Losing internet capability overnight

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 with WP 8.1 DP (latest updates even) has an issue with losing the ability to get on the internet (WIFI or LTE) when left overnight.

It's not my main phone, more of just a "toy" for playing with WP 8.1, and I what I have on there is pretty much left alone. In other words, I'm not constantly installing apps and making all sorts of changes.

Basically, I notice the phone has no internet access so I turn of WIFI, thinking it will use LTE but it doesn't. No internet. I can launch apps, etc., but a few i've tried that use internet just say "loading" with the dots scrolling across the screen.

If I try to pull down the notification center from the top, the phone freezes and requires a soft reset.

Yesterday, after a soft reset, internet was fine over LTE. I left WIFI turned OFF and still, overnight it lost internet again.

Any ideas what might be causing this behavior overnight? It doesn't seem to do this during the day (if I reset it in the morning, it is fine all day until the next morning).

I really don't want to hassle with a hard reset and setting everything back up. There must be some process that is happening overnight...

Thanks!

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a pretty similar issue on my 1520. Every morning I don't have internet access through WiFi. It is still connected, but no traffic transfer. So I need to turn it on and off. I guess it might be due to the WP 8.1 DP. Didn't check for a fix though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a static channel on your router or is the channel set to 'automatic'?

I had issues with disconnection from my WiFi network (prior to 8.1 DP) on my 920 when I had my router set to select its channel automatically. I changed the channel on my router to 10, and the disconnection stopped.

Darryl Mylrea

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a pretty similar issue on my 1520. Every morning I don't have internet access through WiFi. It is still connected, but no traffic transfer. So I need to turn it on and off. I guess it might be due to the WP 8.1 DP. Didn't check for a fix though.

If you don't mind trying in the morning when you've lost internet, please turn off WIFI and see if you can get on the internet via LTE.
Also, if you have no connection at all, try bringing down the notification center (swiping down from the top) and see if it causes your 1520 to lock up.

And, post back your findings, of course! :)

Thanks.

Darryl Mylrea

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Are you using a static channel on your router or is the channel set to 'automatic'?

I had issues with disconnection from my WiFi network (prior to 8.1 DP) on my 920 when I had my router set to select its channel automatically. I changed the channel on my router to 10, and the disconnection stopped.

For me, as I stated, it's not just a WIFI thing. WIFI and LTE are both down (or at the least, a network issue exists in the phone not allowing either to work), and the phone is on the brink of freezing up, easily duplicated by pulling down the notification center.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind trying in the morning when you've lost internet, please turn off WIFI and see if you can get on the internet via LTE.
Also, if you have no connection at all, try bringing down the notification center (swiping down from the top) and see if it causes your 1520 to lock up.

And, post back your findings, of course! :)

Thanks.
If I turn off the WiFi - there is mobile data transfer (I use 3G).
Also my phone didn't block/freeze/lock up etc for any reason.
Btw I also noticed sometimes, even if there is WiFi connection, mobile data (3G) is used for traffic transfer (I see H+ up on the screen, when it's no 3G transfer - it's just H).

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I was finally able to figure out what the cause of my Lumia 1520 issues.

Two mornings ago, I verified I lost internet again, and noticed on my start screen that my Clock tile (Clock Hub) had frozen at 2:45AM in the morning.

On a chance, I decided to uninstall it. Ever since, my 1520 has been working normally. I checked the Clock Hub site on the MS app store and a couple other comments said the same thing.

Yay!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss