Lumia 635 User Reviews

soulenigma

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So I just received my Lumia 635. I just have to say for my first windows phone, wow. The 635 is great phone for the price.

WP 8.1 is a great mobile os. Definitely love the live tiles and the ability to have a background show through. Haven't messed with Cortana too much but I have done so far is definitely meeting my needs. Also the ability to load apps on the ad card is a great feature considering the small storage on the phone. As for the os speed I haven't noticed any major lag, in fact the system seems speedy.

The camera is nothing ground breaking but does take decent pictures. I do however like the camera settings provided by Nokia.

As for the build it's a great build for the price. It doesn't feel like Nokia skimped just because the price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Received the 635 yesterday (2:19 p.m.) from HSN.
I like the looks and feel of the phone.
Reminds of a mini slate with the angled sides.

Used the included SIM to sign onto the T-Mobile $30.00 per month talk\text unlimited 5gb deal.
Found a 32gig Samsung SD card to slip into the phone for extra storage (wish more high end phones had this ability)
The battery for the 635 is pretty big in physical size.

While charging with the stock Nokia charger the 635 I have warmed quite a bit.
Scared me because I've never had a phone get as hot as this one did.
Also the phone charged very slowly until the level reached 39% then it reached 99% quickly and stayed there for 30 minutes.
Checking the device later it was showing 100% finally.
The battery barely depleted over night it was still showing 99% after laying idle for 11 hours.

WiFi calling is stable I sent a few texts to my 925 over wifi and they were received instantly.
Phone switches from WiFi to cellular quickly and seems to find LTE signals better than my 925.
The phone is snappy with a few stutters here and there.
Jumping back to the home screen from a game or when a notification pops causes a small delay in switching.

Typing on the 635 is much better than my 521.
The screen is sharp and bright with a good amount of usable real estate.
I'm really enjoying the illuminated on-screen buttons that flip when phone is rotated!

The 5MP camera is as expected good in full daylight otherwise moderately acceptable.
Colors are a bit washed under Nokia cam...shouldn't be a problem using Creative Studio or Fotor.
I'm not sure if no dedicated cam button is good or not.
Waking a phone with the cam button I thought was great yet thinking again I do seem to fumble with that feature at times.
So no camera button would be cause for missing out occasionally.

Downloaded "Hopping Penguins, Traffic Racer" and "Impossible" to try out game play.
Phone heats a little under play and these 3 games ran very well on the phone.
Traffic Racer glitches occasionally and may need a re-install.

The T-Mo Lumia 521 is a great phone and the 635 beats it at about the same initial price.
After getting to know the L635 I'm pretty happy with my purchase here.

Edit update:
After a full day with the 635 off the charger the phone battery has dropped 24% and this is after taking 25 pics, shooting a 1 minute video, 5 calls averaging 10 minutes each, surfing on LTE for 10 minutes and using Here+ for a 1 hour road trip.

Edit 2:
I hadn't realized till reading more that the 635 has "single key reset" I like this for convenience.
*This phone and OS version have been trouble free!
8/19/2014 12:59 p.m.

Edit 3:
Battery time with the 635 is quite good!

wp_ss_20140913_0001[1].pngwp_ss_20140913_0002[1].pngwp_ss_20140913_0003[1].png

Last edited:

BB10fanatic

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Overall I'm happy with the phone, but realize there really is a dearth of apps. I had always been a bit snide about the app gap, but I do have a lot more flexibility with my android tablet.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had a 635 for about a week now. While this is my first WP, I am very (totally) satisfied with the device considering the price and feature set. When my kids (all iPhone) played around with it, they were impressed and they would have told me otherwise.

Size and feel - better than good
Screen - very readable
Battery life - better than I thought.
Navigation, etc - excellent
Apps - don't need hundreds installed (who *really* does?). I do wish there was a Flickr app though. The Fitness Tracker is really nice. No need for a FitBit or Fuel Band with this feature on board the 635.
Price - Excellent value

Oh the phone works fine too! ;-)

Last edited:

zabihjan

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
You got a new Lumia 635 ? Share your experience in this thread.
Have any doubts ? Post it here :smile:

It is lovely phone for is price. The only downside I see is that I keep pressing the home 🏠 or Windows button by mistake.

2nd no front camera 📷 so no selfies

3rd ram is low but doesn't affect it's performance unlike other operating systems

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
After spending about a month with using my 635 as a daily I will say this phone has surpassed my expectations. I bought it as an upgrade to my 521. The 635 is definitely snappier in performance over the 521. Windows 8.1 with Cyan glides along very nicely. The screen is way better than the 521. I keep my screens brightness on high. Much easier to see outside compared to 521. Apps open smoothly. Having LTE is a big plus. Call quality is very good and clear. I use this phone mainly for text, phone calls, browsing local news, WP Central, and use HERE Drive+ along with HERE Maps. I don't play any games so none installed. The camera is sufficient and quite good. I have disabled background tasks that I feel are not that necessary for my personal use. The only apps that I have active all the time are: HERE Drive+, Cortana, 4caster weather app, Battery Saver, Chronos Calendar and the calendar that comes with the phone, and OneDrive. Starting the day with a 100% battery and light/moderate use this phone will have a little over 50% battery after 11 hours. With moderate/heavy use the battery will have around 35% left after 11 hours. I'm very happy with the battery.
In my observation, the 635 runs Windows 8.1 with Cyan just as smooth as my 925 did with PD 8.1 (non Cyan). This is an outstanding replacement for my 521. I'm very happy with this phone. :cool:

Last edited:

relentlesson3

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
So.. This phone....

This phone has been horrible. I would not be as upset if certain things worked.

1. Glam Me crashes. I need selfies. With no front-facing camera I would expect this app to work 100% of the time.

2. Some kind of resume bug. After twice pressing the home button I would expect it to go to the start screen not resume until I restart the phone

3. Word Flow can be turn off by developers. This is startling. How? Why?

4. Plastic casing. I have dropped my phone with a case on and the back falls right off leaving the screen and battery exposed. There should be a locking of some sort to hold it together.

/rant

Other than these issues, this is a really good phone. I would just want a version with flash and a front facing camera.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: So.. This phone....

This phone has been horrible. I would not be as upset if certain things worked.

1. Glam Me crashes. I need selfies. With no front-facing camera I would expect this app to work 100% of the time.

2. Some kind of resume bug. After twice pressing the home button I would expect it to go to the start screen not resume until I restart the phone

3. Word Flow can be turn off by developers. This is startling. How? Why?

4. Plastic casing. I have dropped my phone with a case on and the back falls right off leaving the screen and battery exposed. There should be a locking of some sort to hold it together.

/rant

Other than these issues, this is a really good phone. I would just want a version with flash and a front facing camera.

1. If you needed 'selfies' you shouldn't have bought a phone without front cam.
4. That's the whole point my friend..Have you ever heard of 'distribution of energy'?... Is this your first Nokia phone??!!
I'm glad they have kept it like that way. If there was a locking system, your screen would've cracked into pieces.
Ever heard of an iPhone opening up and dissembling itself while hitting the ground?
No, right?
But ever heard an iPhone screen got cracked after falling to the floor? Well, plenty of times.
I hope you understand my friend. I don't know if the designers and engineers kept it intentionally that way. But i believe that is one reason Nokia phones have always been indestructible.

travislicious

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: So.. This phone....

1. If you needed 'selfies' you shouldn't have bought a phone without front cam.
4. That's the whole point my friend..Have you ever heard of 'distribution of energy'?... Is this your first Nokia phone??!!
I'm glad they have kept it like that way. If there was a locking system, your screen would've cracked into pieces.
Ever heard of an iPhone opening up and dissembling itself while hitting the ground?
No, right?
But ever heard an iPhone screen got cracked after falling to the floor? Well, plenty of times.
I hope you understand my friend. I don't know if the designers and engineers kept it intentionally that way. But i believe that is one reason Nokia phones have always been indestructible.

With regard to #4, yep! I believe both Nokia and BlackBerry in their prime designed phones to come apart on impct such that the force of impact isn't transferred to the screen. A minor inconvenience compared to a shattered screen I think

BB10fanatic

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I saw a deal today, a 635 at some discounted price with a free year of skype.

This highlights what is wrong with this phone. It has the looks some of the right specs, great build quality and the performance is more than adequate.

It just needs a front facing camera. I don't think a flash is a necessity, but that's debatable.

People now and in the future will want to video chat. To put out a 2014 phone, even for the mass market that doesn't realize, not even anticipate this. Why should anyone buy it.

I bought it, and it's fine for me. I hope that MSFT got the market research right based on the success of the 521 and market out there. From my perspective it seems they got it wrong.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Well it sure seems to be pretty popular, so there must be something drawing people to it.
I've used Skype 3 times, each time as a just-for-fun chat. I've never needed to make a video call, and don't anticipate needing to, and I would likely use my computer anyway. I think the front facing camera isn't actually as imperative as some of the reviews seem to make out. But I also think that the target crowd for this phone is more likely concerned with budgeting than video calls (I certainly am).

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It just needs a front facing camera.
I could see and agree with this...

I'm in the older age range myself so I prefer low price with a good/great camera for quick or artistic photos.
My 925's front camera has been used 10-12 times in 6 months (a few times by accident)

Realizing the FFC will be vital for many I've just seldom found a need.
Perhaps phone makers may be trying move away from front cameras or offering dual cameras aimed at certain age markets.

Back to the topic!
I'm still standing behind my 635.
In my situation I see no downsides to the device.
Then again an upscale second phone can be a compliment if one can afford it.

A perfect fit for me!

taxmandan

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a the ATT GoPhone Version of the Lumia 635 last Friday and I've been very impressed. My daily driver is an HTC One (M7) and this is my first Windows phone. The relatively low rez screen doesn't bother me at all--I find it very readable. Battery life is adequate-I can get a full day 16 hours. The phone seems quite snappy and i don't notice any lag. The headphone jack was really stiff but after using it a few times, it is working OK.

This phone is also my first Windows phone. I bought the phone mainly because I wanted to try out WP 8.1. I really like windows phone. It looks beautiful and I like the tiles home screen. In addition, the onscreen keyboard seems better than any of the android keyboards that I have used. I can find most of the apps that I like to use or an acceptable substitute. I wish Google would create a hangouts app as I use Hangouts a lot to message with my brother and a couple of friends. Looking forward to update 1 and following windows phone as the app ecosystem gets built out.

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
The 635 was my first step into the WP OS and I must say, I was beyond impressed! Impressed so much it made me run out and buy a used 1520 to experience a higher flagship like device on WP.

The 635 is very snappy, great screen for the price point, and the swipe typing on the keyboard for this type device is very accurate. I do miss a front facing camera but for $99 I cant complain much. I actually think I prefer it over the 1520 just due to the convenience of size in everyday use. The 1520 is far superior in most regards including screen clarity and such but practical use the 635 wins for me.

Easily the best off contract deal on a phone out there IMO right now as I researched the Moto G and others and this device won out for me.

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
"if your a heavy video watcher or photographer then you will need to spend a lot more cash."
I've seen a few of these sorts of comments about. I don't get it.
If you care about your photography to that extent you buy a *camera*.
Otherwise it's like saying that your car doesn't hold as much as a truck.
It's a phone. A smartphone, yes, and as a smartphone can do a whe lot more than a basic phone. But that still doesn't make it a replacement for a proper camera. Why would you want it to be. If you are serious about your pictures you want the stuff that no usable phone will have; interchangeable lenses, large CCD ( more important than pixels), full illumination, battery pack and so on.
It's an everyday phone that can take pretty good pictures for everyday use.

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
For me it made me realize that I am perfectly adequate with this type of "budget device" and have been paying way too much over the years in phone subsidies and contracts.

I have taken a new approach of only buying phones off contract and fighting new phone urges and buying older phones with no contract. The 635 opened my eyes to an operating system that isn't a battery hog and system sucker.

Will it stop my tech ADD? Probably not but I know it is always there when I need it for an amazing device that I got for $99 that has made me happier than my $600 Note 3.

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
635 Review from a 1020 owner

So I just recieved my 635 At&t go phone from Amazon for $92 to replace my 1020. The reason I am replacing it is because the headphone jack has broke, the mic broke, and the camera stopped focusing. To be fair I was sent the 1020 was a refurb that was sent as a insurance replacement for my 920 that got smashed.

This is a great phone for $92. Side by side, i don't see much of a difference between the two screens. I really need to look closely to see the differences. Certain aspects are obviously less quality then the 1020 but all in all, as a daily driver, this phone is great. No front facing camera but then again, I don't take selfies. The ONLY thing i would add to this hone is a flash. I will miss that when I need a quick flashlight.

I really thought i was going to be dissapointed with this phone but i am pleasently surprised. Especially being 1/4-1/6 the price of higher end phones. I am even might prefer this to the 1020 because its but easier to hold.

tim2000s

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As someone who had originally bought the Nokia 920 in the UK with EE when it first appeared nearly two years ago and had huge problems with 4G, I ended up on Android devices and have been there for the last 18 months, with an HTC One (M7), an HTC One Mini, and then an LG G2. Both the HTC Ones and the LG G2 all suffered the same fate. Accidental drops causing damage that resulted in the phone being unusable for one reason or another.

As a result, I needed a cheap phone that would still give me the service I wanted. I had a choice between the Motorola G 4G and this, with the 635 coming in some ?30 cheaper. The question was whether I wanted to give WP another go and if it would stand up to Kit Kat.

At the price, I decided it was worth taking the plunge and I've been pleasantly surprised. Whilst the screen is not as high def as the previous phones and there is no front facing camera (not that I take selfies or use video chat), I was concerned about a lack of apps and missing flash.

So far, I've been able to get enough apps to cover what I had on the Android devices, so this is a no issue item and I've not yet missed the flash.

As a device, as with all Nokias, this is well engineered and feels sturdy in my hands. I rather like the idea that it falls apart on impact, saving the screen. The battery life has, thus far, been at least as good as my previous two flagship phones.

I think the biggest thing in this is that I haven't noticably missed anything when moving from Android. I have all the productivity apps that I need, access to the services that I am subscribed to and the hardware is not making me feel like I am missing anything.

I still find it astounding that a budget handset can provide so much. Very impressed with this one after two weeks of use. Let's see if over the longer term I remain a budget user or if I decide I need something a bit more bling...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs