Unlocking an AT&T Lumia 1020 for international usage

Lithon

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I bought a Lumia 1020 this year from AT&T and then this month I traveled overseas, and I am still overseas. Later when I arrived at my destination I inserted the local SIM but then it hit me that the phone is locked! So, I chatted with AT&T customer support online and they told me I cannot obtain a code until my contract ends in 2016!

On the topic of online phones unlocking's websites, is it true if I unlocked an AT&T phone -using these websites' codes- I will not when I travel back to the states get any LTE service or 4G because I unlocked my phone "illegally" ? Is there any cons to this way?

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
It should be your simcard and account giving you the 4g you should be able to have a long line of 4g enabled phones both unlocked and at&t locked and be able to insert your simcard in any of them and get the 4g service if available in current area.

Lithon

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
It should be your simcard and account giving you the 4g you should be able to have a long line of 4g enabled phones both unlocked and at&t locked and be able to insert your simcard in any of them and get the 4g service if available in current area.

So unlocking the phone by using the codes from these unlocking websites will NOT block me from using AT&T LTE or 4G networks? and won't downgrade me to use 3G or something else?

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i carnt confirm this as the networks here in uk arent so strict re unlocking..
But id like to know how at&t would know how youve unlocked it anyhows ;-) .
I think those online unlock sites buy the unlock codes direct from nokia not the networks themselves. Unfortunately you carnt do this yourself as you'd need to be purchase lots of them on a regular basis.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
AT&T will not unlock until your phone is paid off. If you got a subsidized phone that'll be the end of your contract.

After that it's pretty easy to get an unlock code, although before then they may be a bit reluctant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb