Getting my 1520 tonight and installing 8.1

littlejay

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been needing a new phone for a while. The Black update gimped my 920 battery something awful and it drains at odd intervals. Some days I can get home at 40% and others I am at 40% before lunch time. This is with little use.

I plan to do the initial setup and then fully charge my phone. Once charged, start doing updates with wifi only turned on. Are there any other tips of updating the phone the safest way possible? I feel pretty sure my 920 battery was killed by updating it while on the charger. I didn't read until after that happened that updating while charged is a no-no.

I plan on getting this case:
Amazon.com: JKase DIABLO Tough Rugged Dual Layer Protection Case Cover with Build in Stand for Nokia Lumia 1520 (Yellow): Computers & Accessories

I hear this is a good screen protector but never needed on on my 920:
http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-Mil...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2595106

I wear cargo pants all the time and plan on the phone tagging along in my pocket.

I plan on sticking with this phone for a while, so all helpful tips to get me on a good start would be appreciated :D

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest using the phone for a week or so just to check if it is working okay and there is nothing wrong with it.

If you don't want to wait then.

If it is then I would advise that you set it up and download just two apps, Lumia system updater and the preview for developers apps. Update your system apps only and don't add any of your own apps. Then update to 8.1 and do a hard reset and again download the two apps above and update your system apps again.

Then enjoy your phone but bare in mind that if your phone is new it will take a while for the battery to be optimized plus 8.1 will probably not help either for the first couple of days.

littlejay

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest using the phone for a week or so just to check if it is working okay and there is nothing wrong with it.

If you don't want to wait then.

If it is then I would advise that you set it up and download just two apps, Lumia system updater and the preview for developers apps. Update your system apps only and don't add any of your own apps. Then update to 8.1 and do a hard reset and again download the two apps above and update your system apps again.

Then enjoy your phone but bare in mind that if your phone is new it will take a while for the battery to be optimized plus 8.1 will probably not help either for the first couple of days.

Thanks for the response. I am so used to 8.1 that I really would like it right away, but I think you know what you are talking about. ;) I'll try to give it a week. Worst case, maybe update this weekend. :p

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I plan on getting this case:
Amazon.com: JKase DIABLO Tough Rugged Dual Layer Protection Case Cover with Build in Stand for Nokia Lumia 1520 (Yellow): Computers & Accessories

I wear cargo pants all the time and plan on the phone tagging along in my pocket.

I plan on sticking with this phone for a while, so all helpful tips to get me on a good start would be appreciated :D

I have that case and I found that the buttons loose lots of touch because the case is very stiff along the edge... so something to be aware of. This case:

Amazon.com: TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
(TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Nokia Lumia 1520)

...does not offer as much protection I think, but the buttons work better.

Cargo pants... yeap... mine goes in my cargo shorts... it's own pocket. A screen protector is a MUST! This phone will scratch... I'm using:

Amazon.com: 3 Packs EnGive Nokia Lumia 1520 High Definition(HD) Screen Protector Flim Ultra Clear with Cleaning Cloth: Cell Phones & Accessories

(3 Packs EnGive Nokia Lumia 1520 High Definition(HD) Screen Protector Flim Ultra Clear with Cleaning Cloth)

Which seems to work well so far...

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
~ScottGeek.

littlejay

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So far it seems to be going ok. The battery dropped 8% in the first hour but has evened out. It was half way charged out the box so I'll let it drain normally then do a full charge after that and see how it goes.

I have updated all the nokia apps and only installed the gift voucher app for obvious reasons :D
The few system updates after Nokia Black have been done. I have not done 8.1 yet.

Gmail and facebook have been connected, bluetooth is off (but I will be using it), and nfc is off as well.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not necessary to drain the battery anymore. Just plug it in and fill it up. NewUseritius has caused more phones to drain quickly than any app could ever do. LoL have fun and use it like you stole it.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

littlejay

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not necessary to drain the battery anymore. Just plug it in and fill it up. NewUseritius has caused more phones to drain quickly than any app could ever do. LoL have fun and use it like you stole it.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

Normally that would be the case. But I have done very little on the phone today. 2 text messages (and 2 received), got 2 emails in, and played with the camera a little bit. 76% left at 8 hours and 1 day 1 hour remaining. Does this sound normal? I do have wifi set to stay connected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo