External Wireless Charging Solution?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't see why that wouldn't work either, although it seems a bit cumbersome to me. Probably the only option though.

Still, that's pretty cool.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I really love my HTC 8x, but I wish I had wireless charging (dammit Verizon!), so I was wondering if this sort of external pad will work with the device.

Amazon.com: Universal QI Wireless Charging Receiver film for micro-USB of All Android Mobile (Port B): Cell Phones & Accessories

I can't see why it wouldn't, but double-checking never hurts.

best,

​Sheik

I use Nokia's wireless charging base and it works fine for my HTC 8x. Not sure why you say that the 8x doesn't have wireless charging. I'm also on Verizon.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-DT-900-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2585798

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind some research and trial and error. Qi pads can be bought. They are as thin as double sided tape and can be wired into the phone. Of course there are different sizes. Placement has to be figured out as bad placement can change the frequency. But it can be done and quite well. My friend has his girlfriends Samsung gs3 and his Nokia Symbian n8 wired for qi. No bulky adapter or case needed. Even works through her hello kitty case.

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I too have recently stumbled upon these, and wondered the same thing.... Dont want the pricey ugly qi case or want to hack and mod if this is a cheaper and easier option...?

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you need to buy the Qi charging receiver film and go through the hassle of hooking it up to your USB connector/charger when the HTC 8x from Verizon has wireless charging built into it? I bought the Nokia Qi charging pad and every night I simply put my phone on it and it charges wirelessly. I have a case on my 8x and it charges with the case on.

So what am I missing that you need to use the Qi charging films? Do they do something else?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you need to buy the Qi charging receiver film and go through the hassle of hooking it up to your USB connector/charger when the HTC 8x from Verizon has wireless charging built into it? I bought the Nokia Qi charging pad and every night I simply put my phone on it and it charges wirelessly. I have a case on my 8x and it charges with the case on.

So what am I missing that you need to use the Qi charging films? Do they do something else?
You don't wire it through USB. You wire it internally to directly charge the battery.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That is the point, no bulky case or add on. Just the sticker wired into the phone.

But if the HTC 8x has built in wireless charging support, then why do you need to wire anything? Can't you simply place the phone on a Qi charging pad? No bulky case or add on needed. I place my 8x on the charging pad and it charges without having to use a film or charging case. See pic, light means phone is charging.

Or are you saying that the charging film wired to the battery allows some type of wireless charging without placing the phone on a Qi charging pad. Then I can see why this would be good to have. How does it work without a Qi charging pad?

WIN_20140612_010157.JPG

Edit: Here is a better pic showing HTC 8x charging on Nokia Qi charging pad. No bulky case. No Qi charging film wired to battery. Just plain old phone on charging pad.

WIN_20140612_012544.JPG

Last edited:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I thought that his phone had no built in qi. My solution was for adding qi to a device that did not have the feature. If this is not the case please disregard.

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
If my understanding is correct, Verizon in the US have (or had) an exclusive on models with Qi charging built-in. But the generally available model (such as my one here in the UK) don't, so you need an external or similarly after-market solution to add it.

Editted to add - see this link from The Verge for example.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
DNHill is 100% correct. Qi comes exclusively with the Verizon variant. If it wasn't bought with Verizon branding on it, then it does not have wireless Qi charging.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If my understanding is correct, Verizon in the US have (or had) an exclusive on models with Qi charging built-in. But the generally available model (such as my one here in the UK) don't, so you need an external or similarly after-market solution to add it.

Editted to add - see this link from The Verge for example.

Ok, now this make sense. Whew and Rats! Whew because I know I wasn't dreaming when my phone charges wirelessly. Rats because I thought you all had figured out how to charge wirelessly without a charging pad. :)

Sorry to hear that non Verizon phones don't have it. Perhaps the new Win8 phones will have it for everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos