Updating Lumia 1520 to WP8.1

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937).

I'm thinking of updating it today to WP8.1 using developer preview. But before I do that, I wanna ask those who own the same phone as me what are the bugs or issues that you encountered when you installed it. I don't wanna mess up the camera, microphone, battery, etc. Is it all working well now?

I forgot to ask: how big the estimated file size of the WP8.1 OS?

Last edited:

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I just had it updated yesterday, gmail screwed up for some reason and I had to hard reset the unit. Luckily did a backup to the cloud and managed to restored most of the things..except some game progress was gone forever.

The other thing i noticed was the battery consumption, it drain so fast when i had Cortana turned on. I had it turned off and probably will test it again. Other than that, WP8.1 is awesone!!

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I just had it updated yesterday, gmail screwed up for some reason and I had to hard reset the unit. Luckily did a backup to the cloud and managed to restored most of the things..except some game progress was gone forever.

The other thing i noticed was the battery consumption, it drain so fast when i had Cortana turned on. I had it turned off and probably will test it again. Other than that, WP8.1 is awesone!!

You can still use the front and main camera, microphone, wifi with no problems? And how fast did the battery drain? It seems to go on for 2 days with regular use, hopefully it doesn't go down to less than a day when updated.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Done updating to 8.1, no issues with the camera, microphone and wifi. Hopefully no issues at all with come out.

And Cortana is awesome!

Joaquim Reis

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Dont forget to install the WP8.1 latest update (might have to install or reactivate preview for developers) that fixes battery performance :)

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Dont forget to install the WP8.1 latest update (might have to install or reactivate preview for developers) that fixes battery performance :)

I'm at 8.10.12382.878. Battery seems okay. Went from 100% to 83% in about 30mins, maybe because I was configuring Cortana, testing my apps, etc. My phone seems to run even faster now.

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm at 8.10.12382.878. Battery seems okay. Went from 100% to 83% in about 30mins, maybe because I was configuring Cortana, testing my apps, etc. My phone seems to run even faster now.

You can check what app draining most of your batteries via "Battery saver". It's Cortana in my case. Btw, i'm on 8.10.12382.878 too. :)

Joaquim Reis

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thats the latest version :) f tou went down from 100 to 83 in 30min, with previous version you would have like 60 percent xD

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Thats the latest version :) f tou went down from 100 to 83 in 30min, with previous version you would have like 60 percent xD

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Lolz...that's crazy... Meanwhile i'll have Cortana standby for now. I had it on my Lumia620 though...surprisingly it just won't drain battery as fast as my Fatty phone..

soothsaier

May 18, 2014
Visit site
At first battery seems to drain quickly. Cortana acts as a catalyst in battery draining.
After prolonged use, battery life has improved and a recent update has aided it.
WP8.1 is around 800mb.
The developers preview comes in three updates. The first two being minor ones.
Make sure your battery is fully charged when you do the update.
I experienced lag in whatsapp after the update.
:)

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
You can check what app draining most of your batteries via "Battery saver". It's Cortana in my case. Btw, i'm on 8.10.12382.878 too. :)

I checked the usage on battery saver and Cortana is the one that's been using much of my battery too. But the draining seems to have slowed down now, compared to how it was earlier.

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
*sigh*...I'm just speechless with my L620. It's been 5hours after full charged, the phone still have 88% battery on it. I played around with Cortana a bit and played Music via Nokia MixRadio for about an hours or more... Guess the fast battery deplete only happen to my L1520 though. Probably i should give her a 2nd chance...will see...

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Something bad happened: I turned on Cortana again on my L1520 when I got home, went to take a nap after i did that.

When i got up, the phone was so hot that it can almost boil an egg, I unlocked the phone and the Start screen is not showing up. It just showed: "Resuming", nothing work from there. After a while i managed to call up Cortana via the "search" button, and then I realized that the power button is responding too so I went and power down the unit right away.

The phone still heating up after reboot, I took a backup into the cloud and hard reset it. Started the phone fresh without restore the backup. Cross my finger that it won't happen again.

Please share if any of you faced the same problem.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Something bad happened: I turned on Cortana again on my L1520 when I got home, went to take a nap after i did that.

When i got up, the phone was so hot that it can almost boil an egg, I unlocked the phone and the Start screen is not showing up. It just showed: "Resuming", nothing work from there. After a while i managed to call up Cortana via the "search" button, and then I realized that the power button is responding too so I went and power down the unit right away.

The phone still heating up after reboot, I took a backup into the cloud and hard reset it. Started the phone fresh without restore the backup. Cross my finger that it won't happen again.

Please share if any of you faced the same problem.

Do or did you have Cortana on a live tile on the start screen? It is causing a lot of problems with other people.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
The latest update seems to have fixed my draining battery problem, I have most stuff turned on including Cortana as a live tile. I've had zero issues with the 8.1 DV Preview.

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Do or did you have Cortana on a live tile on the start screen? It is causing a lot of problems with other people.

Hmmmm... I'm not so sure about that. But thing is the phone didn't heat up after hard reset (without restore backup). I left it idled overnight for 6.5hours with Cortana, wifi and location on; the battery went down from 99% to 96%... Hope it won't go crazy again, will update again after a day or two, thanks.

Update: I'm certain the issue is coming from Cortana Live tile. The heat up issue (Start screen "hung/resume" when unlock) still occurred randomly. For the past few days, the issue didn't show up anymore after I removed Cortana Live tile (still have Cortana running at the background though).

Last edited:

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have lumia 625 with amber on it. I dont know how to get developer version.

I want to update my phone to 8.1.

can you help me out ??

I think you need to first have your phone updated to Black. You can do so, by checking for update in settings. Once updated, you need to download Preview for developers app from store. Register yourself with your windows id. Go to phone settings and then check for updates. It will show you update for 8.1 then. This is not the official release of 8.1 but has everything that MS has to offer with 8.1 release.

Hope that helps!

Sent from Lumia 525 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa