Wireless Charging Mod into T-Mobile case

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had all the parts ready and I finally made the modification. I have a T-Mobile case that was $30 but was on sale for around $11. Here is a photo of the 521 version. It is a case with a holster that has a good solid secure feel when holding the phone.
T-Mobile 521 case sm.jpg
Here is a photo of the Nokia charging shell and the T-Mobile shell
2 untouched cases sm.jpg
I peeled out the first layer then the charging coils and reattached them to one piece.
Charging Coil sm.jpg
I then inserted that into the new shell using the camera and flash holes for alignment. This was the finicky part as I had to remove and reposition once. I used a caliper to measure from the speaker cutout to the first pin and make sure the opposite measurement was the same. The pins need to be exactly centered. I also lined up the edge of the coil assembly with the top edge of the speaker cutout. The second time was a charm as it then started working.
Done sm.jpg
Here is a photo with the charging indicator on. Note you need to hear the charging chime to know it is working. The indicator will turn on even with the pins out of line.
Charging Light sm.jpg
If the kickstand on the case is deployed you can see the charging coil. This is something I don't use and will keep it closed.
Coils-Showing sm.jpg
I was happy and lucky the thickness of the coil didn't prevent me from using the case. I thought I might have to cut a recess for the block that holds the three pins but everything snapped together.:smile:

I am going to make a stand for the charge plate and phone and replace my land line very soon. If it comes out nice I will add a photo. AT&T had the charge plate for $25 and the charge cover was also $25 from a thread I found here. Wireless charging for $62 less shipping and tax. I'm happy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans