Anyway to flash Windows 8 RT on a Windows Phone?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Technically it can be done, but no one has tried. Even a dell 2 in 1 ran windows rt using the old Snapdragon S4, found in the 9 series Lumias.

I would love if someone at least tried it.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Technically it can be done, but no one has tried. Even a dell 2 in 1 ran windows rt using the old Snapdragon S4, found in the 9 series Lumias.

I would love if someone at least tried it.

I thought that they were essentially the same kernel. Let me ask you...what do you think would be the biggest obstacles in achieving this? Also, I don't have an xda account, but if someone wants to post this question I'd be happy to follow it and donate to this development as well.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The fact that windows RT shares the same kernel, and the specs are very much the same, depending on the device at least, I'm sure it CAN be done. Its a matter of how though. I'm sure it would take a lot of time and tinkering around

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the first obstacle would be gaining enough access in the device. We don't have that in most devices.

After that, we need to figure out how to make RT talk to the components properly. Phone components are exactly off-the-shelf plug-n-play parts.

and so on.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
While RT offers more capabilities as an OS than WP does, there would be many drawbacks as well to running RT in its current form on a 1520. Even if you managed to get WiFi working, you would likely not be able to use the carrier network meaning no phone calls and no texts, at least not in the traditional sense. In fact, there won't be any built in capability to even do calls or texts if you miraculously managed to get carrier access working. Apps optimized for the smaller screen would no longer work. The 1520 is a $600 phone which would just end up being a 6 inch tablet. I don't see why anyone would want to do that. Why not wait for tomorrow's Surface Mini announcement? Perhaps they will have something running RT with a slightly larger screen and for half the price.
Otherwise, all indications are that Microsoft is working to unify Windows RT and Windows Phone in a future release of Windows, maybe as early as next year in Windows 9.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
While RT offers more capabilities as an OS than WP does, there would be many drawbacks as well to running RT in its current form on a 1520. Even if you managed to get WiFi working, you would likely not be able to use the carrier network meaning no phone calls and no texts, at least not in the traditional sense. In fact, there won't be any built in capability to even do calls or texts if you miraculously managed to get carrier access working. Apps optimized for the smaller screen would no longer work. The 1520 is a $600 phone which would just end up being a 6 inch tablet. I don't see why anyone would want to do that. Why not wait for tomorrow's Surface Mini announcement? Perhaps they will have something running RT with a slightly larger screen and for half the price.
Otherwise, all indications are that Microsoft is working to unify Windows RT and Windows Phone in a future release of Windows, maybe as early as next year in Windows 9.

Thanks. Question: Which RT tablets are SIM capable? Also, I did read some time ago that rt and WP were combining, but I didn't know if someone had started the process on their own just in case 2015 turns into 2016, 17, or 18. LOL.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Question: Which RT tablets are SIM capable? Also, I did read some time ago that rt and WP were combining, but I didn't know if someone had started the process on their own just in case 2015 turns into 2016, 17, or 18. LOL.

The only one is the Surface 2 LTE (10+ inch screen) that is SIM capable but will only support data, not voice or SMS (unless using Skype or another VoIP or Internet texting app).

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought the Lumia 2520 has LTE cellular in it

Yes, you are correct. I totally forgot about that one since most of us regularly only discuss the Surface line and other OEMs are not currently supporting RT. Regardless, it's very similar to the Surface 2 LTE and I doubt Microsoft will continue 2 separate lines of similar tablets. I think the OP is looking for a smaller device running RT. Let's see what is announced this morning.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So, anyone watched the live event today? I did! What do you guys think about the new pen app/one note capabilities that was announced today, but on a phablet? Personally, I would love this on a 1520-type device! This (and mutitasking window) is exactly what I would need for a business phone. What are your thoughts?

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you are correct. I totally forgot about that one since most of us regularly only discuss the Surface line and other OEMs are not currently supporting RT. Regardless, it's very similar to the Surface 2 LTE and I doubt Microsoft will continue 2 separate lines of similar tablets. I think the OP is looking for a smaller device running RT. Let's see what is announced this morning.

from the specs page on the 2520. i see no cellular. only data

Data Network .
LTE network bands2: 4 .
.LTE max data speed DL3: 150 Mbps .
.LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps .
.WCDMA network4: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1900 MHz, 2100 MHz.
.WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 21.1 Mbps .
.WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps .
.GSM network5: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz.
.GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps .
.GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps .

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Hey, just checking in to see if you watched today's press event. Just to clarify, I don't want a smaller device running RT (such as a mini Surface), I actually want a phone that also runs RT. In other words, I want to do everything on my phone that is done with RT, and especially that the new pen functionality announced today with Surface P3! :) Essentially, I am looking for a "Note" type of device, but on WP. So, I guess a combination of a WP and RT, or maybe if you have to make it a 6" RT device with phone, SMS, MMS, etc. capabilities...a true phablet in my eyes!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey, just checking in to see if you watched today's press event. Just to clarify, I don't want a smaller device running RT (such as a mini Surface), I actually want a phone that also runs RT. In other words, I want to do everything on my phone that is done with RT, and especially that the new pen functionality announced today with Surface P3! :) Essentially, I am looking for a "Note" type of device, but on WP. So, I guess a combination of a WP and RT, or maybe if you have to make it a 6" RT device with phone, SMS, MMS, etc. capabilities...a true phablet in my eyes!

Welp, you're out of luck for now.

I heard of a phone prototype or something that ran full, x86 Windows 8 a long time ago, I dont know where that went.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb