From 928 to 929

WP8sNewest

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
So, soon I'm planning to switch from my 928 to the 929/Icon but I'm curious as to what changes to expect. Like I have the developers preview on my 928, will it look any different? I also heard that the Icon doesn't have glance, whats up with that? Plus whats the difference in performance such as camera, processing speed, etc. If someone would give me some info that be much appreciated.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The Icon/929 is much faster than the 928. Where the 928 may stutter or pause during a swipe or touch, the Icon never does. The screen resolution of the Icon is considerably higher and it's quite obvious. Neither is, to me, the most comfortable to hold but they both feel bullet proof. I love that about Nokia phones and I hope (but doubt) that Microsoft will continue that build quality. Although I may be overly pessimistic - Microsoft hardware is always excellent. In terms of sound, they both sound terrific. There are some reported problems with Wifi on the Icon, but I have never encountered that. Battery life is quite good, although KitKat has allowed Android sets to catch up and sometimes surpass it. I do like having a dedicated camera button. And speaking of the camera, the Icons camera is amazing. The 928 camera is excellent, but not as good as the Icon.

As for the 8.1 preview, I *THINK* but am not entirely sure that you get an additional column for tiles on the Icon, since the higher resolution screen effectively gives you additional real estate to play with.

Transferring to the Icon ought to be completely painless. My 928 was kept backed up, and as soon as I logged in to Microsoft, it just loaded up all my apps and recovered all my contacts and texts. It was like I never left home, with the exception of having to re-layout my home screen and the faster execution speed of, well, everything. WP8 is, imho, the best OS out there at the moment and it's even better on the Icon. I just wish they'd hammer out some of the 8.1 bugs - which may require a firmware update as well as debugging the OS. The only thing I wish they would do is allow some tasteful alternative to the constant flipping over of live tiles. The thing looks like a Christmas tree sometimes with all the bright blinky lights. Sometimes tacky.

The Icon is evolutionary - there are no operational changes with exception of the loss of Glance, and I don't think anyone here knows exactly why. The screen tech is the same I think, so as far as I can tell it doesn't have Glance just because it doesn't have Glance. One does not question the mighty Nokia, I guess.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
They chose not to use the more expensive panel which would support Glance. At least that's what I've read. Might be spin. I'd've gladly paid an extra $50 for Glance. Miss it terribly.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
They chose not to use the more expensive panel which would support Glance. At least that's what I've read. Might be spin. I'd've gladly paid an extra $50 for Glance. Miss it terribly.

You are correct. The display does not support Glance. It's missing some kind of memory chip. Regardless, even without Glance, the Icon is still a kick **** phone. My daughter would rather play games on my Icon than on my wife's GS3.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
My parents both have 928 and I have the Icon. I've noticed the touch screen when swiping from the bezel is a lot better on the Icon, in addition to what everyone is saying above. The Icon is a wonderful upgrade from the 928. I know the number is only xx1 higher, but it's a substantial improvement. I've noticed that when trying to access the action/notification center on my parents' 928s, it takes more than one try. Not on my Icon. Really fast and responsive.

And of course, the camera is better, the screen/display is better (and bigger). The only downside I see to the Icon is that it is a bigger phone because of the 5 inch screen, and for someone like me who doesn't have massive hands, it can take some getting used to, and one-handed texting is not that easy, either. But of course results may vary based on hand size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers