Replacing the camera lens

sri_sk

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I am in the US. I bought one from ebay and then fixed it myself. Did NOT have to open the phone for this.
There were no instructions, but I contacted the seller and they told me how to.

Use a hair dryer to warm the tape under the bezel. Then use a cutter or thin knife with light force to cut off the adhesive at the edge of the lens.
Be careful with the tape that is provided. First remove the central circle so that you are left with just the donut. use a pair of tweezers for best results.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
If the rear camera glass is broken, it's probably the outside glass. You don't even really have to warm it - just pry it all out. Get a replacement with two sided tape, and put the new one in. It's a 10 minute, $8 fix.

Patrick Kildea

May 27, 2015
Visit site
To all who have this similar issue, I just replaced the Camera lens on the Lumia 1520. It was very, very simple. Here's a list of tools you will need:

1. Hair Dryer (doesn't matter what the size, just needs to get hot enough to heat up the glass and plastic.
2. Exacto (very fine, thin razor knife. Pick them up at the hardware store, hobby supply store, or arts & craft store. I bought an entire kit from Harbor Freight for $3.00 US).

Ok, here's how you do it.

1. take off any protective case you have your phone.
2. Turn on your hair dryer, and start to heat up the lens. Move the hair dryer in a circular motion to evenly distribute the heat between the lens and the back cover.
3. Every couple seconds, touch the glass to gauge the temperature. You want it hot to the touch, but not too hot to warp the plastic rear cover.
4. Once it is hot enough, get our your exacto knife, and slowly work the blade around the outside of the camera lens. You will feel the extra glue they used to seal the case. Just be gentle, and slow work the knife down between the camera glass and the case. Note, the camera is pretty far away from the edge of the glass, so don't be afraid you won't hurt the camera or scratch the actual camera lens.
5. Once you feel the knife tip hit the base, gentlely start to pry up with the knife, working the blade under the glass. You may need to give it another shot of heat if the glass cooled down. This heat loosens the adhesive under the glass.
6. Once the lens starts to lift, slide your fingernail under it, and then work the blade around the outside until the glass loosens from the adhesive.
7. Open your new glass, and the new adhesive ring, you can buy them on Ebay for under $4.00 US with free shipping.
8.. Use your knife blade to gently lower and center the new adhesive ring into the opening. Don't worry about the old adhesive, it's still sticky from the heat of your hair dryer, and will add to the holding strength.
9. Hold you new camera glass by the edges, and gently drop it into the opening. Again use the knife to center the glass in the opening.
10. Take a soft cloth, and gently push the new glass into the opening and into the adhesive. Give it another shot of heat from the hair dryer, and push again to ensure it is firmly seated in the new adhesive, and that it makes a good seal to keep the lens of your camera moisture free.

That's it. I would post pictures, but already did the job before thinking about it. I was going to buy another phone, but glad I only spent $4.00 to restore my phone to factory new condition. BTW, I think this phone (Lumia 1520) is amazing.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know how to replace the 1520's camera lens?

If you are asking you probably want to get the full rear housing. They go for ~$22 on eBay and they include the Qi wireless charging coils (great if you have the AT&T model).

Much easier than replacing the lens :)

EDIT2: Usually when people ask about these kind of things one would assume they are not too heavy in DIY repairs. I apologize if I assumed incorrectly, $4 is pretty cheap xD

EDIT: (Red, White, Yellow, Black) : eastwest_star | eBay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6