07-12-2015 01:04 PM
70 123
tools
    After spending about a month with using my 635 as a daily I will say this phone has surpassed my expectations. I bought it as an upgrade to my 521. The 635 is definitely snappier in performance over the 521. Windows 8.1 with Cyan glides along very nicely. The screen is way better than the 521. I keep my screens brightness on high. Much easier to see outside compared to 521. Apps open smoothly. Having LTE is a big plus. Call quality is very good and clear. I use this phone mainly for text, phone calls, browsing local news, WP Central, and use HERE Drive+ along with HERE Maps. I don't play any games so none installed. The camera is sufficient and quite good. I have disabled background tasks that I feel are not that necessary for my personal use. The only apps that I have active all the time are: HERE Drive+, Cortana, 4caster weather app, Battery Saver, Chronos Calendar and the calendar that comes with the phone, and OneDrive. Starting the day with a 100% battery and light/moderate use this phone will have a little over 50% battery after 11 hours. With moderate/heavy use the battery will have around 35% left after 11 hours. I'm very happy with the battery.
    In my observation, the 635 runs Windows 8.1 with Cyan just as smooth as my 925 did with PD 8.1 (non Cyan). This is an outstanding replacement for my 521. I'm very happy with this phone.
    Last edited by mark233; 08-09-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Guytronic, Dave47 and DontHate707 like this.
    08-08-2014 07:31 PM
    This phone has been horrible. I would not be as upset if certain things worked.

1. Glam Me crashes. I need selfies. With no front-facing camera I would expect this app to work 100% of the time.

2. Some kind of resume bug. After twice pressing the home button I would expect it to go to the start screen not resume until I restart the phone

3. Word Flow can be turn off by developers. This is startling. How? Why?

4. Plastic casing. I have dropped my phone with a case on and the back falls right off leaving the screen and battery exposed. There should be a locking of some sort to hold it together.

/rant

Other than these issues, this is a really good phone. I would just want a version with flash and a front facing camera.
    08-19-2014 03:55 AM
    Lost you there @ "i need selfies"
    Philip Hamm, k72, sMt73 and 9 others like this.
    08-19-2014 04:03 AM
    This phone has been horrible. I would not be as upset if certain things worked.

1. Glam Me crashes. I need selfies. With no front-facing camera I would expect this app to work 100% of the time.

2. Some kind of resume bug. After twice pressing the home button I would expect it to go to the start screen not resume until I restart the phone

3. Word Flow can be turn off by developers. This is startling. How? Why?

4. Plastic casing. I have dropped my phone with a case on and the back falls right off leaving the screen and battery exposed. There should be a locking of some sort to hold it together.

/rant

Other than these issues, this is a really good phone. I would just want a version with flash and a front facing camera.
    1. If you needed 'selfies' you shouldn't have bought a phone without front cam.
    4. That's the whole point my friend..Have you ever heard of 'distribution of energy'?... Is this your first Nokia phone??!!
    I'm glad they have kept it like that way. If there was a locking system, your screen would've cracked into pieces.
    Ever heard of an iPhone opening up and dissembling itself while hitting the ground?
    No, right?
    But ever heard an iPhone screen got cracked after falling to the floor? Well, plenty of times.
    I hope you understand my friend. I don't know if the designers and engineers kept it intentionally that way. But i believe that is one reason Nokia phones have always been indestructible.
    bijak_riyandi, nysink, k72 and 3 others like this.
    08-19-2014 04:27 AM
    1. If you needed 'selfies' you shouldn't have bought a phone without front cam.
    4. That's the whole point my friend..Have you ever heard of 'distribution of energy'?... Is this your first Nokia phone??!!
    I'm glad they have kept it like that way. If there was a locking system, your screen would've cracked into pieces.
    Ever heard of an iPhone opening up and dissembling itself while hitting the ground?
    No, right?
    But ever heard an iPhone screen got cracked after falling to the floor? Well, plenty of times.
    I hope you understand my friend. I don't know if the designers and engineers kept it intentionally that way. But i believe that is one reason Nokia phones have always been indestructible.
    With regard to #4, yep! I believe both Nokia and BlackBerry in their prime designed phones to come apart on impct such that the force of impact isn't transferred to the screen. A minor inconvenience compared to a shattered screen I think
    nysink, xandros9, k72 and 2 others like this.
    08-19-2014 11:09 AM
    I saw a deal today, a 635 at some discounted price with a free year of skype.

This highlights what is wrong with this phone. It has the looks some of the right specs, great build quality and the performance is more than adequate.

It just needs a front facing camera. I don't think a flash is a necessity, but that's debatable.

People now and in the future will want to video chat. To put out a 2014 phone, even for the mass market that doesn't realize, not even anticipate this. Why should anyone buy it.

I bought it, and it's fine for me. I hope that MSFT got the market research right based on the success of the 521 and market out there. From my perspective it seems they got it wrong.
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-21-2014 01:55 PM
    Well it sure seems to be pretty popular, so there must be something drawing people to it.
    I've used Skype 3 times, each time as a just-for-fun chat. I've never needed to make a video call, and don't anticipate needing to, and I would likely use my computer anyway. I think the front facing camera isn't actually as imperative as some of the reviews seem to make out. But I also think that the target crowd for this phone is more likely concerned with budgeting than video calls (I certainly am).
    Guytronic, Dave47 and rhapdog like this.
    08-21-2014 02:04 PM
    It just needs a front facing camera.
    I could see and agree with this...

I'm in the older age range myself so I prefer low price with a good/great camera for quick or artistic photos.
    My 925's front camera has been used 10-12 times in 6 months (a few times by accident)

Realizing the FFC will be vital for many I've just seldom found a need.
    Perhaps phone makers may be trying move away from front cameras or offering dual cameras aimed at certain age markets.

Back to the topic!
    I'm still standing behind my 635.
    In my situation I see no downsides to the device.
    Then again an upscale second phone can be a compliment if one can afford it.

A perfect fit for me!
    k72, Dave47, mark233 and 2 others like this.
    08-21-2014 03:58 PM
    I agree with Guytronic. 2 thumbs up for the 635 from this satisfied customer.
    Guytronic and mark233 like this.
    08-21-2014 07:03 PM
    I picked up a the ATT GoPhone Version of the Lumia 635 last Friday and I've been very impressed. My daily driver is an HTC One (M7) and this is my first Windows phone. The relatively low rez screen doesn't bother me at all--I find it very readable. Battery life is adequate-I can get a full day 16 hours. The phone seems quite snappy and i don't notice any lag. The headphone jack was really stiff but after using it a few times, it is working OK.

This phone is also my first Windows phone. I bought the phone mainly because I wanted to try out WP 8.1. I really like windows phone. It looks beautiful and I like the tiles home screen. In addition, the onscreen keyboard seems better than any of the android keyboards that I have used. I can find most of the apps that I like to use or an acceptable substitute. I wish Google would create a hangouts app as I use Hangouts a lot to message with my brother and a couple of friends. Looking forward to update 1 and following windows phone as the app ecosystem gets built out.
    Guytronic and Dave47 like this.
    08-24-2014 10:39 PM
    The 635 was my first step into the WP OS and I must say, I was beyond impressed! Impressed so much it made me run out and buy a used 1520 to experience a higher flagship like device on WP.

The 635 is very snappy, great screen for the price point, and the swipe typing on the keyboard for this type device is very accurate. I do miss a front facing camera but for $99 I cant complain much. I actually think I prefer it over the 1520 just due to the convenience of size in everyday use. The 1520 is far superior in most regards including screen clarity and such but practical use the 635 wins for me.

Easily the best off contract deal on a phone out there IMO right now as I researched the Moto G and others and this device won out for me.
    Dave47, Guytronic and mark233 like this.
    09-02-2014 01:11 PM
    "if your a heavy video watcher or photographer then you will need to spend a lot more cash."
    I've seen a few of these sorts of comments about. I don't get it.
    If you care about your photography to that extent you buy a *camera*.
    Otherwise it's like saying that your car doesn't hold as much as a truck.
    It's a phone. A smartphone, yes, and as a smartphone can do a whe lot more than a basic phone. But that still doesn't make it a replacement for a proper camera. Why would you want it to be. If you are serious about your pictures you want the stuff that no usable phone will have; interchangeable lenses, large CCD ( more important than pixels), full illumination, battery pack and so on.
    It's an everyday phone that can take pretty good pictures for everyday use.
    mark233, Dave47 and k72 like this.
    09-02-2014 04:38 PM
    For me it made me realize that I am perfectly adequate with this type of "budget device" and have been paying way too much over the years in phone subsidies and contracts.

I have taken a new approach of only buying phones off contract and fighting new phone urges and buying older phones with no contract. The 635 opened my eyes to an operating system that isn't a battery hog and system sucker.

Will it stop my tech ADD? Probably not but I know it is always there when I need it for an amazing device that I got for $99 that has made me happier than my $600 Note 3.
    09-02-2014 06:18 PM
    So I just recieved my 635 At&t go phone from Amazon for $92 to replace my 1020. The reason I am replacing it is because the headphone jack has broke, the mic broke, and the camera stopped focusing. To be fair I was sent the 1020 was a refurb that was sent as a insurance replacement for my 920 that got smashed.

This is a great phone for $92. Side by side, i don't see much of a difference between the two screens. I really need to look closely to see the differences. Certain aspects are obviously less quality then the 1020 but all in all, as a daily driver, this phone is great. No front facing camera but then again, I don't take selfies. The ONLY thing i would add to this hone is a flash. I will miss that when I need a quick flashlight.

I really thought i was going to be dissapointed with this phone but i am pleasently surprised. Especially being 1/4-1/6 the price of higher end phones. I am even might prefer this to the 1020 because its but easier to hold.
    09-03-2014 06:46 AM
    As someone who had originally bought the Nokia 920 in the UK with EE when it first appeared nearly two years ago and had huge problems with 4G, I ended up on Android devices and have been there for the last 18 months, with an HTC One (M7), an HTC One Mini, and then an LG G2. Both the HTC Ones and the LG G2 all suffered the same fate. Accidental drops causing damage that resulted in the phone being unusable for one reason or another.

As a result, I needed a cheap phone that would still give me the service I wanted. I had a choice between the Motorola G 4G and this, with the 635 coming in some £30 cheaper. The question was whether I wanted to give WP another go and if it would stand up to Kit Kat.

At the price, I decided it was worth taking the plunge and I've been pleasantly surprised. Whilst the screen is not as high def as the previous phones and there is no front facing camera (not that I take selfies or use video chat), I was concerned about a lack of apps and missing flash.

So far, I've been able to get enough apps to cover what I had on the Android devices, so this is a no issue item and I've not yet missed the flash.

As a device, as with all Nokias, this is well engineered and feels sturdy in my hands. I rather like the idea that it falls apart on impact, saving the screen. The battery life has, thus far, been at least as good as my previous two flagship phones.

I think the biggest thing in this is that I haven't noticably missed anything when moving from Android. I have all the productivity apps that I need, access to the services that I am subscribed to and the hardware is not making me feel like I am missing anything.

I still find it astounding that a budget handset can provide so much. Very impressed with this one after two weeks of use. Let's see if over the longer term I remain a budget user or if I decide I need something a bit more bling...
    09-09-2014 05:42 AM
    So I just recieved my 635 At&t go phone from Amazon for $92 to replace my 1020. The reason I am replacing it is because the headphone jack has broke, the mic broke, and the camera stopped focusing. To be fair I was sent the 1020 was a refurb that was sent as a insurance replacement for my 920 that got smashed.

This is a great phone for $92. Side by side, i don't see much of a difference between the two screens. I really need to look closely to see the differences. Certain aspects are obviously less quality then the 1020 but all in all, as a daily driver, this phone is great. No front facing camera but then again, I don't take selfies. The ONLY thing i would add to this hone is a flash. I will miss that when I need a quick flashlight.

I really thought i was going to be dissapointed with this phone but i am pleasently surprised. Especially being 1/4-1/6 the price of higher end phones. I am even might prefer this to the 1020 because its but easier to hold.

So I kind of wanted to post a follow up after 10 days of owning the phone. The honeymoon period wears off and I can tell you about some of the things with a little more experience. This thing is great. I still can't believe a $92 At&t go phone is this good. This does what you need a phone to do. I can talk, text, e-mail, web browse, facebook, etc and have no issues. I initially thought that the 512mb of ram would be a issue but it isn't. It's just as fluid as the 1020 when switching apps. The ONLY thing I would add to this phone is a flash because I sometimes need a flashlight quick. So if you're like me and just need a phone that gets the job done and you can forget about it, this is a great choice. I manage a sawmill and so my phones take a lot abuse. A screen protector and a cheap case, it's good to go. If I ever destroy this thing, I can go get another and pop in my sim and SD card in. Even if you need a back-up for your higher end phone, this is it. I haven't been let down. This is probably the best bang-for-the-buck phone I've purchased and I've been using windows phone since the Samsung focus.

Edit: I would also like to address what everyone says are a lack of apps on the widows phone... What the heck are you missing? It has all of the social media apps, Pandora, texting, video, onedrive, and office! Everything I need to do to make it through my day can easily be done with this phone and using these apps. Between this phone and my kindle HDX I haven't had to sit down at a PC other than to use Excel at work. Anyone who uses excel enough knows it's a pain if you're not on a PC. What are you people doing that you need more apps!? Stop taking pictures of yourself and keep your eye's on the road for Gods Sake!
    Last edited by mjrshred; 09-13-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    Dave47, mark233, Guytronic and 4 others like this.
    09-13-2014 09:21 AM
    I hadn'r missed, or even seen any use for, the front facing camera; but now with a child away at uni I realise that Skype does rather need it. And the lack of a light/flash for the actual camera could be a bit of a general drawback.
    Sonu K likes this.
    09-27-2014 04:55 PM
    I'd agree about the unimportance of limited range of apps, except for browsers. No Firefox. And Opera, so far, doesn't seem to be emerging from Beta with a stable product.
    09-27-2014 04:57 PM
    I'd agree about the unimportance of limited range of apps, except for browsers. No Firefox. And Opera, so far, doesn't seem to be emerging from Beta with a stable product.
    You must try UC Browser. Its really good.
    09-28-2014 03:47 AM
    After about a month in a half I'm pleased but as a phone nerd I'm not fully satisfied.

PROS
    - Battery life is great
    - Smooth performance overall
    - Great price
    - 8.1 installed
    - Expandable memory
    - Easy to hold
    - Step counter for running and walking

CONS
    - No front camera
    - Back cameras okay
    - Back cover can be shakey had to return one because the power button broke
    - Headphone jack sometimes needs to be inserted twice to work
    - Screen doesn't have auto brightness
    - Can get laggy when streaming or downloading my guess do to low ram
    10-10-2014 05:12 PM
    I'm on the T Mobile and had a Lumia 925.
    Unfortunately, after only a few months the second microphone and the GPS stopped working, so I opted for a new phone. The Lumia 635 was for sale on the T Mobile website for a total price of$140 plus a thirty dollar gift certificate that goes towards your bill. So I ordered the black version from t mobile and a few days later it arrived. They sent me the white one.

Then they tell me that t mobile only carries the white one. Okay good to know, especially after I told the representative I wanted the black one twice, once before and then I confirmed it with her before I agreed to the price. I can buy the black sheep in Amazon though for a small price, no big deal. This is not a problem I have with the phone but T Mobile. So I opened the package, put the phone's battery,SD card and SIM card in and booted it up.
    Note I had a Lumia 521 before I had a Lumia 925.

This was a pleasant upgrade from that phone.
    The screen is much bigger.
    The screen is much better in quality too.
    However, compared to the Lumia 925, the backs aren't pitch black like on the amoled 925 display. Also, I liked how the 925's screen peptides a bit.
    The Lumia 635 is flat like the Lumia 521.

Hardware wise that's the only thing I truly miss about the 925 is the display.
    One I started the phone up I noticed that the start buttons were software buttons.
    Nonetheless they vibrated when touching them, so this didn't change my experience with them at all. Also, they're is no hardware camera button, but neither did this bother me, for the software button is on screen just an inch away from where the hardware one would be.

The operating system is fluid and fast. I'm not noticing any lag. And the screen has a high enough resolution as to not make a noticeable difference compared to the 925.
    The memory is being used and I'm not having problems with that, at least yet. I had doubled tracks when using an SD card on my 521 though, so I am a bit weary about using it again.
    Hopefully this issue has been resolved.

I'll respond to this thread if I continue to have this problem.

Over all the phone looks and feels like it was built smartly, it has a good quality Greek to it, not an expensive gel to it however, it was only $110 after the gift certificate after all.

I recommend this phone, but still hope T Mobile get a flagship phone soon. I miss the 925's display so much. And the 16 gigs was nice to have.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 10-25-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    mark233, Guytronic and tpbklake like this.
    10-25-2014 11:05 AM
    its pretty much like a 920 in terms of size. this is a decent phone for tmo. im sure flagship will arrive in spring.
    10-25-2014 04:53 PM
    Here is my story: Im from Colombia, and normally got 2nd hand iphones (not doing well with getting lots of money), for some time i had some android devices but never get to like that mobile OS, so like 2 weeks ago I give to wife my iphone 4S and went to movistar to buy something for me, at 1st they told me I could get an iPhone 5S and pay it in 12 payments without additional charges if I wanted, but was kind of worried of paying all that money for a phone with my current economic position.

So my options were reduced to a motorola g and this lumia jewell, as stated before i never liked android so much and this beauty was even cheaper decided to give it a try.

I have to say guys im really impressed by the feeling of quality of this phone, im so much happy of giving wp and this device a try, i found all the apps im used to install on ios and i can use it without the fear of going out of battery fast. Also one of the things i love of ios is the music sync, and i have this with the windows phone app for windows 7.

One of the strong points is battery life, with my iPhone 4s i had to charge the phone like 2 times on a day, now i can use my lumia 635 for like 2 working days without worrying of going out of battery in a normal usage. Im not in gaming just some web browsing, social networking and 3 mail accounts that are really important for me.

Some screenshots of battery life, is in spanish but is not hard to guess there says 1 day and 4 hours of usage and you can see i only have restricted IE of bugging in background.

wp_ss_20141026_0003.png wp_ss_20141026_0001.png

Nothing much else to say, i feel this phone was a really good deal, only thing i really miss is flash light, but appart from that i love this phone in every aspect.
    Guytronic, tpbklake and alexuio like this.
    10-26-2014 11:28 PM
    Im considering getting a 635 from tmobile while I wait hopefully for a new flagship.
    10-30-2014 11:43 PM
    A little late to the party, but with 635's being offered at killer prices for black Friday I figure others may still be interested in getting this phone. My first WP experience was the Icon, and I thought that was the best thing since sliced bread. Tired of VZW after 13 years I switched to T-Mobile and did the Android thing again but hated it. I was a little hesitant about the 635 because of the feature/spec disparity between it and the Icon, but I was desperate to get away from the droid.

I have had mine for a week now and must say I am pleasantly surprised. Everything about the phone is much better than I was expecting. For a phone that costs 2-3 times less than the high end models, you would be amazed at what you get. The display is nice and clear, the phone has no noticable lag, build quality is good, and apps run smooth. The camera is fine for every day photos. It's not going to give you the same quality as the higher end phones, but the images are fine for most casual shots. With the SD slot storage isn't an issue, and saving apps to the card is a big plus.

I am a basic phone user, primarily corporate email and a few social media apps, not much else. All things considered, I am very happy with it overall.
    Guytronic, mark233 and rhapdog like this.
    11-23-2014 11:01 PM
70 123