Screen Banding or Streaking on New Icon

anon(27014)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a new Icon yesterday as an upgrade to my 920. Whenever I have a screen displaying with a lot of solid color like some app settings screens or if you hold the back button to see all the apps, I see minor vertical bands where the color isn't even. Same shows with a pixel tester. It isn't super annoying, but it is clear that there's not a consistent color. Anyone else having this on their Icon phones? Any ideas if the oled screen needs to "break in" or can fix itself?

anon(27014)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't get a good picture of it. Some Internet research shows it to be a 'mura' effect, but I couldn't find other cases of it on an Icon. Here's a screenshot from a PSVita that looks similar. The background looks like it has texture, but should be flat. Running a pixel testing program that flashes RGB on the screen, I can only see the effect with the Green screen. Others look ok. I can't see it at all if looking at pictures or in a game or something. Just if there is a solid background.

photo.jpg Photo by MetroidSlayer0 | Photobucket

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Although I can't reproduce the effect on my Icon, here is some more info.

Mura Effect & AMOLED Displays (Note II) - xda-developers

It seems to be a quirk of AMOLED caused by the inherent imprecision in the manufacturing process. And yes, this is the first I've heard of it on the Icon. Evidently, it was a problem on Samsung phones. Although, I've never noticed it on any of my Samsung phones that I've previously owned. Specifically the GN2, GNex, and Fascinate.

If it's really bad, you might want to take it back for a replacement.

anon(27014)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Great info, thank you. I think I'd have a hard time taking it back for a problem that I can't even get on camera. It's a bit of a nit-pick that hopefully I'll forget about over time. First day with a new phone, the expectations are through the roof ;)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... Maybe I'm just so used to it because of the phones I've used over the past five years. Every phone I've used since 2009 all had AMOLED displays, and evidently, this is a known issue with that type of display. I do notice a purplish hue when I start the desktop mode and dial down the brightness when I set it on my charger at night. Is that what you are talking about?

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
do you mean it looks like a gradient from top to bottom? because if so, when I purchased an icon I had that issue as well. luckily I noticed before I even left the store and swapped it out.

anon(27014)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It makes solid colors look a little more like matte instead of gloss. It is very slight. I may go check out another one to see if its just mine.

BelleGOBLUE

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It makes solid colors look a little more like matte instead of gloss. It is very slight. I may go check out another one to see if its just mine.

Let me know what you find out. I just noticed that I have the same issue, pretty bad with some colors. Can't get a pic of it to share, but it looks just like yours - vertical lines that are off color, along with some slight blotchy-ness. I'm going to try to go back to Verizon and look at their test unit and compare.

I made another post about the screen ghosting issue a couple days ago... I wonder if these issues are related at all?

anon(27014)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I went to the verizon store today because I was curious and the display model had the exact same issue. The green pixels weren't even. You can tell by changing primary color. The salesman said he's only noticed it on the Nokia phones, but I was the first customer to comment on it. Couldn't show me another new one because it has to be activated to get to the home screen. Once I get 8.1 with the transparent tiles, I won't notice it. Pics and movies still look amazing on the phone.

BelleGOBLUE

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I went to the verizon store today because I was curious and the display model had the exact same issue. The green pixels weren't even. You can tell by changing primary color. The salesman said he's only noticed it on the Nokia phones, but I was the first customer to comment on it. Couldn't show me another new one because it has to be activated to get to the home screen. Once I get 8.1 with the transparent tiles, I won't notice it. Pics and movies still look amazing on the phone.

I just went to the verizon store yesterday, and compared mine with the floor model. I noticed that both had the slight blotchy-ness, but the floor model did NOT have the vertical lines that mine did. I had one line in particular that was fairly pronounced. The guy looked at it, noticed it, and gave me a whole new phone! I am pleased to report that my new phone does not have the vertical lines! It does still have some of the blotchy-ness, but not as bad as my previous version.

It was slightly annoying to have to re-install WP 8.1 and all my apps and everything, but I'm glad that the vertical line problem was fixed!

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon