upgrade to 1520 or hold off?

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
So I have an upgrade available. Currently on the Lumia 920. Wanting to stay in the Windows Phone realm and just wondering if I should just do it now and get the 1520 or if I should hold off and wait for the next phone to be released?

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The 1520, relatively to your 920, is big, and possibly beginning to show its age(?) though still superb. The 930 is not big, has faster processor etc., but is perhaps not yet available for you.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Each to their own. I was after the 1520 until I heard the 930 was coming out.

It's been a double edged sword though, glad I didn't get the 1520, as for me it's too large now that I've seen one up close.

However, the wait for the 930 is bordering on cruel!! :crying:

I'd definitely suggest getting hands on a 1520 if you can, some people like the size, others don't. Also the ability to have an SD card is a deal breaker for some, so that's worth weighing up too and may change your decision on what phone to go for. Happy Hunting!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Assumption is you're in the US & on AT&T ...

Depends upon your use case (& AT&T's continuing sub'd upgrades). Nokia McLaren s/b out just before Thanksgiving, but with 3D touch, who knows, could be delayed.

Currently the Lumia 1520 is the best Windows phone offered by AT&T. If the size won't bother you (doesn't bother me, or most, once they have it for a week) go for the Lumia 1520. Advantages are spec'd everywhere, big one is SDcard slot (supports up to 128GB card) & camera w the vibrant 6" screen - don't know about the next iteration.

Will you be able to wait for the next flagship ? You could wind up like that guy ^^^

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The 1520, relatively to your 920, is big, and possibly beginning to show its age(?) though still superb. The 930 is not big, has faster processor etc., but is perhaps not yet available for you.

Has a fast processor compared to what?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Get the 1520. Much better (larger) screen, expandable memory and 930 doesn't even have Glance. Once you've had Glance how can you go back to living without it?????

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

biotron2000

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I think the 1520 is the best phone out there, regardless of platform. I upgraded from a 920, myself. I can't believe I used to use that tiny thing!

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to the 1520 from my 920 in April. I would have preferred something a little smaller than the 1520 but still larger than the 920 but the option wasn't available nor announced and the 1520 was the only AT&T Windows Phone with updated specs. I'm happy with the phone overall. It's a little wide to hold with 1 hand but not too bad.
I evaluated the possibility of something new coming out before the end of the year, which now appears to be McLaren. There is always the possibility that it could be delayed, considering it has some new technology in it. What I did is I went with AT&T Next. It worked out okay because I have the 10 GB data plan that is shared with other devices and as a result I get a $25/month discount on my bill, but I have to make payments on the phone which are around $30 or $31/month I believe and the only thing I had to pay up front was the sales tax which was around $40 or so. So for an extra $5 or $6 a month I have my 1520 and have an opportunity to trade it in 1 year instead of being stuck with it for 2 years. By then we should know more about threshold and the combination of Windows RT and Windows Phone, assuming it isn't yet released, and an upgrade decision can be made at that time whether to go with what would then be the recently released McLaren or wait until the next flagship phone for the new version of the OS.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Assumption is you're in the US & on AT&T ...

Depends upon your use case (& AT&T's continuing sub'd upgrades). Nokia McLaren s/b out just before Thanksgiving, but with 3D touch, who knows, could be delayed.

Currently the Lumia 1520 is the best Windows phone offered by AT&T. If the size won't bother you (doesn't bother me, or most, once they have it for a week) go for the Lumia 1520. Advantages are spec'd everywhere, big one is SDcard slot (supports up to 128GB card) & camera w the vibrant 6" screen - don't know about the next iteration.

Will you be able to wait for the next flagship ? You could wind up like that guy ^^^

I am on AT&T. I am actually looking for a bigger phone. My 920 is good. It got dropped and the wireless charging stopped working so I have been cabling it anyway for a long time. The SD slot would be nice. better specs all around. Dunno if I can wait for the McLaren...If it doesn't get delayed the wait may be worth it although I haven't researched much into it as of yet.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to the 1520 from my 920 in April. I would have preferred something a little smaller than the 1520 but still larger than the 920 but the option wasn't available nor announced and the 1520 was the only AT&T Windows Phone with updated specs. I'm happy with the phone overall. It's a little wide to hold with 1 hand but not too bad.
I evaluated the possibility of something new coming out before the end of the year, which now appears to be McLaren. There is always the possibility that it could be delayed, considering it has some new technology in it. What I did is I went with AT&T Next. It worked out okay because I have the 10 GB data plan that is shared with other devices and as a result I get a $25/month discount on my bill, but I have to make payments on the phone which are around $30 or $31/month I believe and the only thing I had to pay up front was the sales tax which was around $40 or so. So for an extra $5 or $6 a month I have my 1520 and have an opportunity to trade it in 1 year instead of being stuck with it for 2 years. By then we should know more about threshold and the combination of Windows RT and Windows Phone, assuming it isn't yet released, and an upgrade decision can be made at that time whether to go with what would then be the recently released McLaren or wait until the next flagship phone for the new version of the OS.

I am in the same boat on that one. I would probably go to the next because it makes almost no difference in what my bill would be. Plus the benefit of 1 year upgrades.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Get the 1520. Much better (larger) screen, expandable memory and 930 doesn't even have Glance. Once you've had Glance how can you go back to living without it?????

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

I really don't use glance that much. An occasional time check, but other than that I don't have that much use for it.

Last edited:

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I mean that the 930 has a faster processor than the 1520. That wouldn't matter to me - the 1520 is plenty fast after all - but might be important to some users.

The 1520 and 930 both have quadcore Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processors clocked at 2.2 GHz and they both have 2GB of RAM.

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
So I have an upgrade available. Currently on the Lumia 920. Wanting to stay in the Windows Phone realm and just wondering if I should just do it now and get the 1520 or if I should hold off and wait for the next phone to be released?

I was in a similar situation. I had a Lumia 820 and I was wanting to upgrade to a more powerful, newer Windows Phone. I've been waiting for something in the 5" screen size with a micro SD card slot, but as I keep seeing the flagship 9XX phones released with no micro SD card slot and no new release for the 82X series I decided to go with the 1520. The only negatives for me at first were non removable battery and screen size thinking it would be too bug. The battery life is great and the screen is great (size and how it looks). I'm very happy happy with my upgrade and I don't think I can use a smaller phone again lol.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am on AT&T. I am actually looking for a bigger phone. My 920 is good. It got dropped and the wireless charging stopped working so I have been cabling it anyway for a long time. The SD slot would be nice. better specs all around. Dunno if I can wait for the McLaren...If it doesn't get delayed the wait may be worth it although I haven't researched much into it as of yet.

I recommend getting the 1520 version 2 as it has qi charging. As a 920 owner in sure you like the feature. Cases can add qi but if the qi case for my wife's 1020 is the same they are much more finicky with placement. I like setting my 920 down and not having to check each time to see if it registered the charger.

jive_inc

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I am a former 920 owner to 1520 user and I am quite satisfied with the decision. Of course you will have to get acclimated the size of the device but it is something that can happen as long as you accept the size of the screen. It is big but also very useful. The phone for me is great and I enjoy reading news stories, etc. I have had my 1520 for a few months and am completely comfortable with my decision. The 1520 may not have the best resale value now but once the iPhone 5.5" (if true) is release and the praises follow the 1520 will hold its value.

wxrman#AC

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Size is relative. I'm 6'3" and my iphone 4 was just pathetically tiny for my hands. The 1520 works just fine and honestly, I don't care what others think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99