Should i buy a nokia lumia 820

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
So my girlfriend wants to upgrade to windows phone from android ive been loving my 1320 for about 4months and she wants one but the 1320 is too big for her
so in wondering if the 820 is a ok choice or is there a better midrange lumia

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm a proud owner of a 820. It has everything i want so i can fully run all NEW things 8.1 can give... Also i believe that 4,3 screen is perfect size for a phone... And about battery with 8.1 i have seen great improvement. For anything else just ask... :) Plus the 1gb ram is a big pro...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it ultimately depends on the user.

The 820 is a fine device, offering a replaceable battery, an SD slot, and a couple shell variants, enabling Qi, changing color, etc.

The battery is a bit on the small side, but can be swapped and even upgraded.

Aakash Agrawal

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
There are loads of pluses for 820: great amoled screen, 1 gb ram, 8mp camera and replaceable covers/battery, sd card and what not. However you should also know the other side of the coin too. The battery, while improved with 8.1, will still leave you wanting. The phone does not come with a gorilla glass panel when much cheaper windows phone sport that thing. It is also a bit on heavy side but extremely well built (this is nokia after all).

All in all, I live within easy reach of electric outlet and have bought a screen guard. So I love my lumia 820. May not be every one's cuppa though.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
You could not ask for a better mid-range device. I bought a 925 to upgrade from my 820 and after using it for a few weeks gave it to my wife (upgrade from her 520) as I liked the 820 better. Especially since 8.1 is going to allow using the SD card for apps. I have a 64GB in my 820. The only negative I have ever had with it is the mid-size battery. But I average 1 day 13 hours between charges and I have a backup battery (that I have yet to use). I am hoping they come out with a 830 with a bigger battery and quad core CPU, and possibility a little bigger screen say 4.5 to 4.7,and maybe 16GB internal storage. If they do they will become my upgrade. Happy with my 820 until then. 925 is best looking Lumia they have; but 16GB storage with no SD slot and no removeable battery kills it for me. If it had 32GB of storage I might have stayed with it. Microsoft really made a big mistake in limiting the storage on the 925. She's a beauty though.

MChaney3563

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Been thinking of upgrading to a 820 from my 520. The one gig of ram is really pushing me towards it, plus the phone is affordable in my price range, so thats a huge plus.

herrie_abbink

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
The 820 is from the first WP8.0 generation and therefore well affordable. The hardware is somewhat dated but well enough for a decent performance.

pahutakz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Pls don't buy 820 because you will not get accessories. It has so many drawbacks like call voice issue , battery draining.
It depends on the user if the battery drain faster. 820 is good just like 920 and 1020 but the diff are the camera and the gorilla glass. No accesories? well it depends on the stores.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Go to Amazon and you will find all the accessories you can shake a stick at for the 820. You can still even get a 820 from them for about 200$ new and unlocked, wireless charging back covers in several colors, bluetooth devices, earphones, protective covers for the phone, protective covers for the screen, car chargers, wireless charging stations, extra batteries, SD cards in a ton of sizes, and etc, etc. AS far as the battery, I get 1 day and 13 hours adverage usage out of my phone and that is over a year and four months of tracking it. Not bad for a 1650 battery. And remember this phone has the same insides as the 920/925/928/1020, with a much smaller battery. I think it does pretty good if we do our part and set things up correctly. It even has glance screen.

claireggie

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
its temping because i recently found the penta band version.. but no pureview and gorilla glass kills it.

but its a good backup phone behind my 1020 ..

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I really like my 820. The largest flaw I can think of is battery but it gets me through a day of regular use without a problem, provided that I turn off services I don't use. It has really awesome AMOLED screen - I like it much more than 920's IPS, even though 920 has better resolution. Didn't really have any issue with the glass either. My girlfriend (she has 820 too) uses soft fabric sleeve and just tosses it in her purse. Nothing happened to her screen so far. We do have screen protectors, but that is kind of a given for any glass screen. Gorilla glass can scratch too. The camera is much better than I expected, the loudspeaker could be better but it is loud enough and clear up to about 80% of max volume. SD card slot is a great addition and as someone already pointed out the internals (cpu, ram, sensors, etc) are the same as much more expensive 920. Overall I am very happy with my choice and for the first time, since I started using smartphones, I don't even feel a pressing need of upgrading after year and a half of using that phone.

BIG ACH

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Going on one week with my Lumia 820 running 8.1 and the 3600mah external battery from Mugen makes this phone a true workhorse. Absolutely happy with my purchase.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I love mine. Although it came out over a year and half ago, it is still a relevant phone with a lot of great features. I like that the battery can be swapped easily, SD card support to 128 GB, wireless charging capable, AMOLED screen, and Glance. The camera could be better, but I don't take a lot of pictures, so it's not a big deal to me.

Citibadger

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently an iPhone 4s user, but hate it an have dabbled with Windows phone before. I tried an 820 which I tried about a year ago. I liked it an liked windows but found that it wasn't quite up to par with the iPhone. I keep reading that the 8.1 update has transformed things. I don't know whether to try the 820 again or try a 630,but the lack of flash and front camera is a shame. Also I found the apps needed a bit of polish, as they were a bit jumpy. So the 820 or 630? Just to clarify things, I have an iPhone but would be very happy to ditch it for a while! Any help much appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett