Icon or "Goldfinger"?

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently thinking of giving my 920 to my sister (thus converting 2 family members to WP :cool:) and buying myself an Icon (no use waiting for a 930 or importing). However, I'm not sure if it would be wiser to wait for "Goldfinger" to come out or not. I live in Canada, so WP is very scarce up here. IF "Goldfinger" is even real, I'm afraid that it'll be released around the end of the year and only come to Canada a few months into 2015 if at all.

I like my 920, but I'm growing tired of it and want something more future proof and classier than a red glossy Lumia.

What do you guys think?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding of the situation with Nokia is that the newer handsets won't be out until November sometime. That's not saying they won't show up sooner but that's my understanding.

So it's up to you to decide to either wait for something other than the Icon/930 or get something from another OEM that might come out sooner.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
What do we know about Goldfinger at the moment? Is it all pretty vague? I'm also going to be in this boat come October when my contract is up on my 920...

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, I should mention that I'm not interested in getting my next WP device from a non Nokiasoft OEM. It's just personal preference right now. Also, I'd assume that getting a new OEM's WP in Canada would be even less likely than a 930/Goldfinger. And I'm waiting anxiously to hear anything about Goldfinger...

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be wiser to buy the Icon so when Goldfinger comes, you can give your Icon to another family member and thus converting another family member again to WP. B-)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I would actually wait the new devices will be supported longer and most likely have better specs than the icon

Yeah, keep waiting for the device that you don't know is coming. Great idea.

Icon user here, I LOVE this phone. If you're in the market for a phone now, then get the Icon now. My two cents.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Icon user here, I LOVE this phone. If you're in the market for a phone now, then get the Icon now. My two cents.

New phones are coming. It's not a question of if but when, especially with Verizon who is notoriously slow at rolling out new phones. With that said, I agree with the "if you need a phone now, buy an Icon" statement but if you can wait until the official 8.1 release to see which new phones are announced, I'd do it, especially if the rumored HTC WP "flagship" is true.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

There's new phones coming evleaks already leaked there's a HTC w8 coming to Verizon in June possibly which could end up having better specs than the icon and would have a longer support span over the icon so why not wait? I'm sure Nokia will have more to announce as well

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, I should mention that I'm not interested in getting my next WP device from a non Nokiasoft OEM. It's just personal preference right now. Also, I'd assume that getting a new OEM's WP in Canada would be even less likely than a 930/Goldfinger. And I'm waiting anxiously to hear anything about Goldfinger...

Did you guys miss this post where he says he's only interested in a phone made by Nokia/Microsoft? He's not looking for a HTC device.

The Icon is three months young. It's the North American version of the NL930, Nokia's self-proclaimed wp8.1 flagship. And the NL930 hasn't even been released yet. Stop with this "support" BS. The Icon will be supported for years to come.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
If you keep waiting for the next best thing then you wont get anything. The next best phone comes out ever 6 months or so. So when you buy the best in 6 months its old. Buy and enjoy, it wont be your last phone.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the same boat here. In Canada, had the 920 almost as it came out in Canada. Now getting a bit tired of it (still love it though after 8.1 update), and also it went through a lake dive so sometimes it acts up a little. But I have to say the 930 definitely didn't surprise me enough with new features or even hardware upgrades. So most likely I'll be waiting for the goldfinger or the real 8.1 flagship. But I too, worry that it will be quite a long wait this time

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I went out and bought Windows 8 for my laptop and I loved the modern UI so I decided to try out WP8 on the L920... after experiencing Android on an Xperia arc and EVO3D I loved the L920...it's survived: flying out of my pocket while running at full speed and flipping end over end on asphault for like 15 feet; falling down a full flight of stairs twice; falling off of school desks countless times. It's unbreakable lol... I did crack the thin polycarbonate piece on the front where the sim card port is though and had to break it off because it was sticking out :(
Recently it's been having poor reception and download speeds though (both wifi and data).

I'm feeling like GF will be a longer than usual wait and will just be released for a specific carrier, as usual.

Anyways, Ive decided I'll just get an Icon and pass the glossy red torch to my sister. It's time for something a little fresher to be my rectangular baby lol...the next flagship can only be so much better than the icon, right?

Last edited:

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If you keep waiting for the next best thing then you wont get anything. The next best phone comes out ever 6 months or so. So when you buy the best in 6 months its old. Buy and enjoy, it wont be your last phone.

That's a fair point but its worth remembering that most make that commitment to a contract for 12/24 months so... you could potentially regret a hasty purchase for a long time.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, Brandon. I feel that the 929/930 isn't the real flagship that was intended to replace the 920 though (there have been several threads on this here on the forums). As such I've made my decision to wait for the 1030 or Goldfinger.

That does however mean a wait until Q4 2014 or longer though. So it's all about how desperate you are for a new phone.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's a fair point but its worth remembering that most make that commitment to a contract for 12/24 months so... you could potentially regret a hasty purchase for a long time.

But, keep in mind also that those who are on 24 month contracts get upgrades. And those upgrades don't stack. You must use the upgrade to restart the clock.

I don't think this is op's situation, though.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I would actually wait the new devices will be supported longer and most likely have better specs than the icon

Yes it will be better but really how much better? 2.5 gig quad core maybe? This things crazy fast as it is 2.2 bet you wouldn't notice it. A bit better screen maybe? The screen on this is pretty damn good. Maybe a little bit bigger? Well that's one thing that's a preference. Maybe more ram...well that may be the only thing that would actually be significant. All of that is a guess too based on what other rumored devices are stated to have and what goldfinger should come out with to compete.

Do we even know goldfinger is coming to Verizon or that its releasing on all carriers at the same time? Verizon has gotten devices after everyone else before....sometimes long after

Ive been there playing the waiting game, at some point you just have to say this phone is good enough for what I need and go with it.

Edge makes it easier...I can deal with anything for a year.....

I'm on the same boat here. In Canada, had the 920 almost as it came out in Canada. Now getting a bit tired of it (still love it though after 8.1 update), and also it went through a lake dive so sometimes it acts up a little. But I have to say the 930 definitely didn't surprise me enough with new features or even hardware upgrades. So most likely I'll be waiting for the goldfinger or the real 8.1 flagship. But I too, worry that it will be quite a long wait this time

I'm in the same boat, Brandon. I feel that the 929/930 isn't the real flagship that was intended to replace the 920 though (there have been several threads on this here on the forums). As such I've made my decision to wait for the 1030 or Goldfinger.

That does however mean a wait until Q4 2014 or longer though. So it's all about how desperate you are for a new phone.

The 930 wasn't a step up enough from the 920? 720p to 1080p, 1.5 dual core to 2.2 quad, 1 gig of ram to 2

You guys area a tough crowd

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone expected the 930 to have the snapdragon 805 which no one has in a phone (I think there may be a tablet or 2 on the market that uses it), 41mpx pureview camera with no camera hump, 4gb of ram (which no one uses...I think 3 is the most ive seen and even that doesn't seem necessary), 64gb of space (hardly anyone offers this amount as standard, a lot are still using 16gb but with SD expansion), SD card (probably the only real complaint) higher than 1080p screen (on a 5" screen? why??), all for less than 500 bux (good luck....)

I'll just wait for goldfinger...then by the time that comes out, there'll be bigger and better things on the horizion and I might as well wait for that instead of goldfinger......

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think everyone expected the 930 to have the snapdragon 805 which no one has in a phone (I think there may be a tablet or 2 on the market that uses it), 41mpx pureview camera with no camera hump, 4gb of ram (which no one uses...I think 3 is the most ive seen and even that doesn't seem necessary), 64gb of space (hardly anyone offers this amount as standard, a lot are still using 16gb but with SD expansion), SD card (probably the only real complaint) higher than 1080p screen (on a 5" screen? why??), all for less than 500 bux (good luck....)

I'll just wait for goldfinger...then by the time that comes out, there'll be bigger and better things on the horizion and I might as well wait for that instead of goldfinger......

Yeah its on par with what the competition has available now as is what goldfinger probably will be when it comes out too.

Yeah the sd card slot may be a minor annoyance but honestly when I was on android what took up most of my space was the multiple ROMs I was flashing to try and get the phone to work how I wanted it to and backups in case one of those ROMS borked the phone. Now that I dont need to do that space isnt really an issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss