Sell me on a 1520 (or 1020)

livemusicfan

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Here I go again....I really could use some honest opinions from users, especially those of you that have used multiple platforms.

Let me give you my background. I have been an iPhone user since the beginning and we are all Apple in my house (iPods, iPads, iPhones). I have been following Windows Phone for some time and am ready to make a decision for my next device. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 for work and have slowly been getting used to Android but find many things frustrating. I also have a Surface RT that does not get much use, I have actually been toying with the idea of selling it and going back to an iPad. I purchased a 2520 last month and returned it, just didn't see the need to have two RT devices. My daughter will be getting her first phone this weekend and I went with a Lumia 520 so I could avoid the contract and the price is easy to swallow should she break or lose the phone.

That being said, my analysis paralysis is preventing me from pulling the trigger. I was at the AT&T store today and played with the 1520, the 1020, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a Galaxy S5. I would love to find a larger device than my iPhone 5S that could bridge the gap between a tablet and a phone. I am also looking for something that can be used as a good GPS in the car.

I do use Gmail but am warming to the idea of switching to outlook.com. My credit union does not have an app but I assume I can just go to the website, same for my new online bank, Simple. I am a heavy viewer of Instagram, occasional Facebook, Zite for news, Netflix, Kindle, and a couple others. I am willing to use OneNote over Evernote but will miss Chrome. I update a blog each week on Blogger, check eBay, pay for Starbucks with an app, and general web surfing. I also like the HBO and Amazon Prime apps

Music is a must, I know I will lose iTunes Radio but will need to stream my music via Google Play (unless it can be streamed some other way).

So what do you think? Will I love a 1520/1020, should I give Android a shot, or just stick with my iPhone and hope one day I get a bigger screen option?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:

Cubacat

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Two units come to mind, the Nokia 1520 or Samsung Note 3. I came from an Android environment and still love Android but I do holiday a bit. The 1520 with its offline maps was brilliant and that married with the Nokia wireless charger / phone holder was great for not needing to hire the GPS option on hire cars. Plus walking around in a town without the need to ask for directions was a must. The camera was just fantastic, the battery is great though the video I am still working out. It is good but I think the Samsung has the win on that front. The 1020 camera, nothing beats that for photo buffs. In the end it is personal choice but I love the 1520. The 1020 has a great GPS as well.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're on AT&T the best advice I could probably give you would be to get whichever device strikes your fancy most and test drive it for the duration of the return period. If you don't like it, take it back before the return period expires and get something else. No harm, no foul.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My daughter will be getting her first phone this weekend and I went with a Lumia 520 so I could avoid the contract and the price is easy to swallow should she break or lose the phone.<-- Smart girl...

I am also looking for something that can be used as a good GPS in the car. <-- The offline maps will work well for you.

I do use Gmail but am warming to the idea of switching to outlook.com. <-- Has something changed? My 1520 still gets my yahoo, gmail and a host of other emails I use for different purposes

My credit union does not have an app but I assume I can just go to the website, same for my new online bank, <-- Mine doesn't either, but I have been tweeting them and ask every time I go in, so now they are working on it. As a matter of fact they just got the mobile web page up.. Cool Beans..

Simple. I am a heavy viewer of Instagram, <-- I hear Instagram beta is good, but I use 6Tag. Sometimes 3rd party apps do more.

occasional Facebook, <-- I have 2 facebooks loaded, the regular one and Explorer for Facebook. I moderate a FB page and the regular FB won't let me add users. But has a great UI, the Explorer for FB will let me add, but has a lousy tile. LOL

Zite for news, Netflix, Kindle, and a couple others. <-- Most in the store, if not, then there are 3rd parties that work well.

I am willing to use OneNote over Evernote <-- Never tried Evernote, but one note works well.

but will miss Chrome. <-- Check out UC Browser, and IE11 isn't too bad either

Music is a must, I know I will lose iTunes Radio but will need to stream my music via Google Play (unless it can be streamed some other way). <-- I use Pandora for some music. But I have a 128GB Sandisk card I bought off Amazon in my 1520 that holds my collection so I don't stream much, but there are different ones to stream with.

So what do you think? Will I love a 1520/1020, should I give Android a shot, or just stick with my iPhone and hope one day I get a bigger screen option? <-- This is a personal choice, but since your whole ecosystem is Apple, it would make sense to stay that way and wait for iPhone6 or 7.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

livemusicfan

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I did not really think about an SD card with music, great idea. Can I move the music from my Mac to the card and then still let the phone save pictures and video as well?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
On 8.1 you can put just about everything on the sd card, and in the Storage Sense you can make it go there automatically...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes