Check phone number without ringing it?

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Silly question and I'm sure there's an easy answer I'm just not seeing.
Since upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1 I can't seem to check someones phone number without ringing it.
- I go into the Phone App
- Bring up my address book, find persons name and select it
- If I have two numbers for that person it brings up a screen showing both numbers and I can select one if I want to ring it.
- But if I only have one number for a person, as soon as I select their name from the address book it starts ringing them
- Which is annoying if I'm just trying to find out what their number is so I can write it down...or dial it from a different phone.

Am I somehow doing this wrong? Or is there a setting that can be changed to help? I thought under the previous Windows Phone 8 you could select someone and it would show you their number without dialing it automatically...but not 100% sure :)

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Do it via the people hub instead (skip the dialler completely). Same would apply to both versions... if you go into the phonebook via the phone app, it's implied you want to call that number (as you are in the dialler).

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think the people hub's gone in 8.1.
I had the same issue, I think you just need to go to edit the entry to see the number without dialling.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Nope, it's still there, just without the FB integration it used to have (ie in wp8.1 you need to install the app to get your fb contacts back in there).

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the people hub's gone in 8.1.
I had the same issue, I think you just need to go to edit the entry to see the number without dialling.

Huh? People is 100% there.

Like others have said, go to the People hub to view contacts. The dialer app assumes you are trying to call someone when you view contacts from it.

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
In the phone app, click the icon (circle with a silhouette person inside) to the right of the name. This will bring up contact info.

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Joel, yes I saw that...but it's from the 'History' page in there. So if you haven't called them in ages you won't be able use it for the person you want to look up...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos