Con or Sheer stupidity?

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, they are totally stupid, they are soooo mean to the 1520.

I don't see your point. No one said everyone who has ever made a review of the L1520 made a stupid review.
The post was about those that call the size of the phone a con.
So I really don't see your point.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't see your point. No one said everyone who has ever made a review of the L1520 made a stupid review.
The post was about those that call the size of the phone a con.
So I really don't see your point.

My point is that they mention the Lumia 1520 being very big and very heavy, what can make it hard to handle. In addition, there's no phablet like function whatsoever that Windows Phone would take advantage of on such a big screen.

Those are things I personally want to know. Things that are important enough to be mentioned in a final verdict. It has nothing to do with stupidity.

You still have every right to disagree and think it's the perfect size for you, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Isn't the G3 counted as a phone and the 1520 counted as a phablet.

Who decides that?

Last edited:

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
My point is that they mention the Lumia 1520 being very big and very heavy, what can make it hard to handle. In addition, there's no phablet like function whatsoever that Windows Phone would take advantage of on such a big screen.

Those are things I personally want to know. Things that are important enough to be mentioned in a final verdict. It has nothing to do with stupidity.

You still have every right to disagree and think it's the perfect size for you, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Again you miss the point. This isnt a thread about the functionality of windows phone.

And I dont think "it is the perfect size for me". 5.1"-6.9" is the standard size given for phablets. How I or anyone feels doesnt change that. But I think its stupid to pick the size of 6" as the con for a phablet.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Again you miss the point. This isnt a thread about the functionality of windows phone.

And I dont think "it is the perfect size for me". 5.1"-6.9" is the standard size given for phablets. How I or anyone feels doesnt change that. But I think its stupid to pick the size of 6" as the con for a phablet.

Then the LG is a phablet too and the large size is mentioned in reviews.

I really don't see the point then, maybe mentioning an important characteristic is stupid. I still think the features are important, when a 6 inch phone doesn't offer any advantage over a 5 inch phone, except more screen size for movies and games. This makes the size and weight a disadvantage to most people.

I don't understand your point and trying to see this as being logical almost hurts, but alright.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is larger than competitors with the same screen size, and even larger than some competitors with slightly larger screens. So even within the phablet category there is something to say for it being too big...

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
All of the "Size" and "Weight" Con (a.k.a BS), is squarely based on an iPhone- center of the phone universe- comparison. And indeed, you are correct anyone who adds size as a Con, well that "Journalist" more than likely has not taken the time to find something really important to criticize. You know, like actual things that make the phone less useful. :amaze:

There's lots of folks that don't like larger phones... which is good... because there's is lots of sizes to choose from...even large iPhones that are about to show up.

I'm forever telling people that if you don't want a large phone... gee, don't buy one. The 6" is Not a Con... just like having a phone whose OS is Android Based is Not a Con... It's just a different choice....

Con's are things like... "it has a 3 hour battery life"... "it reboots every 3 seconds when I connect it to a bad wifi"... "it never takes non-fuzzy pictures"... "what?! I have to buy another non-standard cable to charge this thing". It's that crap that makes a phone... Less Useful!

Cheers,
~ScottGeek.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
All of the "Size" and "Weight" Con (a.k.a BS), is squarely based on an iPhone- center of the phone universe- comparison.

About the iPhone 5S.

CNET:

External design is identical to that of the iPhone 5, including a 4-inch screen that looks downright tiny next to Android competitors.

Trustredreviews:

4-inch screen too small for some

Techradar:

No screen tech change
(They mention in the text that this includes size)

Engadget only has it in the text:

For anyone who needs copious amounts of screen space, a 4-inch display likely won't cut it

But they refer to it with this:

Last year's design

I really don't see the problem you guys have. I really don't.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
About the iPhone 5S.

CNET:

Trustredreviews:

Techradar:

(They mention in the text that this includes size)

Engadget only has it in the text:

But they refer to it with this:

I really don't see the problem you guys have. I really don't.

IMHO, I believe the point to be is that Size is a subjective measure that depends on what the individual likes or dislikes... It is not a negative that a phone has a large size... ergo, How can it be a "Con" if we assume that "Con" is the lists of the negatives about a device.

Now, if indeed you want to split all of the hairs and review a phone from the perspective of screen/picture quality... then one might review devices based on this measure and talk about the picture/video experience and ask questions like "Is watching a NetFlix(TM) stream on a smaller screen with a higher pixel ratio better experience than on a larger device with less pixel quality?" - That kind of question gives one an idea if putting a remark in the Con column tells something about the device... The "this sucks because it's 6".... and I [the reviewer] don't like that" tells one that the "reviewer" does not like large phones.... I would say there's a bit of difference there. :amaze:

The Lumia 1520 is in a whole different category than the 5S... and there are lots of people love that small screen. People who review phones and put negative comments about how small this is compared to how large that one is... yeah, it's the same pointless comparison from the other side. It's still not a "Con"....

~ScottGeek.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, I believe the point to be is that Size is a subjective measure that depends on what the individual likes or dislikes... It is not a negative that a phone has a large size... ergo, How can it be a "Con" if we assume that "Con" is the lists of the negatives about a device.

Now, if indeed you want to split all of the hairs and review a phone from the perspective of screen/picture quality... then one might review devices based on this measure and talk about the picture/video experience and ask questions like "Is watching a NetFlix(TM) stream on a smaller screen with a higher pixel ratio better experience than on a larger device with less pixel quality?" - That kind of question gives one an idea if putting a remark in the Con column tells something about the device... The "this sucks because it's 6".... and I [the reviewer] don't like that" tells one that the "reviewer" does not like large phones.... I would say there's a bit of difference there. :amaze:

The Lumia 1520 is in a whole different category than the 5S... and there are lots of people love that small screen. People who review phones and put negative comments about how small this is compared to how large that one is... yeah, it's the same pointless comparison from the other side. It's still not a "Con"....

~ScottGeek.

Nice, we just forgot about the iPhone-universe remark. Fair enough.

I know what you mean, I understand that the big or small size doesn't have to be a disadvantage for certain users. But when something differs that much from the norm without giving an advantage, it should be mentioned.

The only advantage the small iPhone screen size has over bigger screens is that the phone fits better in a pocket, there are however many downsides. The only advantage the 1520's screen size has over smaller screens is that browsing, movie watching and gaming might be more enjoyable, it doesn't go deeper than that, there's no real advantage. This has also to do with OS limitations of course. There are however many downsides. The phone is hard to fit in a pocket, it's heavy, it's uncomfortable to hold, it's not usable with one hand.

You might disagree, you might think these downsides are no downsides for you, there are still downsides for most people and should be mentioned.

Saying that this is "stupidity" is simplistic and disrespectful. Actually, it's just what a ****** would say that feels hurt in his feelings.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
The con here is not the size of the screen. The con is the fact that there is really no other option available on AT&T unless you want to go with an outdated phone with lower specs. The large screen does have its advantages when browsing the web and using things such as remote desktop. It also has its disadvantages as being too wide to hold with 1 hand, too large for some pockets, can be too large to wear on your arm if you ever use an armband for running, and for women will not fit in most purses that have a pocket designed to hold phones, etc.

You just have to evaluate and see what is more important to you. I have a 1520 and like it very much and it even fits in most of my front pockets. Still, it's a bit bulky to carry around especially when doing summer activities outside, etc. If the 930 or Icon was available with AT&T, I probably would have chosen that instead although in reality I think somewhere in between 5 and 5.5 inch screen would be more perfect.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
On a phablet the size of the screen isn't a con. Granted though, that the 1520 is big. Very big. There's too much bezel going on, which makes it too big for many pockets. Hell, most Windows Phones are too big for what they are. Only the 925 makes the cut, other than that, they're all too thick, too wide or both. Beautiful, yes, but bulky too.

The problem with all this screen size debate is that big screen phones (mostly high-ends) are good for some people, but others, who like smaller screens on high-end specs are left in the dark. Even the "mini" versions are starting to come out with 4.5'' screens (HTC One m8 mini). I, for one, simply refuse to use a phone with two hands. I've even considered leaving WP one or two times simply because, while I have a phone with a decent screen size and specs (Lumia 820), I don't have a 4x3 keyboard with t9 so I could type with just one hand. I always end up grabbing the phone with my two hands and that never was practical for me when I'm walking. That being said with a phone the size of the 1520, even the big screen fans can say it's too big. But it's not the screen's fault in this case.

Stavrosd2006

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
it all comes down to personal needs for final decision.yes it is bigger than others,(btw I was a user of an sgs3 my biggest phone till 1520)
but when you get a grip on it you will forget its size. only downsize for me it is in summer, less clothes less pockets.still, I do not regret my purchase.
I will never go back to lagdroid either. The os is getting better and better.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Both.

It depends on how you look at it. If I'm on AT&T and I want a Nokia device, I'm going to weigh the positives (pros) and negatives (cons) of each device based on my usecase. The 6" screen is too big for me, so it's a con.

If you want to specifically talk to the reviews, IMO its a poor review if they point to sheer screen size as a con. It's a preference of the buyer, and the screen's sheer size is irrelevant.

Viracocha

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The con is more of the phone being that size without an active stylus. As a happy Lumia 920 owner, even I'm somewhat jealous of Note 3 owners with their active stylus and fancy stylus holder built into the phone. Hopefully, their will be a WP competitor soon and it'll be using wacom and not n-trig.

Mike-J-G

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Note. It was a bit bulky so when I switched to Windows Phone I was looking forward to having a smaller phone again, the 925. Six months later I found I was never using my phone. It was just too small to comfortably consume content. I got a 1520 a couple weeks ago and have been very happy with the size. I often use it instead of my notebook which I never did with past phones, not even the Note. It's big enough to be as useful as a small tablet which is a huge pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo