Improvements in Lumia 1520 8.1 preview update 2 (2-June-2014)

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is related to the new update, but when I took my phone off charge this morning, and checked it at 11:30 MST today, it was at 4%. I updated last night and had it charging all last night. I hope its just a one-time thing, but I will post updates if anyone else is having similar issues.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My 1520 is quite a bit smoother with this latest update. They fixed the scrolling lag that was introduced with the first update to windows phone 8.1. Before the first update everything was smooth, but with first update really messed me up. The second seems to be better than the original pfd 8.1. I am very happy with it.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Haven't seen any major changes with this update, but a little smoother and no stuttering or freezing. I also think the Bluetooth audio pickup in my car on phone calls is better, which, if it holds, will be much appreciated. I had a few instances where the call wouldn't hang up in the car. But I didn't see this on the ride back.

I installed it yesterday afternoon and experienced a bug in the morning that had recently cropped up, where my emails weren't displaying properly. They would be listed in the inbox but when you tried to open them only the header text would display, with the body of the email in blank, Refresh would bring down new emails to the device, but with the same blank condition. A soft reset fixed the problem. I will give it a day or two to see if this settles away.

I took about an hour and a half ride this afternoon with Scout GPS Navigator running, and with the 1520 plugged into the car charger and it still lost charge steadily and ran hot after I got out of the car.

When I've updated my Blackberry with a beta or leak, there was usually a breaking in period of about a day after which the OS would become noticeably smoother, quicker and more stable (at least for the good builds). I think there was some actual technical reasons that this was true, and not just my subjective delusion. I don't know if an update like this on WP has a similar breaking in period though, but my sense is that it does.

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, I only have last night as an example but to me it seemed that every night xbox music would revert to volume level of 13, last night it did not (I connect external speakers and I don't think I knows the difference between earbuds or speakers) could be a fix in this build.

Cheers
BR

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I must be lucky, mine only keeps getting better and better. Still checking for the "phantom" tap though, has always plagued me.

Kaustav13

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
For me unfortunately after this latest update phone is very slow, every app is taking sometime to open even for the first time Asphalt 7 is hanging :cry:.So its a big disappointment for me.Many people in this thread saying while restarting "WINDOWS PHONE" in writing is not coming but for me not only the logo the writing also is coming. Earlier it was butterly smooth with 8.1 update now its pathetic. Is any one having this problem?

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For me unfortunately after this latest update phone is very slow, every app is taking sometime to open even for the first time Asphalt 7 is hanging :cry:.So its a big disappointment for me.Many people in this thread saying while restarting "WINDOWS PHONE" in writing is not coming but for me not only the logo the writing also is coming. Earlier it was butterly smooth with 8.1 update now its pathetic. Is any one having this problem?

Sounds like you need to do a hard reset. I had a couple of issues on the first update and a hard reset fixed everything. At least now with WP8.1 restoring your phone is great. The only thing that takes a long time is the reloading of all of the apps you had installed.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The latest update messed up my 1520 pretty good. No real issues before that, but since the upgrade battery life decreased and I experience a lot of freezing. Unlocking the screen results in a loading screen more often than not and the phone then freezes up and only comes back to life after a soft reset.

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The latest update messed up my 1520 pretty good. No real issues before that, but since the upgrade battery life decreased and I experience a lot of freezing. Unlocking the screen results in a loading screen more often than not and the phone then freezes up and only comes back to life after a soft reset.

I too have noticed decreased battery life. If I had location and data on, phone sitting idle, it would decrease maybe 3 or 4 % overnight. Now its decreasing 1% every couple of minutes it seems.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I too have noticed decreased battery life. If I had location and data on, phone sitting idle, it would decrease maybe 3 or 4 % overnight. Now its decreasing 1% every couple of minutes it seems.

Need to keep monitoring the battery life. The decrease I saw so far is quite significant. Looks like I figured out the reason for the freezing though. After posting my comment, I remembered that i installed lockmix the same day I did the upgrade.
Uninstalled it and unlocking the screen instantly got a lot snappier. I will know more in a few days, but it sure looks like lockmix doesn't go along well with WP 8.1

Roderick Johnson

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Does the hard reset reinstall the preview version or would I need to start over from 8.0? 8.1 works great but battery life is not close to what I was experiencing before. I have to top off my phone if I use it too much in the evening, especially if I am making phone calls.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
That's not my understanding. If you think that's how it works, then that's fine. When you upgrade from WP8.0, you'll first get an update handler package installed, and then you get the latest WP8.1 build automatically download. I've never seen any reports of people having to re-check and download further incremental updates after upgrading the OS.

I have received my Lumia 1520 today and first thing I have done is install windows phone 8.1 dp... And after installing WP 8.1 I am now updating a 3rd time -_-

Syd90

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Want to know if there has been any improvements towards camera especially video otherwise the phone has become smoother and battery drain has reduced to with average use 2.15% per hr.

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
As an avid Temple Run 2 fan I can confirm that this update has helped with game performance. The game no longer lags when the gameplay speeds up (something I've been critical of on here before).

Also, it fixed a bug I was having with Gmail whereby if you opened an email but it was only partially downloaded, you would tap the option to download the whole message but you could not scroll to the end of message. It would be cut off with no way to get to the bottom except for backing out of the email and opening it up again. It now works as it did in 8.0.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Att 1520, my touch issue has came back as well as the funky negative affect from the lock screen. Phone was awesome for 2days after update now its back. Had the issue on 8.0 went away with 8.1 stayed away with 8.1 update 1 now back with updated 2.
SOOOO EFING OVER IT Microsoft

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Att 1520, my touch issue has came back as well as the funky negative affect from the lock screen. Phone was awesome for 2days after update now its back. Had the issue on 8.0 went away with 8.1 stayed away with 8.1 update 1 now back with updated 2.
SOOOO EFING OVER IT Microsoft

Do you have your phone password protected? After the latest update the other day, it's hard to unlock my phone. I barely touch the keypad, and it will register as 3 or 4 taps and then tells me I entered the code incorrectly. Sometimes it takes several tries to make it work. I don't want to give up the security of requiring the code to unlock the phone, but I don't want to be locked out of my own phone either.

amer ashoobi

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeap . But something changed on ma lumia 1520. My notifications icon ( battery. Wifi . . . ) is get too small and also the keyboard buttons. . I mean those item in winphone 8 was bigger than 8.1 developer.is that a problem or no? If u wanna screenshots i can send.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you have your phone password protected? After the latest update the other day, it's hard to unlock my phone. I barely touch the keypad, and it will register as 3 or 4 taps and then tells me I entered the code incorrectly. Sometimes it takes several tries to make it work. I don't want to give up the security of requiring the code to unlock the phone, but I don't want to be locked out of my own phone either.

Yes mine does that too now when I have a password.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05