01-29-2016 08:43 PM
32 12
tools
    I know its early days, but does anyone out there know if it will be possible to disable the navigation bar entirely? When watching Netflix it would be great to hide the nav bar, rather than have three glowing buttons in the side of the screen. Since they are now just software icons I would have thought it ought to be possible.
    sofikul islam likes this.
    05-23-2014 06:33 PM
    There was an option in Windows Phone 8.1 emulator to auto hide navigation bar, but strangely 630 dont have this option :what:
    05-28-2014 08:03 AM
    Latest news! Using the new Microsoft files app to view a video file, the nav bar disappears automatically until you touch the screen, so it is possible!
    Last edited by NHUK; 06-02-2014 at 06:08 AM.
    aurelian177 likes this.
    05-30-2014 09:41 PM
    I created a feature suggestion at Windows Phone user voice to bring the auto hide navigation bar functionality when watching videos in 3rd party apps like myTube and Netflix. You can cast your vote for this feature suggestion at this link
    aurelian177 likes this.
    06-01-2014 12:42 AM
    Votes added 😋
    06-04-2014 03:32 AM
    Mooching around the site I found this older article from Feb, talking about the navigation bar SDK - New Windows Phone 8.1 gallery shows off navigation bar and more | Windows Phone Central - note in the picture there are a few options about the colour of the bar, a switch to allow apps to disable it, and also a switch to hide the bar with a swipe.

On the dual sim 630, only the colour option is present, where are the other options?
    06-04-2014 05:48 AM
    Hey guys! I think hiding navigation bar is only available on FHD Windows Phone devices like Winstron Tiger.
    06-04-2014 11:08 PM
    Fhd?
    06-05-2014 03:01 AM
    Fhd?
    From what I have read, yes this device is a full hd unit, although they say it is a prototype device. Interesting way to hide the navigation bar in this one though - you could hide it pretty much anywhere in the operating system from what I can understand.
    I_m_Snah likes this.
    06-05-2014 04:58 AM
    Hey guys! I think hiding navigation bar is only available on FHD Windows Phone devices like Winstron Tiger.
    Why would the resolution of the phone have a bearing on whether you can hide the navigation bar?
    06-06-2014 10:27 AM
    Why would the resolution of the phone have a bearing on whether you can hide the navigation bar?

I think because FWVGA (480 x 854) resolution doesn't support 16:9 apps or the extra 480 x 54 resolution is reserved for navi bar, whereas the FHD (1080p) supports both 15:9 (when the navi bar is active) and 16:9 apps. That's my theory. 😊
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-06-2014 10:35 AM
    I think because FWVGA (480 x 854) resolution doesn't support 16:9 apps or the extra 480 x 54 resolution is reserved for navi bar, whereas the FHD (1080p) supports both 15:9 (when the navi bar is active) and 16:9 apps. That's my theory. 😊
    I see, but the native video player on the 630 does hide the bar when you are watching something. The app doesn't expand to fill the space but that's fine for me,I just want the distraction of the icons to go away. So hiding of the bar on the 630 can be done in software, is just not an option on the settings yet.
    06-06-2014 11:09 AM
    I see, but the native video player on the 630 does hide the bar when you are watching something. The app doesn't expand to fill the space but that's fine for me,I just want the distraction of the icons to go away. So hiding of the bar on the 630 can be done in software, is just not an option on the settings yet.

I see. I think there's an API for that. 😉
    06-06-2014 11:11 AM
    I should clarify, the native video player does not hide the icons, but the video player in Microsoft's ' files' app does.
    06-06-2014 11:18 AM
    As some one who is thinking about buying their first Windows Phone and wanted a dual SIM option , I came to the conclusion that the Lumia 630 would be just right . Having found out that the 630 does not have dedicated physical capacitive (Back, Start, Search) buttons but on-screen soft keys that take up some screen area I am a little disappointed . I was hoping that there would be a way to hide the on-screen soft keys . Does any one think this may be a future option ? .
    06-08-2014 07:59 PM
    As some one who is thinking about buying their first Windows Phone and wanted a dual SIM option , I came to the conclusion that the Lumia 630 would be just right . Having found out that the 630 does not have dedicated physical capacitive (Back, Start, Search) buttons but on-screen soft keys that take up some screen area I am a little disappointed . I was hoping that there would be a way to hide the on-screen soft keys . Does any one think this may be a future option ? .
    Hi, I own a 630, so I can comment on a couple of points. The soft keys are now part of the display, but the resolution has been increased over the 620 etc so that apps still get just as much room. Second, the video player in the files app indeed makes then disappear (although the app resolution does not increase) so it is possible to hide them, just not implemented as a user option yet it seems. Lastly, a video of an early build of 8.1 (I refer to it earlier in this thread) showed a user shortcut/swipe action that hides the icons, so I can only assume it is coming in a future update to the OS.
    06-09-2014 04:05 AM
    Hi, I own a 630, so I can comment on a couple of points. The soft keys are now part of the display, but the resolution has been increased over the 620 etc so that apps still get just as much room. Second, the video player in the files app indeed makes then disappear (although the app resolution does not increase) so it is possible to hide them, just not implemented as a user option yet it seems. Lastly, a video of an early build of 8.1 (I refer to it earlier in this thread) showed a user shortcut/swipe action that hides the icons, so I can only assume it is coming in a future update to the OS.
    Hi and thanks for your comments

Fingers crossed that the option to auto hide / auto show the navigation bar will be available at a future date

nav2.jpg

Videos

nav1.jpg
    06-09-2014 04:42 AM
    Ive just come across this youtube video posted June 5th 2014

Now I'm no Windows Phone expert and looking to buy my first Windows Phone ( 630 ) , so can some one please comment on this video

down-arrow-.jpg

bar-hidden-.jpg
    06-09-2014 06:26 AM
    Hi and thanks for your comments

Fingers crossed that the option to auto hide / auto show the navigation bar will be available at a future date

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nav2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	68757

Videos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nav1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	68758
    The 630 display is slightly taller to accommodate the virtual buttons without interfering with the native resolution of the apps, certainly when I watch a video there is nothing 'hidden' behind the icons.
    aurelian177, Sonu K and xandros9 like this.
    06-13-2014 04:13 AM
    Interesting topic. I have L635 and eagerly waiting the denim update.... Maybe an auto-hide opt. Until now, I didn't found on google search anyone that managed to install denim (not rolling out yet) or latest p4d on Lumia 630/635.
    Me AV
    01-02-2015 02:58 AM
    M.S should provide option too hide navbar in 630,too its too irritating nav bar always on screen during playing games r watching videos
    01-02-2015 08:05 AM
    The extra 54 pixel are reserved for navigation bar.

You can read the documentation from Microsoft here
    01-30-2015 08:24 AM
    The extra 54 pixel are reserved for navigation bar.

You can read the documentation from Microsoft here
    Reserved doesn't mean that it cant be used for anything else

see this and thats my 630 in the video

aurelian177 likes this.
    01-30-2015 05:19 PM
    Reserved doesn't mean that it cant be used for anything else

see this and thats my 630 in the video

Direct3D content such as video will not be resize by the navigation bar because it is rendered by the hardware itself, not the software. But as you can see, the layout of the control of the video app is affected by the navigation bar (it is positioned as if the space taken by the navigation bar doesn't exist, proof that the space of the navigation bar is reserved).

See the documentation from Microsoft here :Layout and the Windows Phone navigation bar (XAML)

As to why the navigation bar is able to hide when playing from the Files app and not in the Video app, that's because the Files app is not using the Video app to play the video, it's using a unknown app called "Music Backstop" (you can see it yourself by going to the app switcher when playing video) which probably based on the old Xbox Music+Video app that was replaced (but not removed from the OS) by two apps, Xbox Music and Xbox Video.

The old app probably couldn't handle the navigation bar as the way it should be as it was discontinued even before navigation bar came with Windows Phone 8.1.
    01-31-2015 03:10 AM
    L630 was 8.1 out of the box.

and also the files app seems to utilize the full screen so im good with it

only if other apps had also worked out some way to hide the navi bar as at times it gets frustrating ... i mean accidentally hitting the touch controls while playing games.
    01-31-2015 03:43 AM
32 12