger and 7 months on there isnt a single mark on the screen even though I've treated it exactly the same as my previous 920.
The screen on my tmobile replacement phone is, without doubt, 'different', and much superior to the previous screen.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a video on pocketnow, after 3 months the screen is almost scratch-free.
Rubino talked about this as well in one of his blogs. But, if that 3 months and almost scratch free video is enough proof, may the force be with you. I keep a constant vigil over what comes into contact with my phone and somehow, a scratch appeared.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
similar as others here. If you have one on now and it is functional and doesn't look bad (no scratches, bubbles etc) keep it on. I went without a screen protector for more than a year. I dropped the phone once and dented it on the corner (changed housing in the meantime). But it will happen and so it did to mine as well. I have no idea how I got them. The phone must have been sliding over some rough surface someplace and I did not notice. But there were micro scratches in the glass. Not many and now I am using a screen protector that is ultra clear and hard. It almost feels as good as glass. It does leave grease from finger prints more than glass of course.
But it's good to know it's protected from accidental slips over harsh surfaces etc for now.
cheers

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there a good glossy (non rubber feeling) screen protector that covers the edges of the 920? I currently use the one from xtemeguard and it serves the purpose but the surface has a rubbery texture and feeling to it.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Is there a good glossy (non rubber feeling) screen protector that covers the edges of the 920? I currently use the one from xtemeguard and it serves the purpose but the surface has a rubbery texture and feeling to it.

Dunno too. The previous one I used left the edges open, and doesn't look pretty.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I had an HTC Desire HD for 2,5 years without a protector and the glass is in pristine condition still. And that didn't even have any special glass like Gorilla Glass.

I honestly don't know what people do to their smartphones that causes their glass to scratch. I say take the protector off. One of the charms with the Lumias is the amazing curved glass. Just keep it in a pocket of its own, and don't place it face-down on surfaces.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12