Considering going from HTC 8X to Icon

anotherlab

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Does the Icon have the same text messaging problem that HTC 8X has on Verizon? When my 8X goes into an area with poor or little cell coverage, it loses the ability to send text messages until the phone is reset or airplane model is toggled. It can receive texts, but you get a "Can't send message. Try again" error message.

Everything that I have read on the Verizon forums indicates that this is isolated to the HTC on Verizon. Has anyone had this problem with the Icon?

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
My 8X still gets that message sometimes (on 8.1 right now). My gf's Icon has never done it. The Icon is an awesome phone, by the way. I'm going to end up getting it at some point.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
When my wife and I were on Sprint with the HTC Arrive. We had that issue all the time,, constantly,
"Can't send message. Try again"
A day or 2 later, the message would send.

I figured it was a Sprint thing, but after reading OP,
I have to wonder if it wasn't actually the HTC Arrive that was causing the issue.

We moved back to Verizon, (that exact error was one of the reasons, besides Sprint's lack of care for WP's in general)
We had the Lumia 928 and now Icon's, and never had that issue again.

Just something to think about.

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the 8X and would have liked to upgrade when the Icon came out, but the contract wasn't quite up yet. I know it seems like the Icon just came out, but at this point I would personally wait to see what Microsoft is going to offer this Fall.

The Surface Pro 3 design makes me really curious to see what they can do for a phone, and I doubt they go without releasing something this year to really push the platform.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
The only time when I have had that happen to me often was with the 928. Not nearly as often with the icon. In a poor signal area with the icon I do notice that when you are in a very poor signal area (metal building for me) that you may receive a duplicate message just because the phone wants to make sure you got it (in my opinion since it only happens in poor signal).

Kleeshay

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I moved from the 8X to an Icon three months ago and haven't had a single regret. The Icon does NOT have the text messaging issues the HTC had after poor coverage.

The biggest learning curve for me was dealing with the larger sized phone. My hands aren't small, but I sure did love how the 8X felt in them. The Icon took some getting used to, and I absolutely had to get a case to prevent slipage due to the texture of the back (didn't use one with the 8X). I'll also give it to the 8X for a superior headphone amp and slightly better speaker (on the back, not the earpiece).

I highly recommend the Icon. I know HTC reportedly is releasing a new WP soon, but the Icon's camera (exponentially better than that of the 8X), exclusive apps, and support are stellar. My personal recommendation would be to dive right in and fall in love with the Icon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire