Converting from Note II to Lumia 1520|

Amunarjoh

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi y'all
I am expecting to receive a new L1520 in a couple of days (oh, how slow days can move on...)
My concerns are as follows:

Will it be too big?

Will the app availability disapoint me?

Beeing a flashaholic (flashing multiple new ROMs on a daily basis), will the firm boundries of WP8 bore me death? (Or is it actually so useful, that I rather start using its options?) :winktongue:

Being a bit insecure of myself, will my colleagues laugh at the ridiculous size of this thing...? (Actually I'm ironic :devil:)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
  • It WILL be too big... For many of us. For you? Only you know.
  • App availability? Search the store and see if the apps you need are there, or if there are alternatives. Only you can know if you'll be disappointed. I've been on Windows Phone since it came out, and I'm not disappointed. Do I wish there were more apps? Sure. Am I disappointed, though? No. But other people are. It's a personal thing.
  • Flashing? No, you won't be doing this. Unless you want to flash the factory-installed ROM.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi y'all
I am expecting to receive a new L1520 in a couple of days (oh, how slow days can move on...)

Will it be too big?

Beeing a flashaholic (flashing multiple new ROMs on a daily basis), will the firm boundries of WP8 bore me death? (Or is it actually so useful, that I rather start using its options?) :winktongue:

Being a bit insecure of myself, will my colleagues laugh at the ridiculous size of this thing...? (Actually I'm ironic :devil:)

- for a short time, then everything else is too small - it's bigger than the Note 2

- depends upon your use case - echo previous post, check the Windows Phone store for apps (or suitable replacements).

- NO flashing roms - only option is sign up for Dev Preview & d/l Win Phone 8.1 Dev Preview :cool::smile::cool:

It grows on ya ...

NO perfect phone, just perfect for YOU ...

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For me, it was too big only for the first 3 hours of use, but then the size became so normal and comfortable (and I came from a 4" phone).

Apps: I am not an appaholic and never really cared about app availability, so the Windows Phone store is already overwhelming to me and I am very happy with it and it's continuously growing.

Flashing: You can flash various roms into the phone as long as it's the same product type (ex: RM-937). Different roms may provide (or omit) some other minor features, or might remove branding, although you can't do anything crazy to the phone by flashing it.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the Note II and III for that matter... lots of people will tell you it's too big... yeah, whatever... best to try the phone for yourself.

Comparing this to the Note II, of which I have a nice bumper case on, beyond the actual size difference, the weight is not bad for the larger 1520. It did not take me long to get use to the 1520 size. As far as the grip of the phone, I had put a TUDIA case on it because I found the naked phone a bit slippery.

I've not really liked smaller phones...but anything larger than the 1520, I would not like either.

Now on the topic of apps available... this may be a challenge coming from Android. Bare in mind, this is not related to the 1520 but the nature of Android Play Store versus Windows Phone store. So far, there are a number of apps I do wish were either better on WP or available. Like the FB app on WP is lacking a bit, but the new beta FB app...seems better. But as I am lucking enough not to have to give up my Note(s), I can live with some of this.

Anyway, that's what I know... Best of luck with your new 1520... there is a lot to like about this device!

~ScottGeek.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I listened to a podcast and about the size of the L1520 and there take was: If you are prepared to adjust to a huge phone there will be no problems. But its all about what pants or jacket you wear with how big pockets and all. It's a requirement to be ready to adjust, and if you are (hey you used huge phones previously), there is no problem with the size. That's what I believe at least and since you used large phones already I believe you know what I mean and there is no issues.
Now for apps, visit www.windowsphone.com and search around for the apps, or just brows for fun. Most WP users are already aware about the app gap and might actually be pleasantly surprised at the not to shabby alternatives and selections.
Last but not least. Flashing roms was also my business before WP and I must say it was a relief to use WP and the no flashing thing felt like a large stone fell of my shoulders. WP is what it is, when you face that and finally over come the Android way of doing things, you will love it or hate it. By I say that's at least one month of daily use to wash away those Android thoughts.
Good luck with your phone, hope you love WP and stay.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I listened to a podcast and about the size of the L1520 and there take was: If you are prepared to adjust to a huge phone there will be no problems. But its all about what pants or jacket you wear with how big pockets and all. It's a requirement to be ready to adjust, and if you are (hey you used huge phones previously), there is no problem with the size. That's what I believe at least and since you used large phones already I believe you know what I mean and there is no issues.
Now for apps, visit The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) and search around for the apps, or just brows for fun. Most WP users are already aware about the app gap and might actually be pleasantly surprised at the not to shabby alternatives and selections.
Last but not least. Flashing roms was also my business before WP and I must say it was a relief to use WP and the no flashing thing felt like a large stone fell of my shoulders. WP is what it is, when you face that and finally over come the Android way of doing things, you will love it or hate it. By I say that's at least one month of daily use to wash away those Android thoughts.
Good luck with your phone, hope you love WP and stay.

I came from android where I had a Note 3, Xperia Z1 and a Nexus 7(2013) and it took me about 6 weeks before I knew I was staying. Google has now thankfully gone completely out of my life.

The only thing I miss is the waterproofness of the Z1 when I'm out on my boat.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi y'all

Will it be too big?

Too big....? No...but remember that you won't find the best cases for it. No Otter box....no Sedio..and the naked case is slick too..Get a Incipio ordered right away for it..

App gap disappointment...probably will disappoint you,there are a lot of new apps coming just about every day,but many won't be here for a while yet.

Being a ex-flashaholic myself with my Note II you have to ask yourself if the only reason you are a flashaholic is because you are dissatisfied with the Note2 or just have the need to see something new......if the later...then yes...you're going to be bored to death with it,if the former then you will soon get over your addiction and actually start using your phone more.If you have a ton of your own music and movies on yours,be warned,the 1520 and the Xbox player sucks for a player compared to you can have on your Note II...

Yes,your friends will give you a hard time at first,especially if they have smaller screens..that's normal..it's called little phone syndrome

You will most likely want to get the Developers preview for SD card support,this will allow you to tweak your home page some,but there isn't a fraction of tweaks compared to a rooted Note2.

My advice is if you get one of these phones,dive in load the developers preview...then start using it...you'll find that the camera capability is so far advanced than on the Note,you'll be blown away..it really is that good...streaming media is also great if you want to.......but remember what I said before about Xbox...Microsoft is working on it and put out updates pretty regularly,but right now it's not fully functional if you have a large collection of music and video content like myself and many others have.

Good luck 🍀

willstoc

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I found my Lumia 1520 too big as a daily carry. Too big for my hip pocket. I plan to replace mine with a Lumia 1020 with the 40 mpx camera. I found the Windows Store had sufficient apps for me to choose from. The camera apps were fine for my purpose, but I wished the Lumia 1520 had the 40 mpx camera. But in any case size too large for me.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Glad you like it,but,I would not be quick to get rid of your Note 2 for awhile. It's always nice to have a great back-up phone to fall back on incase something doesn't work out for you 😊

Amunarjoh

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Glad you like it,but,I would not be quick to get rid of your Note 2 for awhile. It's always nice to have a great back-up phone to fall back on incase something doesn't work out for you ��

Thank you. I will keep my Note 2 as my daily driver at work. It still does a pretty good job. But it isn't that delicous..... And frankly I've grown tired of the Android inconsistancy. The user experience is oriented against customization instead of user consitency and friendlyness.

Amunarjoh

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Have you got it ? Are you bored with it?
Mine should turn up tomorrow.. Wooooohoooooo !!

Received it yesteday. Bored....!? This is a new experience to me, and I spent the most of the afternoon yesterday to get into some of the functions of the system. And today I installed the 8.1 update, and there even more to digest.
The update seems to address my conserns in most every detail. From the notification panel to the updated calendars week view.

I am looking forward to getting familiar with the Lumia 1520. Very promising so far.
Hope you are happy with yours as well.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi y'all

I doubt that you will find it too big its what 5.4 inch diagonal and the 1520 is 6.0 that really not much. I came from a 920 to the 1520 and it was just fine for me and my hands are not that big.

As far as app availability I can't say I've never had an android or iPhone but most people say if the official app isn't available there's one very similar.

Flashing ROMs not much in the way of that right now but it could be coming in the future.

Will it be too big?

Javadevil

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Received it yesteday. Bored....!? This is a new experience to me, and I spent the most of the afternoon yesterday to get into some of the functions of the system. And today I installed the 8.1 update, and there even more to digest.
The update seems to address my conserns in most every detail. From the notification panel to the updated calendars week view.

I am looking forward to getting familiar with the Lumia 1520. Very promising so far.
Hope you are happy with yours as well.

Yep I'm pretty happy with mine, Though it is massive, massive is good but not for my pockets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo