Con or Sheer stupidity?

msalmank

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't consider it a con in case of the Lumia 1520, nor in any other Phablet out there really. It all comes down to features and specifications that the device offers mainly, and then pretty much a matter of personal preference.

For me, I decided on the Lumia 1520 as my next device after the Lumia 920 because of the higher resolution and more powerful camera along with SD card support and 2 GB RAM. I could have just as easily gone for the Lumia 1020 with its superior camera and similar specs as the 1520, albeit the smaller resolution, and it would have cost me Rs. 10,000 (approx $100) less to have done so. But for me, the size of the 1520 though a bit large at first, is just perfect at being the right amount of large. I love the display and the screen size (despite some trouble with one-handed use - yippee for voice commands though!)

In short, size does matter but to some extent. I probably would never go for a smaller screen size on a phone in the future as I love the extra real estate (resolution is extremely important - it wouldn't serve much purpose had the Lumia 1520 had the same resolution as, say, the Lumia 920 device). But that's just my preference... From what I've seen, I put performance and specifications high on my list... if the device offers a better set of features and overall experience, no matter what the screen size, I get used to it.

I've used devices such as the iPhone (first gen), Xperia X1, HTC Mozart, HTC One, BlackBerry Bold Touch, Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, BlackBerry Z10 Lumia 920 and more... And each time, screen size has played close to none, if any at all, significance in my decision.

Though I have to admit, considering how much I'm enjoying the Lumia 1520... I might change my opinion soon! ;)

Cheers!
Salman Khalid

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
It can only be a "pro" or "con" for any individual user. I, for one, would never buy a phone that size. But if someone else wants a phone that big, have at it. It good to have options.

kwickone

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Not Sheer stupidity. Many like the size. Definitely a CON for some, including me. For me, the current screen size of the 925 is as big as I want to get. And the thinner and sleeker the better!

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Nice, we just forgot about the iPhone-universe remark. Fair enough.

I know what you mean, I understand that the big or small size doesn't have to be a disadvantage for certain users. But when something differs that much from the norm without giving an advantage, it should be mentioned.

Indeed yes....

The "norm".... now we're touching at the heart of the problem... Whose "norm"? Does one define this by the shear numbers of who owns a certain type of device? If that's the case, then in the US I gather the "norm" is iPhone? :amaze:

My my how small the Universe just got.... (yeap, every pun intended :eek:rly:)

Everywhere else on the planet, iPhone not the "norm".... I suspect this might be why the rumored 6S is.... yeap, larger?

Maybe the better word for this is what's "common".... Hey, that makes the 1520 un-"common" and special? :excited: -Sorry I couldn't resist...

Saying that this is "stupidity" is simplistic and disrespectful. Actually, it's just what a ****** would say that feels hurt in his feelings.

Well, I tend not to call out the ****** or say someone is being disrespectful unless they specifically point their words at someone. But calling into question what "reviewers" put on the "con" list.... and of course this whole idea that what is "norm" to you... must be by definition the "norm" for me? Well, you get the point...

Yeap, I have the 1520 and a Note II and Note III, so it's obvious where I land on the question of size.... believe it or not... something like a Note 8... that can come in a phone version that's 8"... is too big :sweaty: My Note 8 comes out when I want a small tablet to read with not to place a phone call or have a mobile computing device.

It's good to have a difference of opinion....this creates choice.

Cheers,
~ScottGeek.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the op....

Yes..it is stupid to say 6" phablets are too big..they are supposed to be....they are a frigging phablet...

They aren't a small phone that easily fits into tiny hands or skin tight jeans...

They are big...Thank God....for the countless morons who lament over this fact...I have some advice..

Get a grip..Get a life..and Get the heck over it..buy a smaller phone you like and can do what you want it to.

No one that owns one and likes it gives a ratts **** what those small handed,small minded,people with screen envy think...

The_Greys

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
If you don't like it's stupid, but then I don't like this question. Sooooo it's a stupid thread. I bought my 1520.3 two weeks ago and I love it.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
For some can be a con but I suspect many have never seen one in real or never carried one around. For me size was top requirement. I wouldn't have bought the phone had it been smaller. I carry it in my back pocket and never felt size was a con. The stupidity lies in the fact too many may be speaking without having never carried one. I never bought a WP before because OS was too immature for real work and because all screens were too small for my needs. The only WP I would EVER buy for me is 5.5 inches to 6". Anything smaller or bigger is a no-go

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
For some can be a con but I suspect many have never seen one in real or never carried one around. For me size was top requirement. I wouldn't have bought the phone had it been smaller. I carry it in my back pocket and never felt size was a con. The stupidity lies in the fact too many may be speaking without having never carried one. I never bought a WP before because OS was too immature for real work and because all screens were too small for my needs. The only WP I would EVER buy for me is 5.5 inches to 6". Anything smaller or bigger is a no-go

By what you're saying I'm going to assume that you're inferring that everyone should or must have a phone the size of the 1520 or even like something like it. And if they don't like it precisely because it's big, they're stupid. A phablet may be a phablet, but it's still nothing more than a smartphone. The phablet connotation is but a nickname of sorts for XXL smartphones and not everyone has to like them. I sure as hell don't because I simply don't like big SMARTPHONES., period. If you like them, power to you, but don't you dare accusing me of stupidity for not liking them.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
By what you're saying I'm going to assume that you're inferring that everyone should or must have a phone the size of the 1520 or even like something like it. And if they don't like it precisely because it's big, they're stupid. A phablet may be a phablet, but it's still nothing more than a smartphone. The phablet connotation is but a nickname of sorts for XXL smartphones and not everyone has to like them. I sure as hell don't because I simply don't like big SMARTPHONES., period. If you like them, power to you, but don't you dare accusing me of stupidity for not liking them.

Would you also call the size of tablets a con?

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Its nota con or stupidity. Nokia was trying to get a device into that size category for competitive reasons. Its too big for my fancy, but I wouldn't not recommend it because of the size.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I think other than stating the size/dimensions of a phone, size shouldn't be called a pro or con. I think reviews are mainly meant to give information to people who might be interested in buying the device being reviewed. Stating that a phone's size is too big is a matter of opinion that should be decided by the reader - although I'm not saying just because the review says it's too big the reader will think it's too big.

When I held my 1520 for the first time in the at&t store I was overwhelmed by how big it felt and thought it seemed way smaller from pictures on the interwebs - but after probably less than 10 minutes of using it I got used to the size and think it's perfect for me. Now when I compare using it to my first phone, the 900, the 900 feels hilariously small. But another person who's used any iPhone for a relatively long time might not feel the same way.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
What does that have to do with anything? Tablets have a specific usage and smartphones have another one. We're talking about a specific smartphone.

Yeah that is the point. Tablet are for a specified usage. And that gives the size.
Phablets are also for a specified usage and they are given a standard size of 5.2"-6.9"
Phablets are for people who want something bigger than the average smart phone but not too much of a load like a tablet.
For example, I like reading books and editing word documents on the go. The average smartphone wont do, and I dont want the bulkiness of a tablet. So pick a phablet.

If the Lumia1520 was any smaller, I would be considering the note 3 instead. And there are a lot of people who picked the L1520 for its size.

6" is within the standard given size of a phablet. So it cant be considered a con.
If you say you dont like phablets, i would understand and wouldnt argue with you.

But for a phablet, 6" is a standard(or "within a standard" to be more specific).

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Tablets have a specific usage and smartphones have another one.

I barely ever use my 1520 as a phone - I hardly ever call people and I occasionally send text messages, but there's services similar to texting that can be done on any tablet so I guess that doesn't really count. My 1520 is, whether I like it or not, becoming a replacement for my Surface Pro except in terms of PhotoShop, Office, and AutoDesk Inventor. I even saw an article (http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/can-lumia-1520-replace-tablet) a while ago about how smartphones are starting to replace tablets and tablets replacing laptops. (that linked article's actually not the one but pretty similar)

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that is the point. Tablet are for a specified usage. And that gives the size.
Phablets are also for a specified usage and they are given a standard size of 5.2"-6.9"
Phablets are for people who want something bigger than the average smart phone but not too much of a load like a tablet.
For example, I like reading books and editing word documents on the go. The average smartphone wont do, and I dont want the bulkiness of a tablet. So pick a phablet.

If the Lumia1520 was any smaller, I would be considering the note 3 instead. And there are a lot of people who picked the L1520 for its size.

6" is within the standard given size of a phablet. So it cant be considered a con.
If you say you dont like phablets, i would understand and wouldnt argue with you.

But for a phablet, 6" is a standard(or "within a standard" to be more specific).

Phablets don't have a specific usage. What you can do in a phablet, you can do in a smaller phone. Yes, there are different types of people and some will find using a smaller screen cumbersome. Others don't have problems with smaller screens, they have problems with poorly adapted content (apps and websites, mainly) which is why the need for bigger screens arose. But there's not a single thing you can do in a phablet that you can't in a smaller phone. And if it's not unique, than it's not specific. Hence me saying that "phablet" is a plain moniker for bigger phones.

That being said, the 1520, the Note and the likes, what have you, are, all in all, plain smartphones with nothing more than bigger screens. So, for me who doesn't like screens above 4,3'' on a smartphone (even though I enjoy high-specs), anything bigger than that is a con.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
But there's not a single thing you can do in a phablet that you can't in a smaller phone.

What can you do on a tablet and cant do on a phablet or smaller phones.

"phablet" is a plain moniker for bigger phones.

You have admitted that tablets are meant to be bigger phones. Hence the size 6".
Not a con, just another standard.

Do you also consider the size of L920(and other windows devices) to be a con? As they are too small for some users.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
What can you do on a tablet and cant do on a phablet or smaller phones.

Real multitasking for one. Not the gimmicky stuff found on phones.

You have admitted that tablets are meant to be bigger phones. Hence the size 6".
Not a con, just another standard.

Read properly. Nowhere did I say that.

Do you also consider the size of L920(and other windows devices) to be a con? As they are too small for some users.

Yes. But I don't like anything larger than 4.3''. Still, even if the 920 had and acceptable screen size for me, it's way too bulky.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Indeed yes....

The "norm".... now we're touching at the heart of the problem... Whose "norm"? Does one define this by the shear numbers of who owns a certain type of device? If that's the case, then in the US I gather the "norm" is iPhone? :amaze:

My my how small the Universe just got.... (yeap, every pun intended :eek:rly:)

Everywhere else on the planet, iPhone not the "norm".... I suspect this might be why the rumored 6S is.... yeap, larger?

Maybe the better word for this is what's "common".... Hey, that makes the 1520 un-"common" and special? :excited: -Sorry I couldn't resist...

Well, I tend not to call out the ****** or say someone is being disrespectful unless they specifically point their words at someone. But calling into question what "reviewers" put on the "con" list.... and of course this whole idea that what is "norm" to you... must be by definition the "norm" for me? Well, you get the point...

Yeap, I have the 1520 and a Note II and Note III, so it's obvious where I land on the question of size.... believe it or not... something like a Note 8... that can come in a phone version that's 8"... is too big :sweaty: My Note 8 comes out when I want a small tablet to read with not to place a phone call or have a mobile computing device.

It's good to have a difference of opinion....this creates choice.

Cheers,
~ScottGeek.

You don't get the point that there always needs to be a norm to judge a product. There needs to be a reference. You could make this argument with everything. Everything is a trade off. Bad build quality to keep the cost down, small battery to keep the profile thin, no front facing camera for a budget phone. An interface not to a reviewers taste could be just that, bad taste.

No front facing camera wouldn't be a con for me, I never use it on my WP. It's still listed as a con in all the reviews. Should I say that's stupidity too?

And then there is the fact that a review never can be entirely objective. It's just impossible.

I didn't get the first part of your post at all. You contradict yourself and you are random. The iPhone 5S was criticized for being very small, the 1520 was criticized for being very big. Both come with disadvantages due to their size and as they are not in the current norm, this gets mentioned.

Your second part is also hard to understand. And it has nothing to do with what I said. Choice is good, disagreeing with reviewers is also good, buying the product you like again is good. Calling every reviewer on the internet stupid because you disagree is not good.

That's one for every situation in life: if you think everybody else is wrong with no exception, it might be at the time to reevaluate your point of view.

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
The only reason why I'm even considering it over the Icon or 930 isn't because I like the size, but because everything else about it is so good. From the quality of the screen to the great camera to the large battery to the microSD slot, you're getting a lot for surprisingly little money (sub $500 for an phone this good is a steal). The Icon is a better size and is more practical (I really don't need a phablet) but it's a feature packed device and that's what I think makes it worth considering, not whether or not you want /need a big screen (although that is something that should be considered, just not the primary concern).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa