International ROM

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, gm08 the Windows Phone platform isn't at all like Android, so you're not going to find different versions of ROM's here. It's true you can debrand your phone, but mostly people would do that to make sure they were getting the non-carrier specific version of the WP operating system. Really there's not much point to doing this, as you're only really getting minor tweaks to signal etc. through a carrier's version of the WP OS, which you wouldn't notice or wouldn't really affect you if you put an Orange SIM in a Vodafone branded device.

In answer to your question, though, the best way to get the most up-to-date version of the WP8 platform, that's not carrier-specific is to use the Developer Preview. What does this mean? You can find out more about it here: All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Phone Central

In short, though, it'll mean you get the latest updates for free as they're released by Microsoft and once an official version comes out to everyone or there's a firmware update, you get that version too, just like everyone else. You might have some issues going back to a 'vanilla' version of WP8 once you've installed the Developer Preview but it can be done, you just need the Nokia Software Updater and a Lumia device to do it.

gm08

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey Muessig,
Thank your for your answer. I know that, as you said, I do not win much from moving to an international ROM, just the debranding, and some small features, but I just wanted to do it, since it could be done. I am already using Dev Preview in my 920, but I wanted to try the flashing in this one, just to get a little bit more inside the ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett