920 screen cracked, replacement device is 1520....not sure how I feel

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm losing storage space and wireless charging. And honestly, the size looks massive. I just filed the claim so it will be a couple days before i receive it.

Anyone else come from the 920 willingly or unwillingly? How do you feel about it?

Luckily, my contract is up in November. So I'm hoping some new devices similar to 920 size wise and what not will be available.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Lucky YOU ...

You're gaining storage space - Lumia 1520 has an SD card slot, supports up to a 128gb card. With WinPhone 8.1, apps can be installed on SD card.

Wireless charging loss is an issue, there is a back cover to facilitate PMA (not QI) charging, but you'll also need a new charging pad. Alternatively, there is a QI plug in solution (could slide inside a case) ...

You're gaining a better processor / GPU, more RAM (2GB vs 1GB on 920), bigger / better screen, bigger battery / longer life, etc with Lumia 1520. Did I mention, much better camera.

I really don't know why you'd question it ! Use it for ten days, after you get it, then reply to this post. Let us know how much you like / dislike it.

BTW - it is massive, for about 3-4 days ... as I said, let us know after using it for 10 days.
You can have my old Lumia 920 for your Lumia 1520. The 920 was a warranty replacement (NU phone), about a year old in mint condition & I'll throw in the QI charging pad !

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
are you AT&T ?? the international 1520 comes with Qi charging installed its only AT&T that takes it out,
there is a mod like the 925 mod to give you Qi charging you just have to Google.
i, waiting for my 1520 to arrive and yeah its gonna be big but i really dont make tons of calls and when i do i normally have headphones on.

hope you enjoy your new phone & just think of the awesome games and movies your going to be viewing.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll reserve full judgement till I have it. Took me a while to get use to even the 920 size so I imagine this will take a while too

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The size takes a little while to get used to, but the 1520 is thinner than the 920 so this offsets the size difference nicely. Apart from the added horsepower and SD card, it's worth it just for the screen. It is truly beautiful. The 920 screen seems tiny and dim in comparison.....

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My only other suggestion is ... get a suitable case for it. The width + the thinness, makes the device a tad slippery - a case will add some grip !

FWIW - reasoning was to fit into my old L1520 holster (case was uncomfortable - squared edges, etc.) & it does ! The TPU cases would also work ... (link to my case was flagged ? - slim Cover On case ...)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If its any consolation, the 1520 is worth much more so you could go pick up a new 920, sell the 1520 and come out ahead.

Well, you are allowed to do that, right?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm losing storage space and wireless charging. And honestly, the size looks massive. I just filed the claim so it will be a couple days before i receive it.

Anyone else come from the 920 willingly or unwillingly? How do you feel about it?

Luckily, my contract is up in November. So I'm hoping some new devices similar to 920 size wise and what not will be available.

Is there really no way you could get a 1020 as a replacement?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My only other suggestion is ... get a suitable case for it. The width + the thinness, makes the device a tad slippery - a case will add some grip !

FWIW - reasoning was to fit into my old L1520 holster (case was uncomfortable - squared edges, etc.) & it does ! The TPU cases would also work ... (link to my case was flagged ? - slim Cover On case ...)

The slickness of the back of the 920 has caused me to drop it countless times. I should've gotten a case for ot

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I went from the 920 to the 1520 about a month ago for the same reason, a cracked screen. I had hoped they would send the 1020 as a replacement, but the Big Fella showed up instead. It actually made me laugh when I unboxed it. It's just big.

A month later, it's still big. It still seems big, too. I could operate my 920 entirely one-handed, no way with the 1520. That's an adjustment I'm not enjoying. It's awkward in my pants pockets too. The corners seem relatively sharp. Also, I miss the wireless charging very much.

On the plus side, it's definitely got snappier performance than my 920, which seemed to be slowing down somewhat. The screen is very nice and crisp (although I wish there were a tile size that stretched all the way across the screen). The camera is excellent. It's convenient to have microSD to hold photos, apps, music and maps. The battery life is a major plus as well. I use my phone a fair amount as an internet hotspot, and the battery on the 1520 just goes and goes.

It's a great phone, but I hope that we get similar features (maybe the 805 processor) plus Qi, with a five inch screen by the end of the year. I'm going to hang on to the 1520, though. I'll give it to my wife if the new models meet expectations. Her 920 seems like a toy in my hand now.

Have fun with your giant new phone!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It is a great phone with that huge screen to adjust to. I chickened out of getting one, but do not let your heart be troubled.

If its any consolation, the 1520 is worth much more so you could go pick up a new 920, sell the 1520 and come out ahead.
Well, you are allowed to do that, right?

Yes, once it is in your grubby little hands you can sell it and come out ahead if you do not like it. But the warrenty/insurance you carry is on the device, so you need to be sure you adjust for the loss of insurance on whatever you buy to replace the L1520. But that is solid advice- you could sell the L1520 for on average $450.00, often higher. A new in box L920 is no more then $250.00, and if you are patient you can get it much lower. I bought mine for $150.00 brand new, still sealed. The difference in price will cover any loss of insurance or buying other insurance if you want.

Excellent advice from @MDK22- try it for 10 days. If that amazing, vibrant screen and the improved performance of the quad core processor does not more then make up for the size and the loss of wireless charging, you will be out nothing.

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My 920's cell signal keeps going in and out so I decided to upgrade to a 1520 since I am now on Next. Looking forward to it. I was messing around with one in the store the other day and just thought WTF why not.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
My 920 main board went wacko killing email and calendar was thinking of the 1520 if I did not like the 930. the fritz made the 1520 an easy choice no email no calendar for more than a day was not unacceptable (I'm a lawyer) the in store sake for 99.99 as opposed to 199.99 made it even easier. I have a 64 Gb microusb sdxc UHS ready to install soon. If that works well I'm getting one for the dell V8P as well.

Arda Ozkal

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Heh, upgraded from 620 to 625 and broke 625s screen accidently, now I have 1320, I just miss the 2 block tile size sometimes, the other 8.1 phones can go to 3 block and 2 block but we re stuck in 3 :(

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from 920 to the 1520 after my contract expired. No mistake it is big. I have to take it out of my pocket every time I get into the car. I kinda miss the wireless charger, but I'll live. The battery last long enough where I don't have to put it down to charge it during the day. Because of the bigger size I notice that I do not use my other gadgets as much, i.e. Nexus 7 (2013), iPad (3rd gen), or even my 11" Windows laptop.

infinitelurker

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded a few weeks ago to the 1520.3 (I didn't want to give up Qi and wanted 32GB on board) from the 920 on AT&T. At first I was worried about the size as well, however, I am now totally used to it already and now my 920 seems tiny. I

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I got it. And its huge. Att failed to tell me the sim card slot is for a nano sim. Bastards.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte