Lumia 630 display problem - buy 625 instead?

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Today I went to two different shops to check out the Lumia 630. Basically a nice and fast phone, what has been written here before.

But I noticed in both cases, the in the top horizontal area of the display, just a few millimeters deep, (approx the height of the battery symbol), the display is uneven and has "waves" of different brightnesses. It is easily recognizable, but you need a bright picture, for example a bright photo. I compared it with the Lumia 625 nearby, which did not have this problem. Check it out, just start the Office app which is bright and white at the top.

So I hesitated to buy the phone, as it seems to be lacking display quality.

I'm now thinking about the Lumia 625 instead. It is a little more expensive, but has LTE/4G, the display is bigger and better. What I'm not sure about, from samples at Flickr, the 625 camera looks rather bad, worse then the 630. And you cannot change the battery.

So what to do? Accepting the "waves" on top of the 630 screen, or go for the older model 625? The price difference isn't that much of an issue.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey wgrs!! Welcome to the forum!!

The L630 is new enough I am not sure if this screen fault you are describing is common or not. Honestly, there is no easy way to tel until there are enough of them in the wild to gauge it. I have heard enough on the L625 to know that you should be getting a MUCH better phone in the L630 as far as performance and the built-in WP 8.1.

If you have the time to wait on the new device, give it a couple weeks and let's see what the L630 users say and if Microsoft releases some upgrades/firmware updates. If you can't wait, follow your gut. Maybe take a gander at the L625 forums to get an idea of how users think of that phone:

Nokia Lumia 625 - Windows Phone Central Forums

Feel free to open a "what do you think of it" thread there. It will help give you a sense of it's performance.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi snowmutt, thanks for the friendly reception!

In the meanwhile I have found that other users saw the same problems with the display of the 630. It is even mentioned in one of the reviews:

The backlight is also quite inconsistent. There is a slightly dimmed area at the top that appears to be where the downward-firing backlight LEDs live. It's a sign this isn't a top-quality screen.

One could argue that the phone is cheap, so live with it. But in the shops I visited, even some el-cheapo Androids didn't have such a problem. There seem to be quality issues.

How about other owners of the 630 here in the forum?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Comparing the 625 on those points, the 625's display is lower quality (assuming both the 625 and 630 don't have any problems) and I believe the sealed battery is larger.

But I hold the 630 as better, Nokia Care probably would concur that its a defect. They probably would replace it under warranty. I hope.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi wgrs

I'm a Lumia 625 Owner Hi welcome to Lumia Familly :D

I already read and watch fer review about L630 and compared to mine there few poin that you should know

? Both Phone Have 5 MP Camera
? Both Phone Have 512 MB of RAM
?Both Phone Have SD Card Slot

Lumia 630

+ Lumia 630 Has 4 Cores Theorically it perform Faster than L625
+ Has 2 Sim Card Slot
+ Most likely run 8.1
+ Battery Removable

- Didn't have dedicated camera button
- No Flash for main camera
- No Front Camera
- Got 4.5 Screen Size

Lumia 625

+ Has Front Camera
+ Has Flash
+ Dedicated Camera Button
+ 4.7 Screen Size
+ 4G LTE Network

- Battery Not Removable
- 2 Cores Prossecor
- Run 8.0 by Default Upgradable to 8.1
- Single SIM

As You Mention 625 has less camera compared 630 I think 625 has better camera due to Flash and Dedicated Camera Button Available

This is Image Taken by my 625 with auto setting http://1drv.ms/1pxORm9

In my Conclusion 630 most likely Succeded Lumia 530 Not 620 (Simply say 625 are 620 with LTE and Bigger Screen) due to it Camera Flash. In my oppinion you should take 625 Instead 630 or maybe can wait for 635 or 730.Since I using 625 with 8.1 I havent suffer any performance issues

Fell free to ask again. :D

Game that I played on my 625
?Playing Royal Revolt 2
?NFS Hot Persuit
?HALO Spartan Assault
?Aspalt 7 Heat
?Aspalt 8 Airbone
?6 Guns
?Assasin Creed

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
That's because it's an edgelit LCD display, I have the 630 and it has this too. My mrs has a 625 and that display does the same at high brightness. So does the 520 and so does the 620. The higher end models don't have this because they are backlit.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's because it's an edgelit LCD display, I have the 630 and it has this too. My mrs has a 625 and that display does the same at high brightness. So does the 520 and so does the 620. The higher end models don't have this because they are backlit.
I can confirm this. It's a design choice, and one that will really have perfectionists on edge.

It's a shame, though. Otherwise, the screen is amazing.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm this. It's a design choice, and one that will really have perfectionists on edge.

It's a shame, though. Otherwise, the screen is amazing.

Do you have issues with screen unlocking in your pocket? I use a lock screen password but then it turns things on or off in the notification center 😒

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi wgrs

I'm a Lumia 625 Owner Hi welcome to Lumia Familly :D

I already read and watch fer review about L630 and compared to mine there few poin that you should know

? Both Phone Have 5 MP Camera
? Both Phone Have 512 MB of RAM
?Both Phone Have SD Card Slot

Lumia 630

+ Lumia 630 Has 4 Cores Theorically it perform Faster than L625
+ Has 2 Sim Card Slot
+ Most likely run 8.1
+ Battery Removable

- Didn't have dedicated camera button
- No Flash for main camera
- No Front Camera
- Got 4.5 Screen Size

Lumia 625

+ Has Front Camera
+ Has Flash
+ Dedicated Camera Button
+ 4.7 Screen Size
+ 4G LTE Network

- Battery Not Removable
- 2 Cores Prossecor
- Run 8.0 by Default Upgradable to 8.1
- Single SIM

As You Mention 625 has less camera compared 630 I think 625 has better camera due to Flash and Dedicated Camera Button Available

This is Image Taken by my 625 with auto setting http://1drv.ms/1pxORm9

In my Conclusion 630 most likely Succeded Lumia 530 Not 620 (Simply say 625 are 620 with LTE and Bigger Screen) due to it Camera Flash. In my oppinion you should take 625 Instead 630 or maybe can wait for 635 or 730.Since I using 625 with 8.1 I havent suffer any performance issues

Fell free to ask again. :D

Game that I played on my 625
?Playing Royal Revolt 2
?NFS Hot Persuit
?HALO Spartan Assault
?Aspalt 7 Heat
?Aspalt 8 Airbone
?6 Guns
?Assasin Creed

Agreed completely!

I'm using a UK 625 and the 630 (purchased in France), the 625 has 8.1dp.

What the chap says, overall the 625 is the better phone and the camera is actually rather good.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the lighting issue at the top of my 630. I've seen similar issues on many phones in the past though - whats interesting is that some manufacturers have the issue at the bottom instead, where it seems less of an issue. (I've had a HTC 7 Trophy where this was the case, for example)

I find that it's not that noticeable with a black theme (and I'm very sensitive to display issues) - its only when there is a white background, such as on the web or composing an email.*

Odd really - had the lighting issue been at the bottom it wouldn't have mattered because of the formerly capacitive buttons being onscreen instead!

But come on, this is a hundred pound phone, not a ?5-?600 device like a iPhone 5S, Samsung S5 or Lumia 930/1520. You shouldn't expect perfection.

​*: by the way, if you have the accessibility features turned to be high contrast, the email composing window is white on black instead!

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure where you are in the world, depending on locale the 630 is around the same price as the 625. And understand the 630 is an upgrade to the 520 NOT the 620. You lose a lot if you're thinking this is an upgrade.

I have the screen issue you mention - this was picked up in France on Friday, ALL devices have that off warping. I guess it's the screen tech, as mentioned.

Don't get hung up on specs though. The screen is fantastic to use and the 625 is rather nice and the battery fantastic.

And I say this using the 1520 as the daily driver ( these are for testing).

I will recommend the 625 to anyone looking for an entry into wp!

Oh, someone asked if the screen turned on, in the pocket - I've had ALL my lumia phones (800, 900, 920, 620, 1020, 1520 and 625) TURN OFF!!!

They're all in cases now. It's a disconcerting feeling having a random vibration in your trouser pocket lol

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Agreed completely!

I'm using a UK 625 and the 630 (purchased in France), the 625 has 8.1dp.

What the chap says, overall the 625 is the better phone and the camera is actually rather good.

Thanks guys, for your answers!

I'm also tending for the 625 now, after all it has everything and more what the 630 has. Someone mentioned that the 625 also has this display problem? I couldn't see it in the shop when comparing side by side with the 630, maybe it is not that obvious. I will check it out again, but if I don't see it, then it does not exist :)

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm also tending for the 625 now, after all it has everything and more what the 630 has. Someone mentioned that the 625 also has this display problem? I couldn't see it in the shop when comparing side by side with the 630, maybe it is not that obvious. I will check it out again, but if I don't see it, then it does not exist :)

You'll see the same issue when the brightness is high and on a white background. It is certainly less noticeable than on the 630.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
while I don't have either phone, the processor on the 630 has more potential then the processor on the 625. 2 things that the 630 will be able to do over the 625 is miracast and utilize sensorcore for things like pedometers and gps tracking for running or whatnot. I would think about those potentials in addition to the camera/screen points mentioned here.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

I'nm using 625 retail and I don't see any display problem. In fact I love it :v

Well thanks to windows phone 8.x I never felt performance Gap using Wp 8 Phone. It run nice with 2 core + 512. I don't think 4 core really essential for wp. I would recomend 625 cause it has flash LTE and front camera

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'nm using 625 retail and I don't see any display problem. In fact I love it :v

Well thanks to windows phone 8.x I never felt performance Gap using Wp 8 Phone. It run nice with 2 core + 512. I don't think 4 core really essential for wp. I would recomend 625 cause it has flash LTE and front camera

I suppose the number of cores is not that important in day-to-day use. Mostly for people who like to brag "I have more cores than you" :evil:

One thing mentioned, does the 625 support "SensoreCore" (for Pedometer and Health App) ? I couldn't find anything from google. Seems to be mostly a software thing (WP8.1), but needs to be supported by hardware too, of course.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I suppose the number of cores is not that important in day-to-day use. Mostly for people who like to brag "I have more cores than you" :evil:

One thing mentioned, does the 625 support "SensoreCore" (for Pedometer and Health App) ? I couldn't find anything from google. Seems to be mostly a software thing (WP8.1), but needs to be supported by hardware too, of course.
It's MotionCore. It's a hardware sensor.

It's mainly used for fitness apps.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Aye, I can't see any sort of banding or colour distortion on my 625 either (tested with full brightness and looking at the white background on office).

And yes, the 625 won't have the sensorcore or miracast, those being due to the quad core processor and wireless chipset respectively.

That's no great lots for what you gain, over the 630 - and honestly, if you'll not use a fitness tracker or whatever, it's not really an issue.

I still maintain the 625 is the better bet, for the price et al.

Good luck with your purchase OP

Last edited:

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Aye, I can't see any sort of banding or colour distortion on my 625 either (tested with full brightness and looking at the white background on office).

And yes, the 625 won't have the sensorcore or miracast, those being due to the quad core processor and wireless chipset respectively.

That's no great lots for what you gain, over the 630 - and honestly, if you'll not use a fitness tracker or whatever, it's not really an issue.

I still maintain the 625 is the better bet, for the price et al.

Good luck with your purchase OP

I checked again several 630 and 625 in different shops. Result:

All 630 had the mentioned problem at the top of the screen. Visible, but maybe you get used to it after a while, because you see it only with bright backgrounds. It is not THAT bad finally.

All 625 I checked didn't have display problems. Bright and clear. I also liked the slightly rounded form of the body. And the bigger display is good for my aging eyes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss