can connect to wifi but no internet. shown as "limited"

oelapoel

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Nokia lumia 1520 DP8.1 connected to wifi but unable to access internet. It shows the connection as "limited"

Other fact:

1. never had this issue in wp8.0

2. all other gadgets (laptop, note, galaxy tab) do not have issue with connection and internet to the wifi router at home

3. NL1520 sometimes have internet connection when connected, but I cannot tell the pattern (I thought it was limit of connection, but it wasn't).

4. If connect my laptop to router, and then make my laptop as an internet router(use Spotify for example), NL1520 can connect to laptop's wifi and ALWAYS have internet connection (this has been my work around solution)

5. NL1520 can connect to other router in public just fine, so only my router at home.. but fact the other gadgets has no issue, I assume it is NL 1520 issue.

Any help? Cheers

Last edited:

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like maybe they are competing for the same IP... Unplug router for a minute and plug back in and connect the phone to router and make sure laptop doesn't connect until after phone does. So turn laptop wifi off till phones connected first.

oelapoel

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
hmm.. I have been doing some research and apparently not only NL1520 have this issue... others with WP8.1 also has similar issue..
It happens when they are not "competing" i.e. I just try it out of the blue, and even when others were off. I have done restarts/soft reset phone, on-off airplane mode, etc .. no luck so far.. cant find any pattern or potential problem source...

rivac7

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Dude,

try connecting to other WiFi then when you go back home try reconnecting to your WiFi. It worked for me so does to you too.

Kr,
riv

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The "limited" usually means the connection to the hotspot is OK, but the device can't then get to the URL of a Microsoft server (I forget the specific URL) which confirms internet access. More often than not, a DNS issue. But you've got other devices working OK, so it's the 1520 playing up.
The WiFi in 8.1DP is pretty flaky generally. There's a good many posts of people having issues connecting to previously-working hotspots etc. Me included, I used to be able to walk from one end of the city to the other with constant WiFi, but running 8.1DP now, it won't connect to anything "open". Hope it's fixed in the public release.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If you use, might be worth checking if the Internet Sharing still works - mine doesn't on latest update. It just hangs. Even after a restart.

oelapoel

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
My Router: TP-LINK TD-W8101G 54M wireless ADSL2 Modem Router

But I believe it is not the router due to he fact that other gadgets are fine and I never experienced this issue in WP8.0

I forgot about restarting my phone but I think I would have done it in the beginning it happened.. I might try it again next time. Lately I just cant be bothered, due to the workaround solution I stated before (use my laptop as router and connect my NL1520 to my laptop which connect to my TPLINK modem. works 100% every time)

As with internet sharing, it has always been working since I use it all the time.

woutwout

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Have the same issue, sometimes. Turning wifi off and on again, on the phone, usually solves it. WP8.1 wifi is more unstable than 8.0. Hopefully will be solved in final release later this month

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
@Will6371 Do you mean reset as in "long press reset button and return to factory setting" or just simply reset/restart the router?

Press the reset button on your router or just unplug it for a few minutes will do the same thing.

You could also look into changing the channel your router is running on especially if you live in an apartment block with other people(neighbours) using the same WiFi provider. Your WiFi provider will be able to tell you what you need to know to do it.

oelapoel

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Tried router reset/restart, problem persist. at the moment, still random: sometimes it just works but lately around 90% of the time it doesn't. Well lets just hope Microsoft do something about it. It is afterall should be a basic functionality and they did got it right before pre 8.1 versions....

Lumia Jack

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Lumia 1520 with the latest Developer Preview update. Before this latest update my wifi was working fine, and with regular WP8.0 it also had no issues. Since the update, I have the same issue as the OP, my wifi will randomlly drop to "Limited" for seemingly no reason.

So it may be an issue with the latest Developer Preview update, hopefully they'll sort these things out for the next update. Until then I just try to remember to check my wifi status before any app updates and downloads. I can't be too upset about it, it is afterall called a "preview".

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Lumia 1520 with the latest Developer Preview update. Before this latest update my wifi was working fine, and with regular WP8.0 it also had no issues. Since the update, I have the same issue as the OP, my wifi will randomlly drop to "Limited" for seemingly no reason.

So it may be an issue with the latest Developer Preview update, hopefully they'll sort these things out for the next update. Until then I just try to remember to check my wifi status before any app updates and downloads. I can't be too upset about it, it is afterall called a "preview".
It is definitely an issue, my 1520 most of the time will not connect to wifi unless I restart the phone. If I click on will not connect. Hopefully they release a patch soon. Eve thought it is a developer preview and I understand that have bugs. I can wait until Microsoft release an update.

oelapoel

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah well it sux I know.. but there is workaround as I have stated in my first post:

4. If connect my laptop to router, and then make my laptop as an internet router(use Spotify for example), NL1520 can connect to laptop's wifi and ALWAYS have internet connection (this has been my work around solution)

So maybe in the mean time we have to be happy with this workaround until Microsoft fix this annoying basic functionality

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos