Is Cortana going to suck?

skiahh

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I was traveling today and turned on location services when I got to Houston. I used GPS to get to and from my destination (~25-30 mins each way).

With location services on and the GPS usage, I went from about 85% battery to under 20 in just 4 hours. There were a few texts and emails in there, too, but no games or web surfing or anything else.

So, by extrapolation, using Cortana with location services, directions suggestions and what not, what kind of battery life can we expect on our phones with her going?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
she is still in beta (oh by the way windows phone 8.1 is still in preview , expect such horrible battery life specially when using GPS). You can disable cortana by going into phone settings though :wink:

skiahh

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I know you can disable her. But the thing is, she's getting such rave reviews, I don't want to!

But if she kills my phone, then one of the biggest features of 8.1 is, effectively, nullified.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I know you can disable her. But the thing is, she's getting such rave reviews, I don't want to!

But if she kills my phone, then one of the biggest features of 8.1 is, effectively, nullified.

hey relax , Microsoft is trying to improve her and windows phone 8.1. With the firmware update most of problems (including battery problems ) should be resolved .

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
that's because of cyan firmware on top of windows phone 8.1 (as you are a part of cyanation ) :smile:
I had three days before I set up Cortana to determine whether it sucks up a lot of battery, but the effect hasn't been obvious.

Heck, it might actually iimprove battery life!

Will check back on Battery Saver later on.

TelstarFlyer

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1020, using 8.1 developer. I am using Cortana extensivly, and without a doubt I can say that she does not use any more battery then what the phone already uses. Cortana does have a few automated features - reminding the traffic is picking up, and reminding you of alarms/requests you made that she wakes you, yet this still does not have an influence.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This has nothing to do with Cortana and everything to do with GPS. GPS on any device drains a lot of battery. It's not a Windows Phone specific thing, and it's definitely not a Cortana specific thing.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Cortana on my Icon and she's not even in my top ten apps that use the most power. But Here Drive sure used a bunch.

As Himanshu says, when the final 8.1 comes out with firmware updates and such, you'll see better battery life. Microsoft has been working hard at improving the battery life of its devices.

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
The only app which really drains my beautiful battery life is WhatsApp! Just go to battery sense and there you will realize for sure which app is draining your battery. I'm sure there's many of you guys talking without checking!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro