Okay, talk me into ditching my Lumia Icon for this 1520.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you've heard the news, but us Lumia Icon guys have been fighting crazy *** issues where our power button has 2-8 seconds of delay when we're on WiFi, as well as overheating/battery drain issues that seem to be mostly ignored... also starting to feel the pain of having no LTE/MMS as I'm using the Verizon Icon on AT&T... and outside of that, I refuse to acknowledge the Icon as a flagship since it can't even utilize the best features of WP8.1 (Storage Sense).

...I'm absolutely in love with this device's form factor though. Visually, it's the best damn looking Windows Phone I've ever owned, it looks absolutely amazing next to the Surface 2/Surface Pro 3, and it performs like a champion... but seeing as my mythical "Lumia Icon with an SD card slot" doesn't even seem like it's been conceived, I'm thinking about giving this elephantine monster a shot. I've demoed it, and even had some time to see how ideal it feels in the pocket.

The 1520 is damn huge... but I'm getting to a point where I may actually overlook that.

So I ask of you, WPCentral peoples... talk me into it... talk me into ditching the #3 best for the #1 benchmarking phone in the world.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 is better in every sense compared to the icon. The size may seem over whelming but you get used to it very fast. Eventually every other phone seems too small.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if you've heard the news, but us Lumia Icon guys have been fighting crazy *** issues where our power button has 2-8 seconds of delay when we're on WiFi, as well as overheating/battery drain issues that seem to be mostly ignored... also starting to feel the pain of having no LTE/MMS as I'm using the Verizon Icon on AT&T... and outside of that, I refuse to acknowledge the Icon as a flagship since it can't even utilize the best features of WP8.1 (Storage Sense).

...I'm absolutely in love with this device's form factor though. Visually, it's the best damn looking Windows Phone I've ever owned, it looks absolutely amazing next to the Surface 2/Surface Pro 3, and it performs like a champion... but seeing as my mythical "Lumia Icon with an SD card slot" doesn't even seem like it's been conceived, I'm thinking about giving this elephantine monster a shot. I've demoed it, and even had some time to see how ideal it feels in the pocket.

The 1520 is damn huge... but I'm getting to a point where I may actually overlook that.

So I ask of you, WPCentral peoples... talk me into it... talk me into ditching the #3 best for the #1 benchmarking phone in the world.

Can the 1520 work on Verizon's network? Or are you just leaving Verizon all together and getting a Lumia 1520? If there's some way to get the 1520 to work on Verizon then I too would be happy to switch from my Icon, primarily for the SD card slot and the superior battery.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's worth it for LTE and the battery life, IMO. I've used a Verizon Phone on AT&T before and it gets old dealing with the slower data speeds. I'll switch carriers before I deal with Edge speeds again.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Can the 1520 work on Verizon's network? Or are you just leaving Verizon all together and getting a Lumia 1520? If there's some way to get the 1520 to work on Verizon then I too would be happy to switch from my Icon, primarily for the SD card slot and the superior battery.
I'm actually not on Verizon. But Lumia icon is one of many Verizon phones you can put an AT&T SIM card in, and that's what I've been doing. In my area, Verizon is quite terrible and AT&T is a lot better here.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Be warned if you're leaving the Icon due to possible hardware issues. The L1520 has had some serious defective issues since it launched.

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I originally did the same thing (bought the Icon) then switch to the 1520.3 since MMS wasn't working.

SD card/battery life/glance are very nice compared to what I remember the icon getting.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
What is the issue?

The 1520 tends to not recognize scrolling gestures at times. The screen sensitivity makes it recognize a finger's input so fast it only perceives it as a tap instead of the full scroll. What then happens is you end up tapping and accidentally entering, selecting, activating etc instead of scrolling. It's something you get used to and it's annoying but it's not really too bad. My phone does it but not nearly as much since these last updates.

txdotjim

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
At this point, with the screen sensitivity issues on the 1520 I would say stay where you're at.

I've had the 1520 since January. I am running 8.1 and don't have any issues. When I ran 8.0, I did have the occasional screen issue. No more.
I also have a 920 and it just seems too small now. One handed operation is a chore with the 6"screen, but I could never go back to a little screen.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
As I've said before, the Lumia 1520 was big for about a week. After that everything else seems small (my old Lumia 920). If size is the only issue, Fuggedaboutit, get the Lumia 1520. Just get ready with all the big jokes / retorts - it draws a lot of attention. :cool:

For the xtras you get with a Lumia 1520 (glance, sdCard slot, bigger battery, bigger display, etc) I'd be on a Lumia 1520 (I am). I loaded Dev Preview 8.1 the day it came out. There have been issues, but not enough to make me go back. The Icon is a nice device, but the 1520 is comparatively not that much bigger. I got a new case, slip it into my pocket (or holster it sometimes, new case fits in my old holster, raises the screen & camera lens off a hard surface) and away I go.

Remember, no perfect phone, just perfect for you (your use case) ! :cool::smile::excited::cool:

upnort

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Use what is perfect for you. I was using a Galaxy Note 2 (gasp) before. It was great for the job I was doing at the time. Loved the large screen but I was mostly desk bound at the time. Started doing more work in the field and the size became a liability. Bought and played with an 822 to sample WP. It was a bit too small so I went with an Icon. It is the right size for me. I do miss having an SD card slot and the battery endurance was cut in half but for me benefits outweighed the negatives. FWIW, if I need to go to a job site or somewhere a bit remote the 822 is perfect. Just swap SIM cards using an adapter of course.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I bought the 1520 a week ago because the 920 developed calendar and email issues probably the main board and the 1520 was available same day for 99.99 its a no brainer the first couple of days some battery issues but I think more related to my case. That's settled down and anyway I have chargers at the office and at the house and in the car so battery levels are really no issue unless the device overheats and melts which I don't see happening. That's said if you can wait, just wait on the McLaren or see what HTC does with an 8.,1 version of the One(M8). I'm also intrigued with the :LG G 8.1 the LG uni8 The renders look really nice and it could be a great device as well.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Are you ******* out of your mind? It's a no brainer to switch to EXACT same device just 1 inch bigger

Just wait for 930

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel