WTF moment: Turning OFF battery saver did improve the battery life on my Lumia 925

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Now on a serious note, how do you turn off battery saver? Do some of you guys keep the battery saver on all the time? Doesn't that renders your phone useless.On my 920, battery saver turns on by itself when the battery reaches 20%.

And at that moment my phone survives, and I mean it can last on those 20% a complete 24hours (if I don't use it). Or do you mean just to toggle of the bottom that turns on Batter saver when it reaches 20%?

Such posts confuse me. If some one could upload a screen shot of what he does in the Battery saver app. :D

Just to make things clear, when you say battery saver, you mean when your phone has a shield sign on your battery, right? Because that's when your phone starts to block background tasks and email sync.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
In the battery saver app there's a setting to disable the battery saver app from running in the background. That's what I'm assuming everyone is talking about here

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In the battery saver app there's a setting to disable the battery saver app from running in the background. That's what I'm assuming everyone is talking about here

Yes

I went back to using Insider Pro for battery status.
Difficult to judge what any one user's results will be depending on app structure, use...etc.

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Turning off double tap to wake should work and leaving nfc off works for me. Battery saver maybe because it keeps eye on battery and something isn't working correct atm? Not sure. My battery seems fine but I've always never had battery saver on, I don't want limited functions even when low lol. I keep wifi and all that off as well but location always on so I can use Cortana.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried turning off battery saver, but the only thing I think I really needed to do was disable it from running in the background. My 925 was off the charger yesterday morning around 9:30 or 10. I was out all day and a good portion of the night because of an unexpected emergency. When I put the phone down at 1am, the battery was at 56%. I got up this morning with it around 45% and then didn't charge it again until around 2 or 2:30 in the afternoon. That's not too bad at all.

greenspot

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried turning off battery saver, but the only thing I think I really needed to do was disable it from running in the background.

Tried this trick jjust now, and i already feel the difference. My L925 doesn't feel too much hot now, and i pretty optimistic battery life will last little bit longer

shinkamui

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I turned off battery saver on the "advice" of this thread last week. I keep everything on, location, bluetooth, wifi, glance peek, and have exchange, gmail, and cortana running in the background. My battery life significantly went up. Prior to the "fix" I would take the phone off the charger about 8, with little to no use (weak signal at work and wifi calling is broken in 8.1), and leave the office around 4:30-5 with less than 20% battery life. Virtually no actual on time in this scenario. With normal mail checking, and instant messaging, it would die just after lunch. After the toggle, with no use, im ending my day in the mid to upper 60s. With the described moderate use, and lately some streaming music, im still above 50% when leaving at 4:30-5. Anyone on 8.1dp experiencing battery problems should try this. My phone additionally does not get hot in general anymore, though with heavy lte use, it still warms up.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear that. What phone do you use?

I turned off battery saver on the "advice" of this thread last week. I keep everything on, location, bluetooth, wifi, glance peek, and have exchange, gmail, and cortana running in the background. My battery life significantly went up. Prior to the "fix" I would take the phone off the charger about 8, with little to no use (weak signal at work and wifi calling is broken in 8.1), and leave the office around 4:30-5 with less than 20% battery life. Virtually no actual on time in this scenario. With normal mail checking, and instant messaging, it would die just after lunch. After the toggle, with no use, im ending my day in the mid to upper 60s. With the described moderate use, and lately some streaming music, im still above 50% when leaving at 4:30-5. Anyone on 8.1dp experiencing battery problems should try this. My phone additionally does not get hot in general anymore, though with heavy lte use, it still warms up.

Williams_810

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Dang, that's interesting! I didn't even think that the battery saver function affected battery life that badly. I'm gonna try that on my own 925!

What were the results like from the app you downloaded to check battery performance w/ and w/o battery saver?

shinkamui

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Try turning off Glance as well if your phone has it. I've noticed an increase in battery life since doing that.

If I have to turn off glance, and the other useful unique features that separate windows phone from the competition , then what's the point?

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

Promethius99

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed no battery life improvements for my 925, at all throughout all the updates etc….it still has to be charged every day, but i still love my windows phone!!!!

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey I think its normal... if it last you for 8 hours then your okay at least for me. It has only 2000MAh battery so not so high capacity really.
I think there is no way for a Lumia 925 to last 2 days except if you disable network features.

Here is what I have observed. I'm in Japan now and 3G coverage is fantastic and I think it plays a key role in battery life. I did try to use 2G on my Lumia 925 and battery life was really long but if you do that why use a smartphone? right? But here in Japan since signal is consistent my phone does not have to cope with adjusting itself to get 3G unlike in other country like my home town Manila, Philippines where 3G is not so strong and widely available so my phone has to work hard to get 3G. So in reality its not the phone makers fault also but the carriers too. Just my two cents.

I have noticed no battery life improvements for my 925, at all throughout all the updates etc….it still has to be charged every day, but i still love my windows phone!!!!

mingwaal

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have found things like turning off battery saver on some of my nokias give me better battery life while not so on others. Oh Yeah, i don't smoke, never have in my 48 years and have a degenerative lung disease too that is irreversible and 3 largets killer in world. And my old man smoke likes a diesel truck.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
One more time, repeat after me: "Battery Saver does NOTHING until your battery reaches the default 10% level (or where you change it to.) At that time it shuts off "non essential" functions like wifi and bluetooth.

It's a travesty that MS called this Battery Saver. Should have been more in line with like Battery Life Raft. Everyone thinks that if it's enabled, the phone will use less juice. Well, DOH, why wouldn't they just build that into the OS?

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
All battery saver in background does is allow the live tile to update it. If you disable it from running in the background, your battery saver tile won't update unless you open the app, so you could have full battery but the tile shows it almost depleted, as you last ran the app on low battery.

I have noticed little to non-discernible increase in battery life, with it disabled from background. Lumia 1520 (937) cyan firmware. This may be a problem specific to certain models, but I have heard say 1520 owners experience it too. It's entirely possible this thing is more pronounced on 925's.

It's a travesty that MS called this Battery Saver.

How is it a travesty? It kicks in at 20%, and it does indeed save battery. Therefore, its name is not a lie. It does make a difference. It also acts as a hub where the user can go to disable background tasks, further conserving charge.

Battery Saver does NOTHING until your battery reaches the default. Should have been more in line with like Battery Life Raft. Everyone thinks that if it's enabled, the phone will use less juice.

I'm scratching my head wondering if you actually use a Windows Phone device, because everyone here who's used battery saver knows you can manually turn it on at ANY charge level, allowing the phone to use 'less juice' across the board. That's hardly what I'd call a life-raft functionality, is it? If I turn battery saver on at 100% charge, it's doing exactly what you're suggesting it should do, which is use less juice at any charge level.

The 'life-raft' scenario implies it can ONLY be used at low charge, which is simply not true, and even if it were true, I bet you most users wouldn't want it kicking in unless their battery were low anyway, because... why cripple the device when you have plenty of juice left?

Well, DOH, why wouldn't they just build that into the OS

Windows Phone is already one of the most battery-efficient OS, if not THE most efficient one. I think the battery life differences between the HTC M8 on Android and WP speak for themselves. What makes you think Microsoft hasn't already designed the OS to be as efficient as possible? Should they bake battery saver's enabled mode into the OS instead, so users can never get background tasks, period?

Furthermore, the reason why battery saver, by default, only kicks in at a low battery remaining, is so that people aren't effectively using crippled devices fresh off a full charge. iPhones do the same thing; they have a low battery mode, and a super-low battery mode below that. There's no sense in crippling what your phone can do unless you specifically need to do so.

One more time, repeat after me

Could your attitude possibly be any more snarky? Why do you feel the need to talk down to people?

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
All battery saver in background does is allow the live tile to update it. If you disable it from running in the background, your battery saver tile won't update unless you open the app, so you could have full battery but the tile shows it almost depleted, as you last ran the app on low battery.

I have noticed little to non-discernible increase in battery life, with it disabled from background. Lumia 1520 (937) cyan firmware. This may be a problem specific to certain models, but I have heard say 1520 owners experience it too. It's entirely possible this thing is more pronounced on 925's.

How is it a travesty? It kicks in at 20%, and it does indeed save battery. Therefore, its name is not a lie. It does make a difference. It also acts as a hub where the user can go to disable background tasks, further conserving charge.

I'm scratching my head wondering if you actually use a Windows Phone device, because everyone here who's used battery saver knows you can manually turn it on at ANY charge level, allowing the phone to use 'less juice' across the board. That's hardly what I'd call a life-raft functionality, is it? If I turn battery saver on at 100% charge, it's doing exactly what you're suggesting it should do, which is use less juice at any charge level.

The 'life-raft' scenario implies it can ONLY be used at low charge, which is simply not true, and even if it were true, I bet you most users wouldn't want it kicking in unless their battery were low anyway, because... why cripple the device when you have plenty of juice left?

Windows Phone is already one of the most battery-efficient OS, if not THE most efficient one. I think the battery life differences between the HTC M8 on Android and WP speak for themselves. What makes you think Microsoft hasn't already designed the OS to be as efficient as possible? Should they bake battery saver's enabled mode into the OS instead, so users can never get background tasks, period?

Furthermore, the reason why battery saver, by default, only kicks in at a low battery remaining, is so that people aren't effectively using crippled devices fresh off a full charge. iPhones do the same thing; they have a low battery mode, and a super-low battery mode below that. There's no sense in crippling what your phone can do unless you specifically need to do so.

Could your attitude possibly be any more snarky? Why do you feel the need to talk down to people?

Oh, trust me, I can get much snarkier. I just don't suffer fools gladly.

I don't see that you are saying anything that contradicts what I said. My thing of calling it Battery Life Raft was just an off hand comment about how as Battery Saver, zillions of users think that if it's on, their phone will, well, save battery life all along. If you turn BS on, (yes, I do have three WP's, all with 8.1 update) it very succinctly says, and I quote, "Conserve battery when it gets low." The word "when" is crucial to understanding this. I'm sure you do, but the aforementioned reading comprehension challenged apparently don't.

BTW, with 8.1 Update, I just noticed that there is no way to set your own percent of battery life, nor does it even say how low is low when it activates. Bad Microsoft, bad! Not that I care, I never let my phones get that low.

Abhishek Krishna

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed another thing yesterday. I was outside and didn't have charge and battery saver turned on. Then when the battery dropped below 10% or so, the phone was actually slower and even got stuck at the lock screen two times. So it looks it enters a kind of ultra power saving mode at very low battery levels. (But I also turned off everything at that time - wifi, location, glance, double tap)
Finally could get to a charger around 1.5 hours later with battery at 5%. (It usually turns off at around 4%. Never seen it go below 2%. Sometimes it has even shutdown at around 6% while playing games.
BTW its a Lumia 620, which has the smallest battery among all Windows Phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb