Nokia camera- Effect of modes (shutter speed, iso, etc) in real time, possible?

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I bought the lumia 1020 month ago and i have a question:

I have digital camera ( canon s110) and once I changeing the iso/shutter speed values i can see how it will be affect on the picture in real time... BEFORE i take the picture...

In the lumia 1020 with nokia camera app I can't see how the iso value affect on the picture.
for example, I set shutter speed to 1/5000, iso to 1600 (the exposure value set automatically to -3.0 eithour option to change)
In the preview everything looks ok but when I take the picture I get very very dark picture =(

In my digital camera I see that the picture is very dark in the screen BEFORE I take the picture.
How can I set my own values without to see how it affect the pictures?!?! :crying:

By the way, there is no option to see histogram graph?!

Thank you guys :)
(sorry for my bad English, I'm trying to do the best :wink: )

Last edited:

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
If i choose a mode in my L1520 in which it can not produce a decent image, it just shows the object i plan to capture with no preview.
If i manualy choose something it can work with, it gives a good preview.

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If i choose a mode in my L1520 in which it can not produce a decent image, it just shows the object i plan to capture with no preview.

What do you mean "with no preview"? If you set the shutter speed to 1/5000 and iso 100 yow can see that the picture will be very dark or you can see that only after you took the picture? (I mean in the gallery).

Thank you!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I bought the lumia 1020 month ago and i have a question:

I have digital camera ( canon s110) and once I changeing the iso/shutter speed values i can see how it will be affect on the picture in real time... BEFORE i take the picture...

In the lumia 1020 with nokia camera app I can't see how the iso value affect on the picture.
for example, I set shutter speed to 1/5000, iso to 1600 (the exposure value set automatically to -3.0 eithour option to change)
In the preview everything looks ok but when I take the picture I get very very dark picture =(

In my digital camera I see that the picture is very dark in the screen BEFORE I take the picture.
How can I set my own values without to see how it affect the pictures?!?! :crying:

By the way, there is no option to see histogram graph?!

Thank you guys :)
(sorry for my bad English, I'm trying to do the best :wink: )

There's almost no point in changing the live preview for things like shutter speed and ISO because that will not affect the live preview, only the photo itself. This is why things like exposure value (which can darken and lighten) and white balance (changes colour temperature) do change because it also applies to the live preview. Also the reason why Nokia don't just add in a bit of code that "simulates" the shutter speed or ISO changing is because it can differ on the situation - i.e. a slower shutter speed in broad daylight will produce a different result to at night.

My recommendation is just to play around a bit with the settings - most professional D-SLRs also don't do live previews based on the settings because it is technically inaccurate and almost pointless. Some things I have found based on playing around with the camera:

• ISO: ideally the lower the better - in broad daylight 100 is best - the 1020 can go up to about 800-1600 before "unacceptable" levels of grain in low-light. Increasing the ISO will mean you can have a faster shutter speed (lower chance of blur) but can also increase grain in the photo
  • Shutter speed: generally I don't touch this often (I usually let it change it based on the other settings I have applied) but at night when I want to capture the stars or something on a tripod 4s is good. Be aware that a long shutter speed allows you to have a lower ISO (thus less grain), but also increases the chance of blur.
  • Focus: I find the closest autofocusing distance to be greater than the manual closest distance. Don't ever use infinity for landscape - the 'notch' nearest to that does the trick
  • White Balance: once again I usually let the phone do the work but usually the WB settings are quite accurate IMO for each scene
  • Exposure Value (EV): +1 -1 is a good bracket range for reducing highlights

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Man, the demo when you first use Nokia Camera helps alot. ;). Beyond that, play with the settings a little, after you learn about them. It wont take you long at all to figure out how to use them and then you'll feel like a genius. :D

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much guys.
I will try to play with the options a little more, maybe I will learn how to use this camera better .

Thanks again :) I really appreciate it.

Erez.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720