07-12-2015 01:04 PM
70 123
tools
    I have owned this phone for two days and am ready to write a mini review.

I have been a heavy android user for the past two years. I have always wanted to try the new windows phone OS with the tiles and cool Nokia Lumias.

I was never convinced about changing over because of the windows store app selection and because I was so conformed to the Android system.

I decided to give the OS a try with 8.1 on aN AT&T 635 Go Phone for $69.

I am so happy I did! This OS is amazing. It's so simple yet intuitive.

I love the start screen tile customization and the notification center is very simple.

I actually owned a windows phone in the Samsung Blackjack 2 and that was ages ago lol 😁

A few things I'd like to touch on

- the specs are low but great for the price. 1GB ram could be better. But wow 😲 snapdragon 400 flies!

- the size and form factor is so simple and nice to hold. This has a matte black finish and it is smooth to the touch

- I didn't realize how much I didn't mind not having a front camera! I hardly ever used them on my androids except for face timing with my wife.

- the camera takes very usable shots in good lighting . Definitely great for the price. However I do miss having a flash. Not for pictures but rather as a torch.

- the screen is fantastic. This little guy gets super bright and very dim when needed! Resolution is no problem. Response feels almost on par of HTC and Apple.

I was afraid of APP selection but that hasn't been a big problem. I have all my necessary apps for banking and communication so its actually not that bad.

I do have to find a way to get music again though. Glad I have access to a SD port!

The battery life is insane for 1850mah. I would be a wall hugger connected to a charger if this were an android device . I get off the charger at 4am and come home with %60. That's medium usage of music email surfing texting. On medium brightness.

Overall I am very happy with my cheap Lumia. I foresee a very nice 830 in my future. The last of the Nokia line. -

from a super android fanboy
    11-27-2014 12:49 AM
    Just got mine from the Microsoft Store $39.95 deal--super good price and arrived in less than three days with free shipping. AT&T Go Phone packaging is super annoying. Plugged it in, launched my Microsoft account, and almost everything synced properly and quickly. Had to manually install a few things, and manually tweak my home screen to get it back the way I had it, but overall very impressed with the automatic configuration. Seems much smoother and faster than my Lumia 520 with the same apps. Less lagging. I thought I would miss the auto-brightness adjust from the 520, but I really don't (yet). The bright setting seems easier to read in daylight settings. The dim is just about perfect when in bed at night with the lights off. Medium is good for normal use around my house. So far I don't miss the camera button, which was always very hard to press using my Fosmon case on the 520 so I used the on-screen button anyway. Using Fhotolens app right now (worth trying) and it is quick and easy to focus and take shots. Seems to have better low-light sensitivity than the 520, but I have not tested this carefully. So far seems to be a worthy upgrade to the 520, particularly since I paid about $60 less! My one quibble is that I have not yet been able to get mms working properly on H2O. I got the correct APN settings from H2O, and seem now to be able to receive images, but still can't send. Maybe it takes some time for my new phone's IP address to be accepted or something?
    Guytronic and ajb1965 like this.
    11-28-2014 05:13 PM
    Ten Four, mine showed up yesterday, have to agree with your packaging comment. What a battle trying to get it out of that plastic!! I was bleeding like a stuck pig by time i was done. Looked like the beginning of a slasher movie. My phone review? i like it.
    ajb1965 and Guytronic like this.
    11-29-2014 10:39 AM
    Anyone comment on the tethering speeds for tmobile?
    12-10-2014 11:18 AM
    I personally love the device as its fluid with an occasional "resuming" every now and then. It's a great device if you want a cheap and reliable smartphone as no other device can compete with it besides the Moto G but Android sucks compared to Windows Phone 8.1. If you buy a glass screen protector it makes the device much more enjoyable to use as the Nokia Lumia 635s screen gets smudges and fingerprints more than any phone that I ever owned.
    01-01-2015 01:15 AM
    I started with blackberry (had 4), had an iphone 3G (hated depending on iTunes) and then had several Android phones low, middle and high end devices and thought that is was the best OS even if I had to reset my device from time to time... Then I went a little curious abour Windows Phone and received an offer from my carrier to renew my contract for 2 years and get twice the voice plan and free Facebook and Whatsapp and as a "bonus" a freshly arrived in Ecuador Lumia 635 so I said it weather that or a Huawei Y530 so let's try it (if I didn't like it I go back to my Xperia Z1...) so here I am almost a month later with the best smartphone experience I had so far with a solid OS and not a single problem with both hardware or software.

The phone does lacks some censors, flash and front facing camera but according the real needs I have for a smartphone the 635 does the job very well and the phone looks and feels very good. The OS also lacks some apps but you will like using it anyhow. Looking forward for Windows 10.
    Dave47 likes this.
    01-06-2015 05:35 PM
    Week 3: Just lost a pixel. Should I ask for a new one? (will have to wait up to 4 days for replacement)
    01-08-2015 10:13 AM
    Week 3: Just lost a pixel. Should I ask for a new one? (will have to wait up to 4 days for replacement)
    Yes, by all means ask for a new pixel. Those buggers are tiny, though, and difficult to install. I'd probably just send the whole phone in. Yeah, I know, I'm in one of my "funny" moods today. Sorry.

If I had a bad pixel show up after 3 weeks, I'd get it replaced under warranty. However, if I had to wait 4 days to have a phone, I'd likely lose my mind. It would probably be worth it to me to purchase a new 635 as a replacement, backup the old, restore to the new, then turn in the old for replacement under warranty. Then when the replacement arrives, keep it around as a backup. That's just me, though.
    alexuio likes this.
    01-08-2015 10:49 AM
    I've spent the past 3 weeks with the 635 so I'll share a few of my impressions so far.

CONTEXT
    I'm coming from a 920. Last August it fell and half the screen was cracked, usable but annoying. I held out as long as I could, expecting some sort of new mid-high device by March. Once it became clear that wasn't going to happen until fall 2015, and once the Tmo version of the 635 went down to $68 on Amazon towards the end of December, I got one for cheap to hold me out until W10 phones.

SPEED
    This has been my most delightful surprise with the 635. The 920 was no slouch, but after the 8.1 upgrade it was never the same. In fact, the fuller my phone got, the slower it became. I'm using the Dev Preview so I'm updated at the latest build, yet even with 1GB RAM the 920 constantly showed me a "resuming" screen. In theory, that barely ever happens with 1GB devices, but that was not my case. Now, the 635 behaves practically equal to my 920, even snappier sometimes. I know this is not supposed to be the case, but that's been my experience (I even full resetted and re-flashed the 920 a couple times with Nokia software recovery tool, to no improvement at all). I was prepared to be using a slower phone for the next few months, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the 635. The "resuming" screens are there, but it feels just like my old 920, which is not a bad thing to say about the 635. Maybe the fact that I have a 32GB SD card in the 635 affects speed too, for good (my "main" internal memory is mostly free) and bad (most apps are in the SD card, thus I'd guess they load a tad slower from there). As for connectivity, LTE speeds are excellent and I see absolutely no difference from my 920's connection speed. If anything, having WIFI calling has improved my connection.

SCREEN
    Say what you will, but I don't notice the 480p screen resolution most of the time. Of course, I'm not blind - sometimes I do notice the pixel grid, mainly in the start screen, if I'm really looking for it. Otherwise, I think my brain blends the borders and I don't really see it. Does the 768p screen of the 920 look smoother? Well, duh, of course it does, but it's not such a huge difference. The 635 screen works fine, it's perfectly legible, even if not as accurate as an actual HD display. It's serviceable and not annoying, let's leave it at that. However, the color reproduction is outstanding. I expected a less vibrant display than my 920, yet comparing them side to side, many times I prefer the colors from the 635. They're, I don't know, deeper somehow, probably because while the screen is cheaper it's also 2 years newer than the 920's and IPS modules have gotten better. All in all, a less defined, less smooth (it's no 60fps anymore) screen than the 920, yet for the most part I'm happier with the 635's. Also, about the auto-brightness - yes, it's nice to have it, but I don't really change it much in the 635. I set it a medium and it's fine all day, if I'm out in the street, slide down that action center and tap it to High, boom. Which I do like once a day anyway. At night, reading in bed, I tap it to low, done. But honestly, you'll leave it a medium (you can actually customize what strength low/medium/high have) and forget about it most of the day. Considering my 920 sometimes went crazy with brightness changes that couldn't figure out what to settle on, I'm not really missing the auto brightness thing.

BUILD QUALITY
    It's a featherweight. Of course I'm coming from the brick that the 920 was, and I actually liked its weight, but the 635 is like pure air. It's comfy to hold, the matte white cover is grippy and even the speakers are well built. I had read that these speakers are bad, but you know what? I think it sounds just as fine as the 920. Then again, I don't ever listen to music from my phone - I consider that practice to be idiotic... just some good speakers for music, not a teeny tiny phone speaker if you want quality. When I listen to music, I pair a decent Bluetooth speaker and I get good quality. The only use I have for the speakers is a) phone conversations (which sound perfectly fine) and b) podcasts, which sound loud and clear. Of course, playing voice is much less demanding than music bass, but the 635 outputs sound louder yet similarly clear to what I got from my 920.

CAMERA
    Well this was obvious and I knew what I was getting into. I miss the 920's excellent camera, specially in low light. This is a sacrifice I was willing to make for a while, and even though the 920's camera is SO good, the 635's is serviceable if all you'll do is upload to FB and smear filters in Instagram. I usually process most pictures with Photoshp express on the phone anyway, which really hides many of the flaws of the 635 camera (except low light noise, there's nothing you can do to fix that mess), but obviously the 920 wins all the time. Here are 3 comparison shots, 920 is always first, 635 follows:

In good light:
    920-hl.jpg
    635-hl.jpg
    After photoshop express editing the 635's picture:
    adobephotoshopexpress_b84d33ba6ebf4d3da3d600fa08ac33fd.jpg
    In medium light:
    920-ml.jpg
    635-ml.jpg
    After photoshop express editing the 635's picture:
    adobephotoshopexpress_656999dcd179459cb34c943b80881216.jpg
    In low light:
    920-pl.jpg
    635-pl.jpg
    After photoshop express editing the 635's picture: (little to salvage due to noise)
    adobephotoshopexpress_83cc107470d24deeb72a8e5e0e7f0a53.jpg

So there you go, hopefully this is helpful for whoever is thinking about getting a 635. Honestly this phone would be perfect for, say, my mother - who will probably inherit this 635 by the end of 2015 when I get a new W10 device. If you're holding out for W10 devices the 635 is a cheap alternative that will get you going pretty much fine, just with a more humble camera. If you want this for your regular run-of-the-mill parent who doesn't do anything too special in their phones, the 635 is an excellent choice for them.
    Last edited by Xabier Granja; 01-09-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added photoshop express edits
    01-09-2015 11:42 AM
    I've had my 635 for a couple of weeks now, I suppose it's time to review it. I had a $250 budget for my mobile solution, but that doesn't mean I'm going to spend it all on a phone. I like accessories to make my work easier.

I absolutely love this phone. Especially at the price. I caught it on the $49.95 sale at Radio Shack, and used a $10 coupon to get it for $39.95. You can't beat that with a stick. Well, I suppose you could beat it with a selfie stick, but why would you?

Still, I can't claim the $39.95 was my only expense in ownership. First, there was sales tax. This brought the total to $42.75.

The slippery case combined with my wide hands with short fingers made it very difficult for me to hold onto. One-handed operation was impossible for me because as soon as I moved my thumb to touch the screen, the phone would slide out of my hand. Solution was a good case. Always the searcher for the best deals, I found the case I really liked for $19.95 online. Then I kept searching until I found a seller on Amazon that had it for $3.75, and I used a coupon code to get free shipping. The case has been awesome, and I can use it with one hand now. The holster with belt clip was a nice touch, as was the built-in kick stand for the case to allow it to stand up on my night stand while plugged in for the night, and running "Night Stand Clock". Running total now at $46.50.

The next expense came in because of another downfall of this phone, which, for such a budget phone I'm not going to complain about. The screen doesn't seem to have an oleophobic coating as most smartphones do, so fingerprint smudges are really bad on this. I purchased a good quality Tempered Glass Screen Protector, and now I not only have added protection to the Gorilla Glass 3, I also don't leave fingerprints as I work with it. It eventually gets a few smudges, but they wipe away easily with my lint-free cloth. $4.99 with free shipping for the Tempered Glass Screen Protector. Running total is now at $51.49.

Now, my budget is for an entire mobile solution... not just a phone. It's time to round things out with more stuff that I need.
    • Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth Headset: $99.95
    • Plantronics Voyager Legend Portable Charging Carry Case (Recharges headset battery when I don't have access to electricity): $29.95
    • 11,500mAh Battery Pack Smart Phone Charger: $5.99 on a clearance deal. Got to charge the phone while I'm away from Civilization. Several times.
    • 5 port, 10 amp USB Smart Charger, to charge all my devices on my charging stand at home, and also makes it easier to travel as I need to only find one free electrical outlet at the hotel. $18.99 on clearance. Charges my phone faster than the charger that the phone came with.
    • Tripod mount to hook my 635 up to my tripod for taking the family portraits using the phones timer, or a voice camera app. As long as I've got good lighting, the photos turn out quite nice for such a budget phone. $2.50 delivered to my door.

Final tally: $208.87. I've still got $41.13 left over that I can still spend. If I could find the 635 on sale again like that, I could get a 2nd one as a backup phone and still stay in budget just by using change found in the couch cushions to make up for the rest. :)

I've been extremely happy with this phone. Considering I picked up a "backup" 520 for Christmas, and sold that plus my old 520, I made enough to add to my budget for more toys. Well, actually, it has helped me pay for some apps that I was wanting to purchase. Got to show the developers some love, because I love this platform.

I think I'll just hold off for a while, and start saving up and building my budget until I can afford the 1070 when it comes out in 5 years. Maybe by then it will have the SnapDragon 1250 processor running 8 cores at 2.8GHz and a 120MP camera, 8GB RAM, and 512GB Storage with a microSD card slot that can take microSD cards up to 2TB. (Hey, in five years, maybe they can hold that much.) Also, it will need to have Bluetooth keyboard functionality and HDMI output to hook up to a large monitor and allow me to have a big monitor (touch screen, of course) plus a keyboard, to do MS Office properly without having to purchase a new laptop. Oh, yeah, and Windows 12 or above.

Yes, I think this phone can last me that long. In July/August, I upgraded to a 520 from my last phone, which I bought in March of 2006, and it ran Windows Mobile 5, had 8MB of RAM, 64MB of storage, much of which was the OS. Could take up to a 2GB miniSD. Camera was 640x480, and took 320x240 video, and it was grainy as all get out even in direct sunlight. Yeah, I had a dedicated digital camera, which died.

Yes, I posted this review to let people know... when you set a budget, make sure you include all the extra "stuff" you're going to want or need to keep you happy. Spend $500 on a phone and your budget was $500, then you're going to be whining for free apps.

I had a budget of $50 for a phone, so I waited until I could save up and grow the budget, because I knew I was going to want a high end Bluetooth and other stuff. It was sheer luck I got some of the stuff on clearance prices like I did, like the $80 battery charger for $5.99, etc. Gotta love a business that decides not to carry a product, and wants to clear it out fast. I bought a dozen car plug chargers at the same place on the same day for $0.25 each. They plug into the cigarette lighter and give you a USB plug with up to 2.1A power for your smartphone or tablet. They made great stocking stuffers this past Christmas.
    Guytronic, mj0, etad putta and 1 others like this.
    01-11-2015 10:14 AM
    This phone is better than comparable Android phones for the same price. I only paid $40, locked to GoPhone for 6 months.

You get 720p video capture, and a 5 mp camera. You also get 4 cores, and 512 MB of RAM. That alone justifies the price. The 4G helps too. The 8 GB ROM could be better; you definitely want to use an SD card with this phone.

Last I checked the phone was $69 at the Microsoft Store. Still a good price. Over at T-Mobile, where the phone is not subsidized, you'll pay twice as much.

It's a great piece of hardware. Yes, it does resume. Yes, if you get carried away with it the phone reboots. But it does the job for most people, and I don't need to remove the battery and it doesn't overheat.
    01-11-2015 11:03 AM
    It's a great piece of hardware. Yes, it does resume. Yes, if you get carried away with it the phone reboots. But it does the job for most people, and I don't need to remove the battery and it doesn't overheat.
    My 635 has never rebooted. In fact, I get warnings from My Tmobile that it's been too long and I need to restart my phone. Should I be worried? Am I not wild and crazy enough with my phone? What can I do to get reboots like everyone else?

Sent using Tapatalk HD
    alexuio likes this.
    01-11-2015 01:49 PM
    My 635 has never rebooted. In fact, I get warnings from My Tmobile that it's been too long and I need to restart my phone. Should I be worried? Am I not wild and crazy enough with my phone? What can I do to get reboots like everyone else?

Sent using Tapatalk HD
    You don't have to reboot. If you get stuck and feel the need, hold the power and the volume down buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. The phone should shut off, which can take a minute.
    01-13-2015 01:13 PM
    Love this phone - traded in my iPhone 6 plus and went with this full time on T-Mobile. Size is perfect and the speed is more than adequate (Resumes every once in awhile, but not enough to be annoying)

The only negative is the screen is a total fingerprint magnet (I have sweaty hands, so it really starts looking cruddy fast). I hate putting screen protectors on phones, so I just use some LCD wipes we have for multimeter screens at work to clean it off every few days. Usually a quick wipe with the shirt is good enough
    01-30-2015 03:27 PM
    Thinking of getting the 635 on Sprint. I just hate to pay $179 when all the other carriers have it for less then $100. I could get it for free with a new contract, which is what I'll probably do. Anyone here have it on Sprint? If so, how is it? FYI: Still using the Arrive.
    01-30-2015 09:41 PM
    I've had my 635 a couple of months now, so feel qualified to give a proper review. I previously have used Android phones.

I paid £50 in the UK on the EE network. The 4G works great, and the service from the network is better than I've experienced from other UK networks.

On to the phone. I like it, a lot. I game, I use a lot of apps, I watch videos, listen to podcasts and music, text and call a lot... I guess I'm a 'power user'. Yes this phone has it's niggles ( I find hitting the lock / unlock button, solves most of the minor issues..

I've been enjoying the gaming experience a lot. It rarely quits while playing games and handles Minecraft and Dream League Soccer just fine (although it runs hot, but saying that most devices do when playing graphically intense games)

The call quality is excellent and it rarely drops a call.

I wish the application manager had an option to clear the cache of the downloaded apps. I had to uninstall and reinstall Facebook because it was talking up over 1gb of memory. This seems a huge oversight which I hope Windows 10 has.

Other than that I'm very impressed, and now I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Lumia 640 when it's released.
    etad putta and Dave47 like this.
    03-09-2015 08:06 PM
    So I picked up a Lumia 635 today for 50 bucks and I have some thoughts. First of all I should note I purchased this phone not to use as my main phone, but rather a media device I could bring while at the gym or walking. My iPhone 6 plus is too big to comfortably do that, so I wanted something cheap.

Now, I will say that um shocked at how good this is for a 50 dollar phone. While web browsing is on the sorta slow side, it's not unbearable and the home screen and syesten is rather snappy otherwise. There's some small complaints (I'm noticing on white backgrounds that on the top padt of the screen there's this weird light bleed thing going on) but for 50 bucks you can forgive alot of stuff. It honestly made me feel a tad dumb for spending so much on my iPhone, but the iPhone is a much better experience performance wise, which is expected due to specs.

Overal I love the windows phone OS, bit I can't make it mt daily driver. The app situation is a Achilles heel. I really want this OS to do well, but I fear that its a matter of time before its killed off.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-23-2015 06:07 PM
    Just like to add, my 635 suffered a major drop out of my jacket pocket, and on to tram lines (I was running to catch a tram and it fell out of my pocket) probably a 10ft drop onto concrete / metal. The back came off, but other than that there isn't a mark on it. So anyone concerned about build quality / durability can rest a little easier.

I also need to be a lot more careful!
    03-24-2015 12:16 PM
    You got a new Lumia 635 ? Share your experience in this thread.
    Have any doubts ? Post it here
    Like windows products. Have a Lumia 635. Not happy with text message features. All recievers of text mesh complain long mesg nit readable, broken up, ir spaced apart.

Going with another brand annoyance I cannot afford. Text allot need mesg to be clear, and precise. Disappointed, like when XP was let go...
    Last edited by Guytronic; 05-13-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    05-13-2015 04:00 PM
    It is a good phone I got it for boost mobile wonder what's there next windows phone
    07-12-2015 01:04 PM
70 123