Bad build quality

airyblue

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am very dissapointent with the build quality on this phone. I never dropped my phone and i always use a case with it and nothing else in my pocket except my phone. My back is full with scratches and today i noticed even some of the gloss is gone and the side edge of the back. The phone is 5months old and it looks like my lumia 920 which is 2 years old and i dropped it many times without using any case. I used to have 800 it was great then i bought 920 it is the best quality i have seen on any phone and now with 1520 i feel like im using samsung.
Do you think its because i have a gloss red ? Is the matt color better ? Im planning to buy replacement but its gonna cost me ?71. Im ready to pay it if i know my phone is gonna be like new but i dont want to spend that money and after few weeks i have scratches again.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My matte yellow 1520 is now 4 months old or so. It doesn't have any scretches or dents at all. Neither on the display, nor on the back. And I'm not using any screen protectors or cases. That said, I'm always handling my devices with care.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I am very dissapointent with the build quality on this phone. I never dropped my phone and i always use a case with it and nothing else in my pocket except my phone. My back is full with scratches and today i noticed even some of the gloss is gone and the side edge of the back. The phone is 5months old and it looks like my lumia 920 which is 2 years old and i dropped it many times without using any case. I used to have 800 it was great then i bought 920 it is the best quality i have seen on any phone and now with 1520 i feel like im using samsung.
Do you think its because i have a gloss red ? Is the matt color better ? Im planning to buy replacement but its gonna cost me ?71. Im ready to pay it if i know my phone is gonna be like new but i dont want to spend that money and after few weeks i have scratches again.

Well,put a case on it.

There is nothing wrong with the build quality of the phone,it's you.
The phone is bigger,rides in your pocket,backpack differently,and is a high gloss finish,and as such easier to scratch,and notice easier.

Go with the black one.

Mac

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You see, that is the puzzling part, how do you get scratches if you use a case? Not taking about a pouch that you slip it in. But a case would stop anything from touching the back. If you have scratches, then it has to be either a bad case, or you are removing it from the case. And I have read reports of the sim tray being loose on some. That is something you should contact Nokia on...

airyblue

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
thats what im wondering i have 3 cases only time my phone is not in a case is when i change it. I have Amzer pudding, nokia flip case and one generic tpu case. Most of the time i use the amzer.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you any photos of the scratches? What you call bad scratches others might call slight. I know that any mark on my phones really bothers me and I would notice the smallest of marks.

As said above if you have a case on your phone and it still got scratched it is either the fault of the case or yourself. Maybe the case had dirt in it when you put it on the phone.

airyblue

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
They are not deep scratches many people will not be bothered but i dont like it. I take a good care of my phone even better than my 920 because its glossy but still the back is almost the same on my 920 for 2 years use and 5-6 1metre drops. Thats why im thinking to buy a matt replacement if its better. For me the glossy one is not good quality at all. I have friends with phones which have gloss finish on the back and their phones dont have so many scratches. I cant say this phone is better quality than my 920 everything else is much better but not the quality for me.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
They are not deep scratches many people will not be bothered but i dont like it. I take a good care of my phone even better than my 920 because its glossy but still the back is almost the same on my 920 for 2 years use and 5-6 1metre drops. Thats why im thinking to buy a matt replacement if its better. For me the glossy one is not good quality at all. I have friends with phones which have gloss finish on the back and their phones dont have so many scratches. I cant say this phone is better quality than my 920 everything else is much better but not the quality for me.

The bit I don't get is that you say you use a case but you got scratches on the phone, how?

Last edited:

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the black one since the day they first came out. My phone looks almost stock. I have always used a case. Maybe the glossy ones are more to scratches. I never bothered with getting a pretty color since I was going to put it in a case anyway.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I also got my red 1520 when they first came out. I keep it in a case (Tudia Melody) most of the time except when I want to show it off and Christmas and Valentine's Day (gotta show it off then). My baby looks just like new with no scratches. Maybe yours came from a bad batch.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a Glossy red 1520 and aside from my greasy finger prints it was fine lol....I now see the pros of Matte.

I have a Matte Yellow 1520 now and it is scratch free and has no finger prints.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a Glossy red 1520 and aside from my greasy finger prints it was fine lol....I now see the pros of Matte.

I have a Matte Yellow 1520 now and it is scratch free and has no finger prints.

I had a red 2520 and I used polish and sealant that I use on my car and it helped with the finger prints, it cut them by 90%

The yellow is nice and at the moment I'm rocking yellow but I might change to white at the weekend, I have yellow, white and black.

airyblue

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I got the matte black back today it feels better I have to wait and see. My first scratch on the red one came after 2 weeks of use with nokia flip case on. Also the sim door is still not closing as good as microsd.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I got the matte black back today it feels better I have to wait and see. My first scratch on the red one came after 2 weeks of use with nokia flip case on. Also the sim door is still not closing as good as microsd.

Dont know how, but if you really get scratches on the back of your phone with cases on, your either really supernaturally careless of your story is full of sh*t (no disrespect intended).

And if you took your case out to check for scratches, I believe there must have been something that warranted it then.

airyblue

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Dont know how, but if you really get scratches on the back of your phone with cases on, your either really supernaturally careless of your story is full of sh*t (no disrespect intended).

And if you took your case out to check for scratches, I believe there must have been something that warranted it then.

Well if im careless how come my other devices are fine. My surface RT is still like new not a single scratch and I don't use case for it or screen protector. Also I have Lumia 800 2 1/2 years old again no case only one small scratch on the metal plate on the back.
And if you go to nokia discussions you will see many people complain from the quality of 1520.
Anyway hopefully my problem was the glossy back not that good and the matte one will be ok. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs