Con or Sheer stupidity?

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I have been looking at a couple of reviews about this device (the L1520). Almost everyone seems to accept this is a great device (maybe except the Lagdroid fanboys), but there is this one particular "con" that always seem to come up.

"This device is toooooo biiiiiiiig"

Okay, yes, at 6" this is a big phone, but isn't that the whole point of phablet? I think its like complaining tablets are too big. The point of a phablet is to be from about 5'2 - 6'5 so I dont get why people keeps calling this a con.

I think this phone was designed for people (like myself) who fancy the bigger screens and someone who only considers smaller screens shouldn't even look at this phone talk less of reviewing its size factor.

This phone being too big to me isnt a con. Thats the point of nokia making different size variations with the same spec.
Its just what it is. This phone being to big is as much a con as any other 5inch phone being too small.

What do you think?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Agree stupidity. The reviews I have heard from people that have owned other phablets say that it doesn't feel as big as it really is in the hand due to the sides. If you like such a device, get it its supposed to be great. But if you are buying outright get the newer version that has qi built in, its well worth it.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's sheer stupidity to prefer smaller phones. I, fir one, prefer 4.5 inch screens over all others. Everyone has their own preferences, so respect that. Don't call other people's likes stupid and try to push your views on them.

If you don't like their view, shrug and move on.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying its sheer stupidity to like smaller phones. I actually prefer a phone that fits comfortably in my pocket. What I think is stupidity is people reviewing a device designed for the phablet fans and complaining it is too big. It is the size it should be for those it was designed for. Now if they thought it was too big for a phablet ok. But otherwise it is judged out of context. I will never by such a device, but for those who want a phablet I would think it is the perfect size.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, its pretty unfair to knock it for that. I mean, if it were abnormally thick or had a huge bezel and didn't fit in pockets, I could see that being a con. The 1520 fits in all my pockets fairly easily. I do hold my pocket when I get in and out of my car though... Lol

By that logic, every iPhone review should have had a con for its small size. Although, I'm sure some reviewers did. :D

I really don't pay attention to that stuff in reviews, unless its a serious flaw. I don't need or want a "reviewer" telling me a phone is too big or too small or the color of the screen is poor cause he prefers over saturated screen, etc... I actually find reviews less and less helpful. Camera comparisons are laughable. Some pictures clearly aren't even in focus... Nice comparison.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's sheer stupidity to prefer smaller phones. I, fir one, prefer 4.5 inch screens over all others. Everyone has their own preferences, so respect that. Don't call other people's likes stupid and try to push your views on them.

If you don't like their view, shrug and move on.

You have totally missed the point. It isnt stupidity to prefer smaller phones.
But the stupidity is criticizing a phablet for being big. Phablets are meant to be big.
And it makes no sense calling that a CON.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You have totally missed the point. It isnt stupidity to prefer smaller phones.
But the stupidity is criticizing a phablet for being big. Phablets are meant to be big.
And it makes no sense calling that a CON.

Yes it is ridiculous, it is like saying my McLaren P1 is too quick.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna say nonsensical - it's a given, it's a phablet, thus it's big. Too big is relative & in the eyes of the beholder.

As stated before, it was only BIG for about a week, now everything else is just so damn small !

Good point raised by the OP.

subcon959

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the size is perfect. Surely, people do some research first before buying so basic things like the size shouldn't come as a surprise in the first place?

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
seriously why bother about others opinion especially about ur phone..i have a 1520 ..i never ask anyone what they think of it..if some one says "its too big" "or not worth the money" i just smile and shrug it off...only u know what u want from ur phone..
for me it was one that should take a tablet role too..have a great camera..battery life..big screen...
diff people have diff needs..doesnt make sense to convince others about why u got the phone..just my opinion.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Totally you using it, it only matters if you think its too big, I feel my 1020 is a little on the big side but was willing to compromise for the great camera, others may feel different but my opinion of my phone is what matters.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
seriously why bother about others opinion especially about ur phone..i have a 1520 ..i never ask anyone what they think of it..if some one says "its too big" "or not worth the money" i just smile and shrug it off...only u know what u want from ur phone..
for me it was one that should take a tablet role too..have a great camera..battery life..big screen...
diff people have diff needs..doesnt make sense to convince others about why u got the phone..just my opinion.

I think the op is more complaining that people testing the phone say it's too big, like they are judging it against other phones and not pablet like they should.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Sheer stupidity.

Please be kind enough to coherently elaborate and explain why you think its sheer stupidity. Samsung's Note series has sold a lot of phablets and made a ton of money for Samsung. Sammy is laughing all the way to the bank. The s5 is up to 5.1 inch screen size and the size difference between it or the note 3 is not very substantial. So I for one and I suspect other on this site would like you to put some meat on the bone of sheer stupidity. Awaiting your reply.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
In other news, the iPhone 5S has been slammed by critics for being too small compared to phones like the 1520.

Yes it has rightly or wrongly. I don't like the size of the iPhones myself but that's my opinion. I was perfectly content (well more or less content) with my 920 but the main board went bonkers and without calendar or email and as a lawyer that's unacceptable. So I got the 1520 for 99.99 from ATT because I needed it the day my 920 blew up not in a couple of days. My screen is the size of the 920 and I don't thinks its too big. Its just about right and its nicely balanced.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Please be kind enough to coherently elaborate and explain why you think its sheer stupidity. Samsung's Note series has sold a lot of phablets and made a ton of money for Samsung. Sammy is laughing all the way to the bank. The s5 is up to 5.1 inch screen size and the size difference between it or the note 3 is not very substantial. So I for one and I suspect other on this site would like you to put some meat on the bone of sheer stupidity. Awaiting your reply.

To be fair the op ask others if it was 'sheer stupidity or a con' and troylytle was giving his opinion that he thought it was sheer stupidity.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My "opinion" was that it is a matter of opinion. How can anything meant to be big be criticized for doing its job? So, I said sheer stupidity because if you think a phone that is supposed to be 6 inches is too big at 6 inches, you are stupid. I'm not insulting anyone. It's just common sense.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, let's see.

The Verge:

Windows Phone doesn?t take advantage of the big screen

Trusted Reviews:

Heavy and cumbersome to use

Cnet:

Its size makes one-handed operation difficult, and call quality was muddier than on most Nokia phones.

techradar:

Arguably too big

Engadget:

Can be uncomfortable to hold | 6-inch display may be too big for some

And this next to very good ratings of all of them. I don't see the stupidity here. But that might be me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte