Lumia 635 User Reviews

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I want this phone so bad!! I mainly use my iphone but I like being able to switch to my 620 when I get bored.i look forward to upgrading to the 635. I'm in the U.S. and there is no release date yet :(

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want this phone so bad!! I mainly use my iphone but I like being able to switch to my 620 when I get bored.i look forward to upgrading to the 635. I'm in the U.S. and there is no release date yet :(

erm, i fear the 635 is kind of a side grade to the 620 I believe

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting to note that folks want a full-featured gadget (lots of bells and whistles) for a low-end price. If the 635 doesn't have what you want then move on and look for something else.

Last edited:

jimjam1970

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had my phone for roughly 24 hours now after I broke my 620 the 635 is my third windows phone my first being an HTC radar then a 620 and now this 635 I wasn't totally convinced to stay with wp and I was seriously considering the moto g 4g phone.After having a go on the moto g I decided against it because the build quality seemed poor in comparison to the 635.

Starting with the negatives first the screen and the camera in my opinion if your a casual user then I think you will be fine both were of a higher quality than I expected for a budget handset metrotube was certainly watchable and a couple of pictures taken of my puppies taken in low light conditions were OK for casual snaps if your a heavy video watcher or photographer then you will need to spend a lot more cash.Battery life is impressive my phone was switched on at 6am and after fifteen and a half hours its now on 67% and I have downloaded quite a lot of apps including maps my kids have played a few games and watched some videos,size is an individual thing but it feels nice in the hand and the build quality is very good and the bright orange is absolutely amazing although the screen seems to attract more fingerprints than my 620.
So after 24 hours I believe I made the right choice in sticking with wp I can live without a flash and front camera although I do miss the dedicated camera button and the glance screen but overall if your thinking about getting one my advice would be to do it and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oatmeal Warrior

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
As my first WP device ,so far im loving it ! Had it now little over a day. Everything is so 'simple' don't mean that in bad way . I like how the platform is easy to navigate and I enjoy the live tiles alot and when they 'flip' .

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I had a 521 that I really liked but gave it to my brother so I got the 635 (bought online from the MS store - ordered yesterday AM and it arrived today PM! and free shipping). So the 635 is a little dumbed down (even from the 521 e.g.,
we no longer have tap to wake) but it's very smooth - no lag at all. And the onscreen soft keys (they light up which is a nice change from the 521) are very responsive.
Of course it wouldn't be Microsoft if they didn't screw something up. Just one example - in the setup it asks "do you want to store apps and data on the SD card" so I answer yes - then it goes right ahead and stores downloaded maps internally - makes me wonder about their developers - maybe they ought let them out into the real world occasionally. Anyway, if you get Lumia Storage Check Beta
you can download and use maps from the SD Card (it's in the store)

More in depth later

Three Dog

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine at my local Microsoft Store this Sunday. I needed a replacement for my once trusty Lumia 920 since it consistently began having battery drain issues and kept overheating for no particular reason. I thought the Lumia 635 would be a big downgrade but for the most part it's a great experience.

Yes there isn't a FFC, but I don't miss really except for occasional snapchatting. Lack of proximity and ambient light sensor hasn't bothered me or caused problems. Flash would have been nice, but isn't a huge deal. No physical camera button works out okay. The camera is passable, but I don't know how it compares with my dad's Lumia 521. Software buttons are responsive and kinda cool compared to the old capacitive ones. Battery life is good and the phone doesn't seem to have any battery drain or overheating that plague the higher-end Lumias (RIP 920), I get to about 40% with moderate use.

The phone itself has a good build quality and with the matte white cover looks really sleek. It feels good in the hand as well. Nothing too negative to say about the phone itself! Micro SD card slot is awesome too, I just bought a 32gb sandisk for it. Overall loving the phone!

UPDATE: So for those of you wanting to put in a micro SD card to expand the storage, BE WARNED. While there is nothing wrong with it working, the slot is not spring loaded so removing the card is not very easy. I learned this the hard way and bent a micro SD card in half trying to use my fingernail to pull it out. An easy fix is to use a small piece of tape on it like a tab and it will come out way easier. THIS IS THREE DOG SIGNING OFF!

Last edited:

BB10fanatic

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday. Did a bit of personalization, got my contacts, got a few apps, browsed a few websites. It's what I expected, will be adequate for my purposes. I have an android tablet, but came from blackberry phone, not bb10 despite my moniker. Timely information is presented well on this phone, though to be honest blackberry did a great job as well so it's not an improvement over that, but it is over my android experience, but that's a tablet. Personalization is great, more than enough without being overwhelming. I would like less bezel, in terms of the physical form factor, and it seems very large, perhaps because of the white colour, definitely due to me coming from a smaller phone.

Looking forward to having a moto G in the house to see if I feel limited by lack of flash, front facing camera and better integrated google services.

Last edited:

M Webb

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok, this is my first Windows Phone: I also own a Samsung Galaxy S4 and a Nexus 5, both of which are Android driven phones.

The 635 is a capable phone with a pleasant OS. It is somewhat speedy with a decent, though not impressive screen. I do see the "screen door" effect with some colors (reminds me of the old Bionic days) due to its lower resolution but it is bright and easily read in sunlight.

Speaker sound is passable and is rather shrill at high volume and becomes slightly distorted.

The microSD card slot and removable battery are welcome additions.

Now, where things can get a bit underwhelming is some software nuances and regrettably, lack of apps.

First the software and its functionality.

Tiles are fun and swiping is easy.Good predictive texting. However, I notice lags and slight hesitation. Mainly, an individual has to touch the mic button to activate Cortana and there is a slight delay like "waiting to set up." Why? Google Now is immediate and voice activated w/o touching a single icon. Cortana is not immediate and the wait is a few seconds.

Email does not load instantly and I have to wait a second or two for the full message to appear and download. Gmail, on the other hand, w/Android is instantaneous in its rendering and delivery.

The browser is god awful in this phone with few other choices to be found save for UC browser and Maxthon, which sometimes hang. Pages render terribly and some don't even load at all. However, I do know the Preview Release of 8.1 R 1 is due this week which may address that and I unlocked the phone to become a Dev phone.

And lastly, there are virtually no apps which can compete with Android and IOs. Most of my banking apps are missing and there are crippled versions of popular apps. Many popular apps such as Starbucks, McD's, Wendy's, BK, etc are not present. Flipboard is not present. Major newspapers, except for USA Today are not present.

The camera is mediocre since there is no flash. Selfies are almost impossible.

Now, with that being said, the $99 price tag makes this phone obtainable for many.

I do recommend this phone as a BASIC smartphone or as a secondary phone, although the likes of a more functional MOTO G make it a difficult competitor. Again, the OS is pleasant, but I feel I only get "halfa phone" with its limited functionality and lack of apps. But, if you are on a budget and just need the basics, this is fine!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs