My heart shattered the same way

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup...
image2106.jpg

Any idea how much will it cost to repair the damage?
First time dealing with these things.
The display and the digitizer are OK by the way, it's just the glass on top that is broken.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The glass shouldn't be too expensive to replace. You'll need a heat gun and replacement double-sided tape to attach the replacement glass to the LCD display. There are guides for "how to" replace the glass. Good luck!

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The glass shouldn't be too expensive to replace. You'll need a heat gun and replacement double-sided tape to attach the replacement glass to the LCD display. There are guides for "how to" replace the glass. Good luck!
I really do not feel like messing with it on my own, plus I don't own any of the equipment and have no idea even how to do it.
I'll consider it if I run out of options.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Folks with the unlocked 1520.3 should really look into getting protectyourbubble.com protection. It's just like insurance with ATT. Lot cheaper deductible though..only 100. Think ATT is 175-200. Haven't had to file a claim yet, but asked plenty of questions to ensure they'd replace with the dame phone.

Sucks for you right now and I know it hurts, so this doesn't help. Really sorry.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
There is a kiosk at one of our local malls that can fix many devices while you wait. They will replace the glass, screen and digitizer on my broken glass only, HD2 for approx $130.
Maybe Worth your time to look for something like that.
Good luck

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
It looks like Spider man came and made a web on your phone. By the way how did the glass crack ? I know how you feel....Hope you get it sorted out at the lest cost.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, Well, Well ... Seems like another bullet proof device hit by a gun ? .. "Hahah"
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/289548-true-bullet-proof.html
I sent to Nokia Care Centre and they charge me RM720 (USD 230) for full replacement and warranty remain until end of the year.
That seems like a lot. I barely paid 420€ for it, I don't think I can pull out another 100+ for a repair.

There is a kiosk at one of our local malls that can fix many devices while you wait. They will replace the glass, screen and digitizer on my broken glass only, HD2 for approx $130.
Maybe Worth your time to look for something like that.
Good luck
Thanks, I'll try something similar - a local phone repair service. A friend recommended it to me, he had similar issues though he's screen was completely broken. Told me it cost him 130€ for the full job.
I just hope I can only repair the glass.

It looks like Spider man came and made a web on your phone. By the way how did the glass crack ? I know how you feel....Hope you get it sorted out at the lest cost.
Damn you Spiderman!
Eh..it cracked preety easy. I did drop it once or twice without any damage, but now it was the stupidest. It slipped from my hands, slided on my foot and then slided another 2 meters on the ground (IDK the name of that "kind" of ground, google translate says slag).
It wouldn't even scratch but it hit a rock (the top right corner) and it just shattered. From now on I'll try not to play with my phone while I'm high.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear! I know the feeling.... I dropped my 1020 today. Was getting out of the car, forgetting I had it in my lap (with only the camera grip on it), and it tumbled onto the asphalt. (might be the word/material you're looking for) Got a good 1/4 screen spider web crack... much like yours. I think the guy in the "Do not buy a 1520" thread jinxed me! :eck: lol

All is good though! I have insurance and just got done filing the claim for a replacement yellow 1020 which will ship in 1-2 days. Yeah... I have to pay the $199 deductible (which gets tacked onto my monthly bill), but I'm looking at the bright side; I'll be getting a brand new condition (refurb) sexy yellow virgin Nokia Lumia 1020 to do a clean install of WP8.1 DP on! w00t!

cocotutch

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Just LOOKING at this causes me pain. I dropped my 1520 ~3ft from my breast pocket on my shirt, onto a TILED SURFACE and I flattened the corner a little. Seeing how much damage can be caused by this, I just ordered a case for mine now.

Best of luck with your repair!! :)

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If only that was just a wallpaper. Sorry to see that happened to your phone.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear! I know the feeling.... I dropped my 1020 today. Was getting out of the car, forgetting I had it in my lap (with only the camera grip on it), and it tumbled onto the asphalt. (might be the word/material you're looking for) Got a good 1/4 screen spider web crack... much like yours. I think the guy in the "Do not buy a 1520" thread jinxed me! :eck: lol

All is good though! I have insurance and just got done filing the claim for a replacement yellow 1020 which will ship in 1-2 days. Yeah... I have to pay the $199 deductible (which gets tacked onto my monthly bill), but I'm looking at the bright side; I'll be getting a brand new condition (refurb) sexy yellow virgin Nokia Lumia 1020 to do a clean install of WP8.1 DP on! w00t!

So you have to pay $199 even though you have insurance, would it not be cheaper to just get the glass replaced? I know that you're paying it over time on your bill but how much does it cost to replace the screen on a 1020?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So you have to pay $199 even though you have insurance, would it not be cheaper to just get the glass replaced? I know that you're paying it over time on your bill but how much does it cost to replace the screen on a 1020?
I have no idea how much it'd cost to replace the screen myself, by I'd rather not have to worry about it. One, I don't have to worry about whether the screen was a quality OEM part or not, and two, I don't have to worry about screwing it up by doing it myself. (I don't have much luck with small stuff like this) Plus I'm getting a whole new phone (refurb) where the body/back of mine has scratches on it too.. As well as the cracked glass.

Oh, and it's faster.. I bet I get my replacement phone before anyone can order a screen and "do it themselves". I've actually done this before too.. when I shattered the screen on my 920.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear what happend to you...
It's sad that they opted to the new money making system: make things so they break from the smallest damage so people have to buy it again.

As an update to my story, I went to a few repair services today (waited the whole weekend), just to get a few terrifying informations:

-No matter how much the screen cracked (if it's only the glass or whatever), you have to replace the WHOLE front module - aka the screen (display+digitizer+glass). The story is a lot different with Samsung devices, or iPhones where you can just replace the glass if the other two are working.
-None of the stores have what they need at themselves, they have to check with their distributers and then if they (the distributors) have it, they (the service) can order it. One guy even asked me what phone was that... just speaks how much actual support I have here.
-And 3rd, just from what I've seen online, the repair will cost me around 150€ which is ****** a lot. I barely got enough money for the device, and that is just way too much.

I'm so pist for multiple reasons and I am nowhere close to happy about my WP as I was before.
Even an update to WP 9.2 wouldn't cheer me up now.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sux bro, you'll just have to save up for a little to get it fixed. Good luck!

On a lighter note, I got the tracking info on my insurance replacement 1020... it'll be here tomorrow night! :)

Good thing too, because the LCD started acting up today. Changing all kinds of weird colors and half on half off etc. I see what they mean about the glass/screen/digitizer being all one part. My phone went from what I though was only the glass cracked, to an unresponsive touch and sporadic display output.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear what happend to you...
It's sad that they opted to the new money making system: make things so they break from the smallest damage so people have to buy it again.

As an update to my story, I went to a few repair services today (waited the whole weekend), just to get a few terrifying informations:

-No matter how much the screen cracked (if it's only the glass or whatever), you have to replace the WHOLE front module - aka the screen (display+digitizer+glass). The story is a lot different with Samsung devices, or iPhones where you can just replace the glass if the other two are working.
-None of the stores have what they need at themselves, they have to check with their distributers and then if they (the distributors) have it, they (the service) can order it. One guy even asked me what phone was that... just speaks how much actual support I have here.
-And 3rd, just from what I've seen online, the repair will cost me around 150€ which is ****** a lot. I barely got enough money for the device, and that is just way too much.

I'm so pist for multiple reasons and I am nowhere close to happy about my WP as I was before.
Even an update to WP 9.2 wouldn't cheer me up now.

Seems you pissed off at Nokia because your not able to hold your phone properly. Sorry if that seems harsh but it is the truth.

What would you rather, a phone that you can drop without breaking but has a okay display with a plastic screen or a phone with one of, if not the best display on sale today but with a glass screen that you have to be careful with. I know which one I would rather and that is one of the many reasons I have the 1520

Expensive phones are like expensive cars, if you can't afford to fix them if something goes wrong then don't buy them in the first place. It is like when I see people in certain cars that cost a lot new but then when it comes to changing the tyres they put cr@p cheap tyres on their cars because they spent all their money on the car.

It could be worse, a friend of mine had to replace the rear glass on his Xperia Z2 because it cracked when he was recording in 4k(known problem) but we were both at Goodwood festival of speed at the weekend and it cracked again but this time just recording in 1080p

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
That is kinda true, but come on, why not just do what everyone else does?
There's nothing bad about Samsung devices, and you CAN change just the glass on them.
Also, I know how to hold and use my phone, but **** happens.

Anyway, just got a text from the repair guy, he said that a original new LCD screen for a Lumia 1520 costs 250€ (close to $350).
I'm thinking of turning off my phone, putting it in the box, and going out of the whole phone-circus.

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my OEM replacement from Ebay, for $200. Replaced it myself. In hindsight, I would have spent the extra $100 for a local repair company to do it. It IS quite a PITA. I feel ya though. It does suck, but coming from someone who has had dozens of smartphones, over the past few years, screens break. Doesn't matter how strong the phone is.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my OEM replacement from Ebay, for $200. Replaced it myself. In hindsight, I would have spent the extra $100 for a local repair company to do it. It IS quite a PITA. I feel ya though. It does suck, but coming from someone who has had dozens of smartphones, over the past few years, screens break. Doesn't matter how strong the phone is.

Yes, ofc, they aren't made of stone, even then they would eventually break. However some break WAY TOO EASY, and yet cost TOO MUCH to repair.
My last smartphone (Nokia N8) fell atleast 30 times. If you look at the back of it, it looks like it came from a battlefield, however the screen has only one scratch (and that was me trying to see how much Gorilla Glass was actually tough and using a needle to test it) which is barely visible. That phone is still working after 4 years (just a few days ago I did a hard reset and overclocked it, works like a charm), and this glass cannon broke after less than 3 months.
For now, I used some sellotape to normalise the touch (it was going crazy lately) and protect myself from the shattered glass. Looks ugly, and it is, but that's the only thing I can do now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos