1020 ear piece 'Lisp' - audio settings update 2.1.4.1 - shocking

Allen Mead

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had several 1020's, 10 in fact that all suffered with the same issue. When talking to someone, it sounded like they had a lisp. this was only previlant when listening through the normal ear piece speaker. It only did it when connected, ringing tone was fine.

Thought it must be the phone so sent it back, then again and again...

Tried hard re-set, soft re-set nokia recovery software, the lot. All phones did it. they were all yellow, sim free. Now, I am currently on a Vodafone 4G contract. Each phone has been sim free. Sim card has been changed more times than I have had hot dinners.

Strangely enough, I updated the audio settings to version 2.1.4.1 and it has got massively worse!!! so much so that it's almost un-useable. And, users at the other end can also hear the lisp and it's terrible. So much so that I am going to hard reset the phone again and not carry out the audio update.

I also noticed that although I had not changed my volume settings, the phone was definately quieter. Shame, this is one update that's a complete screw up. However, it would lead me to think the lisp issue is sofware related and not hardware.... perhaps....

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
May you should try speaking without a lisp?

I kid - I have heard this several times, but haven't noticed any problems on any of the three 1020's I've had (exchanged for other reasons). I have noticed issues with the noise cancellation causing it to be impossible to hear me though. Maybe make sure that the hole on the top of your phone, and microphone area on the bottom, when you're talking are not covered by anything (including fingers, cases, etc). It relies on getting clear signals from both of these to properly cancel noise, and constants sounds might cause constant distortion.

Does this happen on speaker phone as well?

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I dont have this issue on my 1020 either. I didnt have it on my last one either. Im at a loss. Maybe try a bluetooth headset to see if that makes a difference.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not having issues so haven't tried this, but one way to get rid of some of those embedded programs (I eliminated the Access setting this way) is to turn off auto date, plug something ridiculous like 3552AD in for the year; reboot the phone; go to settings, and then hit Audio. IF it's like Access, a message will come up stating that the program is out of date and will no longer work properly - and would you care to delete? Delete the program; go back to date and time and restore auto setting; reboot phone and you're done. Hope this helps - please post if it did...

Zihad al amin

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not having issues so haven't tried this, but one way to get rid of some of those embedded programs (I eliminated the Access setting this way) is to turn off auto date, plug something ridiculous like 3552AD in for the year; reboot the phone; go to settings, and then hit Audio. IF it's like Access, a message will come up stating that the program is out of date and will no longer work properly - and would you care to delete? Delete the program; go back to date and time and restore auto setting; reboot phone and you're done. Hope this helps - please post if it did...

It doesn't work for me

Allen Mead

May 20, 2013
Visit site
May you should try speaking without a lisp?

I kid - I have heard this several times, but haven't noticed any problems on any of the three 1020's I've had (exchanged for other reasons). I have noticed issues with the noise cancellation causing it to be impossible to hear me though. Maybe make sure that the hole on the top of your phone, and microphone area on the bottom, when you're talking are not covered by anything (including fingers, cases, etc). It relies on getting clear signals from both of these to properly cancel noise, and constants sounds might cause constant distortion.

Does this happen on speaker phone as well?

Fingers are well clear of any external holes and there is no case. the speaker is clear from detritus too. Speaker phone is absolutely fine.

Allen Mead

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thought is might be because I am on a 4G contract and that when receiving or making calls was being caused by reverting back to 3G. However, tried a 3G sim in and still the problem persists. I am thinking that this is part of being a 1020. Disappointed as my 920never did this.

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
You returned 10 devices for this? 10? Sent back, got new one, rinse and repeat 10 times?
I don't know what is more ridiculous, the fact that you did that or that you are still sticking with the phone after doing that.

Allen Mead

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You returned 10 devices for this? 10? Sent back, got new one, rinse and repeat 10 times?
I don't know what is more ridiculous, the fact that you did that or that you are still sticking with the phone after doing that.

You have a fair point and I guess I should have just given up after the first one or two but, I have my reasons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99