Questions for 925 Owners Who Installed 8.1

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, Wi-Fi calling does indeed work - yay! :grin: Everything's looking good so far on my newly updated 925. LOVE the wallpapers from Zedge on that screen!

Even after a hard reset and even as far as using NSU to roll back to 8.0 and then reinstall 8.1, the Wifi calling always worked, on either. However, I cannot receive or send TXT messages. Not MMS (that never worked, and probably never will), but TXT won't work on 8.1. I figure it's a problem with not having the proper firmware (currently Black).

shinkamui

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had the phone for several weeks now on 8.1. I've done the hard reset, with no restore, and find battery life to be abysmal. Wifi calling will connect immediately after a reboot, but i find that it will stop functioning and leave the phone app in a strange state if there is no signal. Setting it to cellular preferred helps, but wifi calling wont seemingly reconnect after it disconnects once. I don't know if its related to the APs iim attached to (cisco 1242s, new cisco 3ks, Cisco E2000 at home, at&t router/dsl modem combo at home), but this was not a problem prior to the 8.1 upgrade. Wifi calling is probably going to be broken until tmobile releases cyan. SMS messaging on wifi calling is impossible on 8.1 right now due to the carrier # information being cleared when its active. This value cannot be edited by any tools that i can find, so you're probably going to be waiting for tmobile to hopefully not EOL the phone prior to cyan. Luckily(?) being a lumia, you can roll back to wp8 if you need those features at the loss of a lot of excellent functionality.

Of course, if anyone has a working solution to any of this, please post it. Weeks of research have resulted in nothing but complaints and concerns, so a positive outcome here seems doubtful. :(

accursedvenom

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
For whatever reason, using wifi calling prevents any of my messages SMS or mms from going through. Annoyed me enough that I disabled it and thought about uninstalling it.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what's so great about wifi calling anyways? I have a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile that doesn't support it, and I've never been sure what I'm missing...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what's so great about wifi calling anyways? I have a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile that doesn't support it, and I've never been sure what I'm missing...

If you have no service in any area but get Wi-Fi, you can use it to make/receive calls and texts. It's excellent for emergencies. Back in early March, my grandmother was in the hospital. I got no service in there, but there was free Wi-Fi. I managed to connect my phone and used Wi-Fi calling to contact people. You never know when an emergency might come up and others need to contact you, too when you're in places without cell service.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've gone back to 8.0. After the last update for 8.1 my 925 went wonky :-o Hard reset didn't work. Phone would just ------- stop dead in it's track occasionally. Nothing. Like the battery wasn't even installed lol. At first I thought my phone was bricked. Last time it happened, my phone was absolutely useless for a good 10 mins. Out of the blue it would just come back on .... strange. No problems being back on 8.0 so far (4 days). I miss 8.1 though :-( I'm more anxious for the Cyan + 8.1 release now.
I think I'll purchase the 635 to replace my 521 when it becomes available haha. I'll keep the 925. Use the 635 as a work phone (I work in a machine shop)

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back to 8.0. After the last update for 8.1 my 925 went wonky :-o Hard reset didn't work. Phone would just ------- stop dead in it's track occasionally. Nothing. Like the battery wasn't even installed lol. At first I thought my phone was bricked. Last time it happened, my phone was absolutely useless for a good 10 mins. Out of the blue it would just come back on .... strange. No problems being back on 8.0 so far (4 days). I miss 8.1 though :-( I'm more anxious for the Cyan + 8.1 release now.
I think I'll purchase the 635 to replace my 521 when it becomes available haha. I'll keep the 925. Use the 625 as a work phone (I work in a machine shop)

Does Wi-Fi calling work on your phone for texting since you've reverted back to 8?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes metalchick. It works. Wi-Fi Calling - On. Wi-Fi Preferred setting - On. Successfully sent text and also sent a picture successfully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss