How durable is Nokia Lumia 1520?

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone talk about their experience with the L1520 taking falls or other forms of pressure?
And what cases do you use and how has it protected your phone? (not minor protection like from scratches)

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine dropped his 1520 on a corner and it not only shattered the screen, it cracked the LCD display as well. That's a $200-250 USD parts-only replacement cost. He had his phone in the Nokia CP-623 case. It's not smart to go without a case if you don't have accidental damage protection.

I dropped my phone and ruined 1 CP-623 and cracked a corner on my current one. I was lucky to not damage the phone more.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I love the look of my 1520, but I always have a case on it. I bought mine off contact, so I look at my phone as an investment that I might list on eBay later on down the road. Rather than spend my money on LCD or screen replacements, I buy a new case every once in a while just to keep from getting bored with whatever case I'm using at the moment. The way I see it is that nobody drops their phone on purpose, so you might as well keep it protected just in case....no pun intended. 😊

cummy_bears

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I use a Nillkin case i got off amazon for ~14 and I use an illumishield screen protector. The case came with a screen protector but didn't try it. Case works well so far, dropped it twice on hard wood floor ~5ft, no cracks or scratches. It's also low profile so doesn't add too much thickness to this behemoth. The back is textured so that you get a better grip.

I'm trying to protect mine so I can resell it or use it for a very long time. The screen protector works well, it doesn't cover the whole screen because the curved nature of the screen so it on covers the flat part of the screen. The screen protector already has a few good scratches on their so I'm happy I bought it to protect the screen. So far pretty durable phone, hard to lose grip of I considering its size.
Had links for you but couldn't post them because I n00b so hard.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine has dropped 5-6 times, other than a few dinged corners (barely noticeable, the rounded corners really help with this) my phone is fine, I do however use a screen protector. Illumishield ftw

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have a horizontal case PU leather for the 1520. I have also bought and incipio feather hybrid case on eBay. The PU case is large enough to put the hybrid case on the 1520 and still remove it from the horizontal case. I used a similar case and incipio hybrid case with my 920. I t worked quite well

Glen Urbina

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Dropped mine 2 times.

1- Dropped it from around 6ft last week with no case, just some scratches in the top of the phone. Was on a shelf, was making up with my GF, one thing led to another... it was worth it, when I came back for my phone I almost had a heart attack when I saw it laying on the floor with the screen facing the floor.

2- Broke up with my GF and she did throw my phone pretty hard to the floor from around 4.5 ft, it had cheap hard case on, it opened up when it hit the floor and bounced a few times.
Case is totally destroyed, with a ton of scratches and in the corner it broke totally, its looks like someone hit it with a hammer. Got a scratch on the top left corner of my black 1520

Having a GF can be pretty bad for your 1520, but after 30 seconds with nail buffer/file it looks almost like brand new. It's HARD to see the scratches that are left, I'm sure I can get rid of them with care.

EDIT: Both times were on concrete!

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
After having the digitizer replaced on my Lumia 920 (& the hassle involved finally resulting in a new phone), I held off buying the Lumia 1520 until I could find a suitable holster / case for it. Found the holster / case, ordered it, ordered the phone (eBay ~ $425 NIB Red Lumia 1520) ...

Subsequentally ordered another case (carbon fiber snap together) & it fits in my old holster (YES !). Pocket mine most of the time, but for my day in the office (weekly), I holster it. The Lumia 1520, because of the shape, presents a challenge holding on to, besides it can be slippery. Like the new case (gives it grip, protects both screen & camera lens) adds minimal bulk & I carry it w case on always.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077