upgrade to 1520 or hold off?

jfreiman

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I had/have a Lumia 1020 and had the same question that you now are asking. Upgrade now to the 1520, or wait for a "930" or "1030" type device to show up on ATT.
I deduced that the 1520 was easily designed with Windows Phone 8.1 in mind. It was launched when everyone expected Windows Phone to get bumped up to 8.1, but got delayed. However, the phone (1520) was not delayed.
I convinced myself that the 1520 is a Windows Phone 8.1 device waiting for the OS to catch up to it. After the firmware update that comes with WP8.1 arrives, it should have every Windows 8.1 feature that the Icon/930 will have. Plus, these phones were designed entirely by Nokia and therefor support Glance screen. The Icon and 930 -- and future? Windows Phones may not support this feature. Especially now since Nokia/Microsoft has ceased development of the Glance app.
I love my 1520, even though it is a little larger than I would like. That said, it's battery lasts nearly 2 full days, I don't think the Icon/930 fares as well with it's smaller size.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 and 930 both have quadcore Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processors clocked at 2.2 GHz and they both have 2GB of RAM.

You are right, also Will6371. I was confusing it with my 1020. Apologies to all.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
(I also retract therefore my comment about the 1520 showing signs of age, which of course the 1020 does. My misteak.)

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You should maybe wait for the "McLaren" if you want a flagship or otherwise just go for the 1520 (it's a great phone)

I've thought about that, but if I go onto the Next plan I would be able to upgrade to something in a year instead of having to wait around. So that has been a factor in the thought process as well.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I recommend getting the 1520 version 2 as it has qi charging. As a 920 owner in sure you like the feature. Cases can add qi but if the qi case for my wife's 1020 is the same they are much more finicky with placement. I like setting my 920 down and not having to check each time to see if it registered the charger.

Does it state somewhere on the AT&T site that there is a version 2? I don't recall seeing anything like that.

Like I said, my 920 to a drop from the top of a freezer in a garage and since then the wireless charging just doesn't work. I did like it when it worked because I put a pad in the living room and one in the bedroom. But alas, now only my wife can use it with her 920.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I am a former 920 owner to 1520 user and I am quite satisfied with the decision. Of course you will have to get acclimated the size of the device but it is something that can happen as long as you accept the size of the screen. It is big but also very useful. The phone for me is great and I enjoy reading news stories, etc. I have had my 1520 for a few months and am completely comfortable with my decision. The 1520 may not have the best resale value now but once the iPhone 5.5" (if true) is release and the praises follow the 1520 will hold its value.

Why do you think it doesn't have resale value? I mean with the Note and Galaxy phones out, large screens are out there.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Size is relative. I'm 6'3" and my iphone 4 was just pathetically tiny for my hands. The 1520 works just fine and honestly, I don't care what others think.

Same height range here. Just wanted to get some sort of opinion of owners and if it would be worth the wait. Honestly I want a "phablet" so I am largely leaning towards the 1520 and will just see what is out there in a year.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Does it state somewhere on the AT&T site that there is a version 2? I don't recall seeing anything like that.

Like I said, my 920 to a drop from the top of a freezer in a garage and since then the wireless charging just doesn't work. I did like it when it worked because I put a pad in the living room and one in the bedroom. But alas, now only my wife can use it with her 920.

The charging problem on that 920 may be easy and fairly cheap to fix. Taking the 920 apart is just the two screws on the bottom and the wireless charging coil is just inside to plastic case and can be replaced easily. You can find the charging coils on ebay.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Worth considering also are the display differences between the 1520 and 930: 368ppi LCD versus 441ppi OLED. I can just see pixels, sometimes, on my 334ppi 1020, but such things may not be important to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion