1st Windows phone

Projectphill

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered a 1520 and completely new to the whole windows phone OS what should I expect coming from Using pure Android and Ios7 any tips recommendations on what to do on the initial boot up of the phone

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just choose the recommended settings (or if you want you may opt for custom while setting up the phone which includes date/time ) , type in your Wi-Fi password and let windows phone install some apps before you get your hands on your beautiful start screen :)
Btw which colour did you opted ?

Projectphill

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I went for the black as it was the only one with the 32GB option with At&t I also picked up a Lumia 2520 tablet for work projects and leisure time IM really excited they get delivered today

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I went for the black as it was the only one with the 32GB option with At&t I also picked up a Lumia 2520 tablet for work projects and leisure time IM really excited they get delivered today

Woo lumia 2520 is the best windows 8 tablet one can get. It's solid , robust and display is just phenomenal.

canonuevo

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the Windows Phone community! I would install WP8.1 preview right away. The 2520 is awesome. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
For the 2520 do you recommend the power keyboard or is any bluetooth keyboard fine

If you are just using the 2520 at home then a Bluetooth keyboard but you will also need some way of holding the 2520 up, the keyboard case does both and adds battery and full size USB as well. I had one with the keyboard case and found that they worked great together but then I got the Surface and never used the Nokia so I sold it because I find the Surface so much better.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the Windows Phone community! I would install WP8.1 preview right away. The 2520 is awesome. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

With all due respect ...

As I've advised someone else on this forum, shake your phone out for a week or so - BEFORE installing WinPhone 8.1 Dev Preview. This will allow you to become familiar with the hardware, before venturing into unsupported software (basically Final Beta OS w/o the essential firmware device upgrades). There are many threads on this forum with users having issues with WinPhone 8.1, which may ultimately prove out to be hardware issues.

After you've become familiar with Windows Phone OS (& your device) install the Dev Preview WinPhone 8.1. Understand, the firmware update is about a month (or more) away. The features of 8.1 have me anxiously awaiting the official update w the firmware included. I have the option to go back (NSU), but am staying on 8.1.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I hear 8.1 is dropping on the 24th of June if that is the case I will wait and it will give me time to adjust to the OS.

That's VERY optimistic, expect it in July, sometime. It will depend on where you get it from. If a carrier phone, the carriers release, when the carriers release. (sometimes takes an interminable amount of time).

If an unlocked phone, depends upon region of the world (version of phone).

My phone is carrier unlocked, but was once an AT&T phone, thus, I wait (unless I can find it elsewhere).

Projectphill

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I've had time with the phone a couple of hours, so far the camera is a big step up really like it. I got a 25 dollar voucher from Nokia for the app store so I'll be looking at what apps to get. I like the size of the phone , keyboard Reminds me of the early days of android but very accurate. My only two complaints at the moment are I don't see any speech to text and the notifications be better

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... My only two complaints at the moment are I don't see any speech to text and the notifications be better

Speech to text (accurately) comes w Cortana w WinPhone 8.1, though there are apps for that. Press your Windows button (middle), if you're on WinPhone 8.0, I believe this is a rudimentary version. Say 'text Harry (or Joe, Samantha, someone from your contacts)' with a message. Cortana does it better.

Notifications are also a feature of WinPhone 8.1.

Get yourself a good sdCard (class 10 or above) for auxiliary storage (pictures, songs, videos, offline maps, apps in WP 8.1, etc.). It'll support up to 128GB, currently.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

If you want you can send it back and get the 16gb version to save a few dollars. The 1520 can hold an SD card with up to 128gb. It runs apps and music off of the SD card just as good SSD built in storage.

It took a while for me to really understand WP coming from iPhone but one thing I can say is I think WP is better but it's an extreme departure to what I was used to.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
That's VERY optimistic, expect it in July, sometime. It will depend on where you get it from. If a carrier phone, the carriers release, when the carriers release. (sometimes takes an interminable amount of time).

If an unlocked phone, depends upon region of the world (version of phone).

My phone is carrier unlocked, but was once an AT&T phone, thus, I wait (unless I can find it elsewhere).
24th June is the release date from Microsoft. But yes at&t could keep it hostage.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Windows ecosystem!

There's an app "Transfer my Data" in the Windows Phone store that'll copy all your contacts etc from your previous phone to your Windows Phone.

If you are just using the 2520 at home then a Bluetooth keyboard but you will also need some way of holding the 2520 up, the keyboard case does both and adds battery and full size USB as well. I had one with the keyboard case and found that they worked great together but then I got the Surface and never used the Nokia so I sold it because I find the Surface so much better.

I have the Surface 2 as well... Basically the same thing as the Nokia tablet. Both run Windows RT which I happen to love!

Let us know if you have any questions about RT or your new phone.. but most of all congrats and have fun!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)